The Ultimate US Mosconi Cup Team

What exactly are you saying? If you're not born here, you're not a real American? I hope your viewpoint has nothing to do with skin color...

Not at all, lol. For example, if someone has ever represented another country in their pool career they shouldn't be able to be on the mosconi cup team imo. I remember a thread where everyone was talking about the lack of team chemistry on the mosconi team last year or the year before. Someone (jcin? i think. . ) noted/joked that maybe part of the problem was that our captain, C. williams, had represented korea in the recent past (i don't have time to find thread, but i'm pretty sure that was the gist). bustamante has probably represented germany before, but usually represents the phillipines. should he be able to be on team europe?
 
Since most people believe that the Mosconi Cup is simply a fantastic, made for television spectacle (and I mean "spectacle" in a very positive way) complete with all of the excitement that one could hope for, I think just slightly different.

I would like to see the Matchroom Sports pick a team one year in advance. That would give the players a chance to gel with one another, perhaps practicing in Mosconi Cup atmospheres around the country.

Also, I think each team should have one UNDER 21 member on their team. My pick for the U.S. Team would be Landon Shuffett without hesitating for a minute. This under 21 member could become a popular sensation with the younger crowd and even the old guys and girls would pull for the young'un. The older members of the Mosconi Cup teams could share their experience with the younger player, hoping to make it a successful outting for him.

It's always fun to see a fresh face in pool and the Mosconi Cup would be no different.

Finally, I believe the Mosconi Cup Captain should be picked a year in advance, to give that person time to form a plan to bring out the best in the Mosconi Cup Team and that the term be for a minimum of two years. The way it stands now, a couple of months is hardly time enough to accomplish much of anything.

Additionally, I believe the Mosconi Cup should have targeted marketing to the pocket billiard industry. The goal should be that the Mosconi Cup grow in spectator numbers each year. It's becoming the year's favorite event to watch (especially since we were finally able to watch it live on ESPN2).

Matchroom Sports is doing a great job but it could be improved. The Ultimate U.S. Mosconi Cup Team could be chosen differently for sure but I like the idea that most of the members have earned their right on the team and also that a member or two can be selected by Matchroom Sports as they see fit.

But the truth is I wouldn't mind seeing a Mosconi Cup qualifier held in the U.S. in a similar atmosphere with cheering and jeering fans just like this past year. Players like John Schmidt and Danny Harriman (and many others) could take a swing at one of the spots. These two guys don't play in a lot of events but when they do, no one has to like playing either of them.
 
Had been interesting to hear some, "Behind the scenes of MC".

I do agree it had been nice to see some Asian players in MC. But not in the US/EU team. I think they could put together a very competetive team on their own. The world of pool have grown much bigger since the MC started and maybe it's time for a change?

Edit:
America, South- and North including Canada, Europe, Asia. (or EurAsia). That might be the "modern" World of Pool.
 
Last edited:
You know and I know Lenny, that the game of nine ball is a crap shoot at that level of play! Any player could put together a strong performance at any time. It's all about the break! Fat Boy is right! After a full season of Bonus Ball, the Americans would be powerful. Imagine having six pockets to play into after a season of three pocket! Yehaw! A turkey shoot!

I believe that a filipino team would be champions if they were to play a World Series of Bonus Ball! Come on Larry and Nathan, let's see this happen in the near future! USA, Europe, Asia, Philippines, Canada and Germany! That would be the A-side division and bring in six other countries to fill the field! You got the venue and you got the technology to broadcast something spectacular! Nothing more exciting than world events!
 
Last edited:
Back
Top