The Wonderful World Of Billiards , Snooker , Pool etc !

church66

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Florian 'Venom' Kohler

28dgat nNtngaoveombtmecr lSpatdo s22nsssonh:n4red1dc ·

Some heavy action straight from Brazil.... The size of those pockets though
😱

church66

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
https://newsthump.com/2021/01/06/ja...v576rOxu87OjmsS2tJAnfI2YRHITNcSXR434wqo5qZgOE

Wednesday 6 January 2021 by Lucas Wilde

Jacob Rees-Mogg joins parliament via video call from the billiard room​

Mogg Zoom calls

Jacob Rees-Mogg has been sure not to miss a day’s work.
The anachronistic MP and former Quentin Blake illustration dialled into Prime Minister’s Questions from the billiard room – which is only the 17th poshest room in his house.
“Billiards is a bit like pool, but for quality people,” confirmed Rees-Mogg.
“I thought coming live from some kind of games room might make me seem more relatable – like my colleagues do when they throw in a copy of Harry Potter in amongst the Voltaire and the Margaret Thatcher biographies on their carefully arranged bookshelves.
“Is a billiard room posh? It’s not nearly as fancy as the library, the dining room or the hall of exotic stuffed animals.”
Rees-Mogg’s butler, Simon Williams, who himself has a net worth of four million pounds, told us, “I did recommend a background consisting of posters of popular contemporary music acts, such as the Monkees or REO Speedwagon.
“But that would have required the purchase of said posters and the Master deems that a waste of money.”

Satire of course or is it ?

church66

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Free snooker betting tips for 2021 World Championship including Mark Selby :​

https://www.sportinglife.com/snooker/news/antepost-angle-world-snooker/187702 :

Quote .

"
Richard-Mann1-f16d7db8-1b9e-45de-a9bd-31636272e190.png

Richard Mann · Journalist
15:07 · December 23, 2020 · 7 min read
In the latest instalment in our Antepost Angle series, Richard Mann previews the World Snooker Championship, where a former Crucible champion already makes plenty of appeal.

Snooker betting tips: World Championship​

2pts win Mark Selby at 9/1
  • When: April 7-May 3
  • Where: The Crucible, Sheffield
  • Defending champion: Ronnie O'Sullivan
The Sporting Life's Richard 'Tricky Dickie' Mann is back with more Snooker betting tips .

Just remember I tried that trick of who gave the World Champion the best match at 2019 and I thought Thepchaiya Un -Nooh gave Judd Trump a great game so it became an outrageous E/W bet for Un-Nooh to win the 2020 title but secret agent Covid-19 scuppered that plan but put the money back in the account as a non runner . Thepchaiya Un-Nooh of came through the qualifiers , drew Ronnie O'Sullivan and got whacked 10-1 .

Richard "Tricky Dicky" Mann is using the same logic here , who gave the world champion Ronnie O'Sullivan the best match and I agree it was Mark Selby but I'm in no rush to try that trick again ! ;) ;)

Here is that final frame :

Judd Trump vs UN-Nooh เทพไชยา อุ่นหนู Betfred World Championship 2019 : R1 The Decider :​

church66

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Satire.....

https://newsthump.com/2021/01/09/st...zpTQQwnTV5LbJObDVKuj87uK6fBeGHPD5geaMkCqWzRRI

Saturday 9 January 2021 by Dan Sweryt

Steve Davis banned from Parler for years of extremely moderate views​

Steve Davis kicked off parler

Former snooker world champion Steve Davis has been banned from Parler after years of extremely boring, moderate, non-inciting views.
Parler spokesman – because he’s a man, NOT a ‘person’, right? – Chuck Williams, said, “Davis has been permanently suspended due to the complete lack of extreme views, resulting in users not even shrugging in response, which is not what the app – indeed any app – is for.
“Regardless of our background as typical leftie technologists, we saw a gap in the market for right-wing views and exploited it and now we have to stick rigidly to those principles.
“As such, moderates are not welcome on our platform. It’s a complete lack of balls using the character limit to not say anything of any consequence!
“Even the version of pool Davis plays is moderate in the extreme!”
Davis subsequently, took his time leisurely starting a new account, posing as Cliff Thornburn, before declaring war on some foreigners in order to meet the platform’s minimum requirements.

