The old forum days

henho

I Beat Fidelshnitzer
Silver Member
Does anyone remember how wild the forums were a few years back, maybe before azb dominated? rec.billiards and the billiardsdigest forums had profanity, insanity, Fast Larry, and real-time accounts of shady gambling sessions. I started reading those forums when I first got into pool and they seemed to reflect the seedy reputation of the game. They became inane at some point and kudos to AzB for making all the right moves to become the major player. But sometimes, just sometimes, I miss those days!

Paul Mon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I miss the forums from a decade ago

I first found rec.sport.billiards and alt.sport.pool in early 1998. It was like finding the holy grail. Back then there were maybe 20-25 active posters and much was learned and discussed. Some of the flaming was too much to take and some was tolerable. I would go back in a heartbeat. Since then I've still learned a great deal and continued to make new friends but those were the good old days. Do a search of RSB and read some of the topicics anytime between 1999 and 2003. I won't drop names but there is a who's who of writers there and fortunately some are still here.

Paul

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wasnt playing pool when those forums were going, I was on watch and car forums so i missed out on them. I'd like to go read them.

Are they archived in a way that they can be read again?? Or they gone?

AZB is great, Its about the only forum I spend any time on, 1P.org Im there some too. There is alot going on in pool that dosent get posted here or anywhere for good reason. I think that Mike/Wilson/Jerry have done a great job with AZ!!!

cuesmith

BEEN THERE, DONE THAT!
Silver Member
I first found rec.sport.billiards and alt.sport.pool in early 1998. It was like finding the holy grail. Back then there were maybe 20-25 active posters and much was learned and discussed. Some of the flaming was too much to take and some was tolerable. I would go back in a heartbeat. Since then I've still learned a great deal and continued to make new friends but those were the good old days. Do a search of RSB and read some of the topicics anytime between 1999 and 2003. I won't drop names but there is a who's who of writers there and fortunately some are still here.

Paul

Yes I remember those days. I was pretty active on RSB back in the day but that idiot Fast Larry ruined that forum! That's about when I came to AZ. Now I don't even know how to access the user groups through my yahoo mail server the way I used to. I have checked RSB through google but found I could not post. Oh Well, I get enough from AZ to keep me going.

just more hot air!

Sherm

JDB

Idiot Savant
Silver Member
Does anyone remember how wild the forums were a few years back, maybe before azb dominated? rec.billiards and the billiardsdigest forums had profanity, insanity, Fast Larry, and real-time accounts of shady gambling sessions. I started reading those forums when I first got into pool and they seemed to reflect the seedy reputation of the game. They became inane at some point and kudos to AzB for making all the right moves to become the major player. But sometimes, just sometimes, I miss those days!

Ahhhhhhh, the days of Mountain Mike and Sincerely Sam.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member

Rec.Sport.Billiards pre-Larry was the NUTS. I mean we had some awful flame wars but in the end it was all good. But when Larry came on he wrecked it with his pyscho-stalking.

I mourn the loss of the old RSB.

I have grown to like AZ. It's as addictive but not quite as much fun.

"CaliRed".

High Def Videos!!!
Silver Member
Maybe this will take you back a little

Below is a screen shot of my newsreader with some threads from back in 1997. I was checking out some backups I made from back in those days... it's kind of cool to go back in time 12 or so years:smile:

rsb.jpg

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
I didn't get started until 1999 on BD's CCB. I really enjoyed that as well. It was pretty civil as I remember... a lot like AZB. There are more than a few former CCB'rs here on AZB.

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member

From searching on my name there it seems like I started yapping about 1995 ... sorry about that folks :eek: . The whole FL thing really wiped out that group, but I think this format is better anyway, NNTP is old and nowhere near as functional as HTML based systems. The best thing I learned on rsb was the URL for AZBilliards.

Sherm, I remember you from rec.crafts.metalworking where I learned (from you) that cuemakers used metal lathes .... who knew :confused:

Dave