President Trump banned from social media etc . I got a 24 hour Facebook ban for sharing a video the other night that I thought was funny but Mark Zuckerberg obviously didn't but the last time I seen him on TV he looked like he'd morphed into an alien ! ;) :)

church66

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Richie Allen Show .

Here's Tuesday's Show. Thanks so much to Stephen Lendman and Peter Ebdon.

The Richie Allen Show

150x150_15287328.jpg

The Richie Allen Show Tuesday January 12th 2021
The Richie Allen Show

Have a listen to the first 7m 30 seconds of the show and it seems to sound like the Irish have eradicated the flu.....

Fast forwards to around the hour mark for former World Snooker Champion Peter Ebdon's interview .

https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/richieallen/episodes/2021-01-12T11_36_30-08_00

The Richie Allen Show :

church66

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The Mighty Mita​

By Elliott West :

https://greenbaize1972.com/the-migh...qijH7GnpBuhpmSxJpIemMOO-4eSZEFTOTb6LNOA-f_EhQ :

Introduction

Devised by Barry Hearn and held in January, 1991 at the NEC in Birmingham, the Mita/Sky World Masters was a tournament that was based on the Grand Slam format in tennis. Comprising of men’s singles, doubles, women’s singles, doubles, mixed doubles and a junior event, players had to win a match by two clear frames. If the players were still level, there would be a tie break deciding frame with just one red and all the colours.

The Tournament

Broadcast on the original Eurosport and presented by Dickie Davis, this event was initially overshadowed by the news that Alex Higgins was allowed to participate in it despite a ban after punching an official. Some of the players participating in it, threatened to boycott it in protest of the decision. However in the end, Alex bowed to pressure and withdrew, being replaced by Stephen Hendry.

With a record prize fund of £1000,000, the winner of the men’s singles stood to win £200,000, a pay out that was more than the winner of the World Championship at the time. During the tournament, James Wattana made the ninth official maximum break in his match against Paul Dawkins but ironically it was not televised. Additionally the later controversial figure, Quinten Hann, then a mere thirteen years old, became the youngest player to make a century break.

Comprised of a commentary team of Peter Brackley, Mike Watterson, Jim Wynch, Paul Wade, Willie Jameson and Phil Yates and a roving reporter, Matthew Lorenzo, this tournament had the makings to run and run. It was also broadcast across Europe with Rolf Kalb being the German commentator. Practically all the familiar faces of the day were there and were joined by the youthful John Higgins and Mark Williams. However sadly, in the end, this non-ranking event became a one hit wonder with the tournament being scrapped after the first after failing to secure a sponsor.

The Final

Men’s Singles

Jimmy White v Tony Drago 10-6

Women’s Singles

Karen Corr v Stacey Hilliyard 6-2

Men’s Doubles

Mike Hallett/Stephen Hendry v Brady Gollan/Jim Wynch 8-5

Women’s Doubles

Allison Fisher/Stacey Hilliyard v Karen Corr/Anne-Marie Farren 5-2

Mixed Doubles

Steve Davis/Allison Fisher v Jimmy White/Caroline Walch 6-3

Juniors (under-16s) John Higgins v Mark Williams 6-1

Summary

This tournament had the potential to be very successful but for some reason, has become a standard joke amongst players with some players refusing to play in it. Attractive prize money may have contributed to its demise, paying out a hefty prize to the winner of the Men’s Singles but the failure to secure a sponsor, was the final nail in the coffin. The event showcased some famous faces but also featured names like Danny Fowler, Steve Longworth and Steve Newbury that are sadly forgotten by the modern audience. A snooker golden nugget that deserves to be brought back or at least, aired again.

IMG_03391149.jpg
Jimmy White winning the Mita/Sky World Masters Men’s Singles in 1991

church66

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

There’s a Hurricane Blowing!​

By Elliott West :

https://greenbaize1972.com/theres-a...DNejsilQbFTPYTnF6KG6yzowaMtfs-q00ROBONNgsq8gw :

Introduction

Snooker has always prided itself on a smart dress code with players in years gone by, having to wear a tie for afternoon play and a bow tie for the evening session. In current times, this code is still used today with the odd exception, most notably, Stephen Maguire who is exempt as he has a Doctor’s note. Although there is still high compliance, many players still complain privately and sometimes publicly that wearing any form of tie, constricts you on the shot and you can still be smart without one. That’s why you often see a player with a tie at half mast or quickly removed when a match is at its closing stages.

Alex’s angst

If you cast your minds back to the 1970s and 1980s, I am sure you can remember a whole catalogue of tales about Alex Higgins. However for the purpose of this piece, let’s concentrate on the subject matter in hand. Alex was renowned for challenging the rules and a perfect example of this was an incident that occurred at the Tolly Cobbold Classic in 1983. In his first round match against Dennis Taylor, Higgins complained to the referee that the television lights were making him too hot and asked permission to remove his tie. The referee consented but Taylor didn’t agree with the decision, complaining the act was in breach of the rules. Dennis’s objection added fuel to the fire for an already agitated Alex, who was already not happy by the state of the match table and he later commented to the media about the incident saying:

“The referee gave me permission to remove my tie. I am very perturbed Dennis complained”.
Alex Higgins
IMG_0002_NEW1057-1-scaled.jpg
The ‘Alex tie incident’ captured in the press
Alex went on to lose the match, 4-2 to Dennis Taylor but couldn’t hep himself by having the last word:

“I didn’t mind losing anyway, because it’s only a Mickey Mouse tournament”.
“Nobody sweats more than me but I didn’t even have to wipe my hands during the match”.
Alex Higgins
However, subsequent to his outburst, Higgins had time to reflect on his actions. Alex was either spoken to or hopefully was just feeling guilty for what he said. A public apology ensued and Higgins agreed to donate his £1,000 earnings from the tournament to charity. A meeting took place between Alex and the director of the sponsor, the brewer, Tolly Cobbold, Patrick Cobbold. Cobbold who was also the director of Ipswich Town Football club, was drafted in as a mediator to directly resolve the matter. An argument that was largely a ‘storm in a tea cup’. A happy ending to an incident that didn’t reflect Higgins’ close association with the tournament and the good friendship that the player had with John Peachey, the co-director of the event.

IMG_0001_NEW1077-1-scaled.jpg
Alex’s apology in the Evening Star
b72530a7-2524-4ab9-910c-27a7a33709071097.jpg
The tie cartoon
2bd6e294-5ec2-4470-958a-a1d23d53934e1095.jpg
A Tolly Cobbold cartoon. Thanks to Mike Peachey for providing the newspaper articles and the cartoons.

Summary

Alex Higgins reminds me of Ronnie O’Sullivan with his long list of media outbursts. This one, although it quickly blew over with an apology, was important in the respect that organisers did start to look at dress code in greater detail for future tournaments. A number of events have since been played without the need for a tie but it was clear that Alex Higgins was never a fan of this neck accessory in a tied or bowed form and was quick to dispose of it at the earliest opportunity. Essentially Higgins was harmless and reacted when backed into a corner in the media boiling pot. He was a divisive figure but clearly a genius of the sport.

church66

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
https://greenbaize1972.com/the-high...2f0QI0-37UVWKv09_xdHSFpI8JSEocQBg2wuWYbCbYR0w :
Snooker Loopy
The Trials and Tribulations of the Baize

The Highest Break​

By Elliott West

Introduction

You have heard the one about Alex Higgins breaking his leg before the 1989 Irish Masters but have you heard the story about Willie Thorne breaking both legs? Willie or WT as we fondly remember him, sadly passed away last year after a battle with leukaemia. However his legacy remains for all to see, from helping kick start the career of Mark Selby with his brother Malcolm in the family run club in Leicester to having an enviable record of making over 200 maximum breaks and 100 centuries over nineteen seasons. A player who won the 1985 Classic and reached the final of 1985 UK Championship and the 1986 British Open as well as six non-professional titles and both Under 16 and Under 19 titles.

The Incident

In 1981, Willie Thorne was involved in a very nasty accident when he went go-karting. As a result of a high speed crash, Thorne broke both of his legs and had to have them put in plaster. Most people would have taken it easy and observed a period of recuperation but anyone who knew WT are aware that was not his style. This man didn’t like to be inactive for long and was always keen to get back on the saddle at the earliest possible moment.
Shortly after his accident, an opportunity arose when a diary event materialised. A host role at the North-East v South-East Post Office team billiards championship at his club in Leicester ensued and during the competition, Willie was persuaded by the organiser, John Posner to play a couple of frames against a club member during a break between rounds. WT still had one leg in plaster at this time. Knowing the popularity of the event, the second year it was being held at his club, Thorne jumped or maybe hobbled at the chance.
An electric performance unravelled in-front of a packed audience despite arriving cold to the table. WT promptly compiled a maximum break to the pleasure of the crowd, his thirteenth in his career and was one that must have given Thorne extreme pleasure knowing that he drifted in and out of position several times during the frame.
“That didn’t bother him, he simply cocked his plaster leg over the table to get a better sighting of the ball”.
John Posner

Summary

Willie was a gentleman who I was lucky to be a friend of. Despite the negative press he received for his inner demons, the WT I knew was someone who was always at the other end of a phone for you, encouraging and inspiring me in and out of his presence. It is strange but even though he has gone, I still think he watches over me and sometimes hear that distinctive voice giving me a piece of advice.
This incident is typical of Thorne and his sheer love for snooker. Even when he was in acute pain, he was willing to play and entertain. I know this first hand, having been lucky enough to spend some time with my pal at the World Seniors in Sheffield, the last time I saw him before his passing. Even when Willie was very ill, he was still speaking to friends and family on the phone and was always interested about how you were. He had a big heart and was never afraid to shed a tear. A dear friend who I never grow tired of writing about.

Willie Thorne’s Career Achievements

1969 National Under-16 Snooker Championship (runner-up)
1970 National Under-16 Billiards Champion & National Under-16 Snooker Champion
1971 National Under-19 Billiards Champion
1972 National Under-19 Billiards Champion
1973 National Under-19 Billiards Champion & National Under-19 Snooker Champion
1975 English Amateur Snooker Championship (runner-up)
1980 Pontins Open Champion
1981 Pontins Professional (runner-up)
1984 Pontins Professional Champion, World Doubles Championship (runner-up with Cliff Thorburn) & Warners Open (runner-up)
1985 Mercantile Credit Classic Champion & Scottish Masters (runner-up)
1986 Hong Kong Masters, Matchroom Professional Championship, Pontins Professional (runner-up), Canadian Masters (runner-up), Irish Masters (runner-up), British Open (runner-up)
1987 Kent Cup, Irish Masters (runner-up), Irish Masters (runner-up), Pontins Professional (runner-up), Matchroom Professional Championship (runner-up)
1989 New Zealand Masters
1994 Australian Open (runner-up)
2000 World Seniors Masters
IMG_03471151.jpg
Willie Thorne in plaster with crutches

God bless Willie Thorne and that story made me smile and I will tell you why .

A mate of mine had a 50p E/W bet on the Greyhounds and he said if this last one wins meet me in the pub , we're getting drunk so it was a 4 timer and they all won at huge odds , last winner was the shortest odds @ 9/2 and he was true to his word and got me drunk , thing was I tripped on a kerb and next day my left foot was squidgy , think I bust it . No sooner was it healed and I did the same with the right foot and had to use crutches .

Big Tam our Pool Team captain had bought tickets to a Willie Thorne exhibition at The Crucible in Clydebank and Willie took time out to ask me what I done to myself and I told him . I never had the sense to ask for an autograph .

If you get the chance to go to an exhibition , just go , they are good fun ! ;) :cool:(y)

church66

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Snooker Loopy
The Trials and Tribulations of the Baize :

The Underground Referee​

By Elliott West

Introduction

Snooker is my passion and as you must be aware, it takes quite a lot of research to create each written piece. So prior to me publishing this blog, I was pleasantly surprised when I stumbled across the subject of this article in my research. To my joy, I found that John Smyth who some you will remember was a prominent snooker referee in the 1970s and 1980s, originally worked as a tube driver on the Piccadilly line and worked for London Underground for 28 years and was a Piccadilly line snooker champion six times.This fact made me smile because like John, I am currently a Customer Service Supervisor for London Underground at Victoria station and have worked for the company for 19 years. I also found out recently whilst doing my family tree that my Great Uncle, Cyril Bull was a Station Foreman at White City tube station from the 1940s onwards. It certainly is a small world!

Snooker Career

Born on the 28 May 1928 in Dublin, John Smyth moved to England when he was 21 and started a career as a Piccadilly line driver. With a keen interest for snooker, John homed in on his skills and combined them with his passion for the sport, turning his attention to becoming a snooker referee. He started referring in 1967 and oversaw his first match at professional level when he presided over the 1973 Norwich Union Open between Sid Hood and Jackie Rea. A match that Hood won 4-0.
Smyth became a full-time referee in 1978 and refereed two World Championship finals, firstly in 1977 when John Spencer beat Cliff Thorburn, 25-21 and Alex Higgins’ famous second World Championship title in 1982 when he defeated Ray Reardon, 18-15. John also oversaw the maximum break made by Kirk Stevens against Jimmy White in the ninth frame of their semi-final bout at the 1984 Masters at the Wembley Conference Centre. A break which earned Stevens, £10,000 and was only the third televised 147, the second of Kirk’s career, made so special by the other being made in practice.
Smyth became a household name in the 1980s when snooker was at its height, thanks largely to excellent marketing and the limited number of television channels at the time. John rubbed shoulders with all the snooker greats of the time from the Spencer/Reardon rivalry years, the Steve Davis era through to the start of Stephen Hendry’s dominance. Smyth recognised this surge in popularity for snooker and so decided to retire from London Underground and concentrate his attention in a career as a professional referee. John reflected on this decision later, saying:
“I spent 28 years on the Underground, but gave it all up when snooker began to get big on television. John Street, John Williams and myself, got more and more work as the circuit grew. In the end, my employers saw more of me on TV than they did at work. People told me it was daft to give up the Tube, and that I’d never earn a living from snooker. They said it would never last on TV, but they were wrong”.
John Smyth
The Irishman was also a pivotal figure in the setting up and implementation of the Professional Referees’ Association in 1977 and became the PRA president in 1997. Smyth retired from being a referee on the professional circuit in 1996 after a long and illustrious presence in the sport. A stickler for perfection, Smyth once commented on one of his errors, a wrong call in a Ray Reardon-Alex Higgins match, 10 years on from when it happened, in 1974:
“Players get to know you, you’ve been together for so long, at so many tournaments, they realise you’re only human and they forget your mistakes easier than anyone else. But if you’ve had a bad match, you find it hard to get to sleep at night”.
John Smyth

Summary

John Smyth was a key figure in the history of snooker refereeing. A man who was widely respected in the sport and who oversaw some of the iconic matches of the period. A man who spilt his career between driving passengers the length and breadth of the Piccadilly line to becoming the overseer of the snooker rule book in a match environment. A snooker legend who remains preserved in our minds and film, John sadly passed away in 2007, aged 78 after a battle of his own with cancer.
Image-11163.jpg
John Smyth pictured to the left of Cliff Thorburn, centre

Last edited:

church66

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
https://greenbaize1972.com/flash-ha...uVLeOn-f1JECq2QTQYO7CAMgC2nR5ZVJaJ9a04zmaoAC4 :
Snooker Loopy

Flash Harris​

By Elliott West

Introduction

Snooker has produced a number of memorable players over the years and one such person is Bob Harris. Nicknamed ‘Flash Bob’, Harris was expelled from school, aged 15 and began playing snooker for money. Described as having a “raw talent on the snooker and pool table”, Bob was a real character on the circuit and used to hustle with Tony Meo and Jimmy White.

Career

As an amateur, Bob shone and made a championship record break of 123 on his way to the southern area final of the 1981 English Amateur Championship. He was beaten in the final by Vic Harris, 9-13. Turning professional in 1982, Harris’s first stab at a tournament, was the 1982 International Open, where he he lost 4-5 to George Scott in the qualifiers. He also did well in the 1982 UK Championship, defeating Graham Cripsey, 9-6 and Mike Watterson, 9-3 in the qualifiers to reach the first round. He was then beaten, 6-9 by Patsy Fagan.
In 1983, he entered the UK Championship again and won his matches against Eddie McLauglin, 9-8 and 9-3 against Jack Fitzmaurice. He subsequently lost again in the first round to Ray Reardon, 7-9. This progress was equalled in the 1985 Grand Prix where he reached the last 32 stage, beating John Spencer, 5-4 before losing to Terry Griffiths, 3-5. His best performance at the World Championship has to be in 1988 when he had wins against Patsy Fagan and Eddie Sinclair before losing to Eddie Charlton, 4-10. He also reached the last 96 of the Welsh Open in 1992 and 1993 and round 3 in 1995. Harris also did well in the 1994 European Open, making round 4, the 1994 Dubai Classic, reaching round 4 , the 1995 International Open, reaching round 4, and the British Open in the same year, round 3.

Conclusion

Bob Harris never made the heady heights of the top 16 but did get to a high of 45 in the rankings. He lost his place on the tour in 1995 after competing in the Welsh Open, reaching the last 256, falling to 188 in the rankings. Bob never played a professional match again and made professional career earnings of £42,948 and spent 14 seasons as a professional. A player that will never be forgotten in the snooker community and one that the former referee Alan Chamberlain clearly remembers, refereeing his first match between Bob Harris and Steve Davis at the 1983 Lada Classic.
IMG_0193888.jpg
Bob Harris

Share this:​

Like this:​

AuthoradminPosted onDecember 22, 2020

4 thoughts on “Flash Harris”​

1. ab57ac646584ae48480bf8f97034a1cd
    John Bennettsays:
    December 22, 2020 at 8:23 am
    Hi Elliott, I love your work, especially giving us some info on lesser known players, however I think you have done Bob a bit of a disservice with quoting his professional career earnings as £3,867 quite some distance behind cuetrackers figure of £42,948
    1. avatar
      adminsays:
      December 22, 2020 at 7:06 pm
      Hi John, have amended the figure, thanks for pointing that out to me.
  2. c481af83018d9080625c8f1f0f7e1db6
    Simonsays:
    December 22, 2020 at 10:05 pm
    Shows the class on the London Scene ? Never saw Bob play but reminds me of the same ilk of Joe O’Boye? Talented but not able to translate their ability in professional tournaments? I loved punching above my weight as my highest break was 106 but I beat amateurs far more able than myself…I love these throwback posts.
    1. avatar
      adminsays:
      December 23, 2020 at 7:42 am
      Thanks Simon
Comments are closed.

Post navigation​

https://greenbaize1972.com/im-alright-jack/

church66

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
https://greenbaize1972.com/im-alrig...recw-u4TIxtaOcyvfPLLonG1XG4FsBrb9f5_OWkcMs0_M :
Snooker Loopy

I’m alright Jack​

By Elliott West​

“An authentic talent”
Phil Yates

Introduction

One of the current stars of the snooker tour, has to be, Jack Lisowski. A close friend of Judd Trump, Jack has long been tipped to be champion material but has struggled to reach his true potential. Lisowski freely admits that he suffers with confidence issues and often “gets excited” when he is about to reach the winning line. However recent events show that he has managed to curb this burst of energy and has proved this by reaching the final of this week’s Grand Prix after beating Mark Selby, 6-4 to line up a mouthwatering match with Judd Trump.

Background​

Jack was born in Cheltenham in 1991 and was diagnosed in 2008, aged 16 with Hodgkin’s lymphoma. As a amateur, Lisowski displayed great potential, reaching the final of the 2007 Junior Pot Black, losing to Mitchell Mann, 0-1, won PIOS- event 1 in 2009 and the English Amateur Championship and PIOS -event 8 in 2010.
Turning professional in 2010, Jack joined Grove Leisure to refine his game and with his illness in remission, Lisowski started to flourish. Over the following years, Lisowski moved deeper and deeper into tournaments and by 2018 was reaching finals. A string of finals ensued, 2018 – Riga Masters, 2019 – China Open, Scottish Open and the Championship League. This has culminated in him reaching the final of this week’s Grand Prix.

The Future

Lisowski has the credentials to be a multiple tournament winner and at the time of writing this piece, has the chance of beating Judd Trump in the Grand Prix final. Like his great friend Judd, Jack has a very attacking style of play and loves to impress with his fast style of play. Now 15th in the world rankings, Jack could quite easily be a top eight player. He clearly doesn’t fear any opponent and has the metal to win. Perhaps now is his time and he can win a title instead of being the journeyman that he has become in recent years.

Conclusion

Jack Lisowski has been as high as 11th in the rankings, made £709,746 in career earnings, made 201 centuries and achieved a maximum break at the 2012 World Championship qualifiers. Pretty impressive for a player who has only been a professional since 2010. Lisowski is a fine cue smith and deserves the run of good form that has fond in recent years. A player who will be on the circuit for many years and hopefully a plethora of trophies.
IMG_0188867.jpg
Picture courtesy of Sporting Life
Since writing this piece, Jack lost 7-10 to Judd at the Grand Prix but was praised for his courageous fightback when many thought he was out of the match.

church66

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
https://greenbaize1972.com/the-1948...fwM0ZgmE1Z9P8fp28QY5Dlugk19CKlXmwDD4SNKpAuUpY :
Snooker Loopy

The 1948 Sunday Empire News Tournament​

By Elliott West

Introduction

Held in the post war years and the same year as the Festival of Britain, the 1948 Sunday Empire News Tournament was a non-ranking, professional event, sponsored by the Sunday Empire newspaper. Using a round-robin format that hadn’t been used since the Daily Mail Gold Cup before the Second World War, the competition was played in the famous Leicester Square Hall, formerly Thurston’s Hall. This was the only time that this event was held under this name and was re-named the News of the World Tournament the following year but used the same format.

The Tournament

Held over two months between 11th October until 18th December, 1948, the competition was made up of five players, Joe Davis, Fred Davis, John Pulman, Walter Donaldson and Sidney Smith. Played to a backdrop of an era where Clement Attlee had swept to power in 1945, this was a time of hope and rebuilding a country whose buildings had been largely destroyed by Hitler’s Germany. Snooker during this period, was in its infancy, played over long periods of time and endless frames but gave the working man, the opportunity to purchase a ticket and to witness the electric atmosphere of the snooker environment.
Prior to this tournament, there was a qualifying competition with John Pulman being the victor. Pulman would later win the World Championship in 1957 and again in the years between 1964-1968 but on this occasion, it was Joe Davis who was the dominant force. Davis made his 300th century in his match against Sidney Smith and his brother Fred made breaks of 138 and 139 in the competition. Joe Davis also almost broke his record of 140 which he had scored earlier in February. On a break of 123, Davis missed the blue when a 141 break was possible.
In the end, Joe Davis topped the table of the five players with 8 points, winning £450 for his efforts. John Pulman came second on 6 points, topping up his prize winnings by being the winner of the qualifying competition, earning him £150, totalling £250 for his second place in the main tournament. Joe’s brother, Fred, received 4 points, receiving £150 with Walter Donaldson and Sidney Smith in third and fourth positions. The final match was contested between Joe and Fred Davis with Fred winning 36-35 but his brother won the tournament on points difference.

Summary

Joe Davis was the original goat of snooker and dominated the sport in the early day of the game. A master of billiards and snooker, he and later his brother, Fred caused carnage on the baize and won a hoard of silverware and titles. Playing in iconic venues like the Leicester Square Hall, Joe brought colour to this black and white era, exciting and mesmerising the audience that flocked to spend their hard earned money for a chance to witness this snooker artist perform. Joe and the others of his era, were trailblazers of the modern game, putting their stamp on snooker, a game that would ebb and flow to its modern form.
IMG_03841196.jpg
Joe Davis playing with his brother Fred Davis beside him

church66

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
https://greenbaize1972.com/the-1976...recw-u4TIxtaOcyvfPLLonG1XG4FsBrb9f5_OWkcMs0_M :
Snooker Loopy
Snooker Loopy

The 1976 Canadian Club Masters​

By Elliott West

“Probably the best television snooker tournament I think I have ever seen”
Fred Dinenage

Introduction

Touted as a rival to Pot Black, the Canadian Club Masters was a tournament that was broadcast on Yorkshire Television and shown over eight weeks. With Fred Dinenage as the presenter,Ted Lowe on commentary and Stan Brookes as the referee, this was Canadian Club whisky’s first venture into snooker and was filmed at the Northern Snooker Centre in Leeds. Yorkshire Television had already dabbled in snooker with earlier projects of a pro/celebrity snooker series and the International tournament in the previous October in Sheffield.

The Tournament

Set in a room where the audience were literally on top of the table and the audience and players smoked profusely, the players didn’t even have a seating area and used to sit on the stairs either side of the audience in between shots. The Tournament itself was a non-ranking event and had six main players with two additional players, the Northern amateur snooker champion, Roy Andrewartha and Embassy Invitational winner, John Virgo. Both Roy and John joined the others through an invitational knockout prior to the tournament itself.

The Final

The final was pitched between two familiar faces of the era, Alex Higgins and Ray Reardon. A match that went fairly close with Alex beating his rival, 6-4. In the last frame, Reardon was in the balls but broke down on the last difficult blue along the cushion. One point ahead on a break of 23 (55-54), Ray double-kissed the blue and left it potable for Higgins, close to the right corner pocket. This was like shelling peas for the Irishman and potted the blue and pink, leaving a solitary black for the referee to scoop up after the match. Alex smiled liked a Cheshire Cat, producing a fist pump and then a bow before returning to his section of the stairs and taking a quick puff on his cigarette. He was then presented by Alastair Dow, the UK Regional Director of Canadian Club whisky, a silver plate and prize money of £1,000.

Main Draw

Quarter-Finals (Best of 5 frames)
Alex Higgins v Graham Miles 3-1
John Pulman v John Dunning 3-2
Ray Reardon v Roy Andrewartha 3-2
John Spencer v John Virgo 3-0
Semi-Finals (Best of 5 frames)
Alex Higgins v John Pulman 3-0
Ray Reardon v John Spencer 3-1
Final (Best of 11 frames)
Alex Higgins v Ray Reardon 6-4

Summary

The Canadian Club Masters was a short-lived tournament but was important because it gave an insight into the progression of snooker as a sport at the time. This was a transition phase where the mix of the smoke filled room met the start of a tournament environment. The surroundings may be crude at the time but the Northern Snooker Centre in Leeds was quickly becoming a powerhouse of snooker in the north of the country. Hosting tournaments like the Webster’s Open, the building attracted a host of players at the time and was to continue to be a major training ground for the sport up to the present day.
IMG_03731180.jpg
Ray Reardon

Higgins wins the Canadian Club Masters 1976 :​

Imagine that folks , the good old days or you might say the bad old days of snooker when the players sat on the stairs smoking and drinking with the audience between table visits . ;) :LOL::cool:(y)

Last edited:

church66

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
https://greenbaize1972.com/setting-...-zru2EkLATCSjljlXhfv3nfScpkzWouSI3NrGuR1dk9co :
Snooker Loopy

Setting the Standard​

By Elliott West

Introduction

In every sport there is always a trailblazer and none more so than in women’s snooker. In the modern era, the first person who would come to mind, is the twelve times World Champion, Reanne Evans but cast your mind further back and your finger will hover above the name, Allison Fisher. Born in Cheshunt in 1968, and started playing when she was only seven years old, winning her first title when she was seventeen. Fisher has a phenomenal record in both snooker and later billiards and pool, clocking up 80 national titles and 11 world titles in total.

The Rise to the Top

Allison Fisher is a instantly recognisable face of women’s snooker and can be found promoting the sport in many media appearances, pictured with many players of the time and often appeared on the BBC programme, Big Break, alongside presenters Jim Davidson and John Virgo. However away from the media spotlight, Fisher was busy carving out her cue sports’ career, primarily in snooker. Like any true champion, she had the true hunger to win and spent a large section of her snooker, career in the 1980s, attempting to be part of the male, professional tour.
Turning professional in 1991, thanks to a change in the snooker entry ruling, Fisher now only had to pay an entry fee. Her professional career on the women’s tour then took off and spanned from 1991-1997. Prior to turning professional, Allison had already won the Women’s World Snooker Championship, an amazing seven times and had frankly already set the standard in the female game. Excluding her World Championship titles, she additionally won nine titles between 1985 and 1995, a combination of single and doubles titles.
Frankly, Allison’s professional snooker career, doesn’t do her justice as a player. The tough grind of the qualifying booths, meant she had to compete in a pool of 500 players, having to win consecutive matches, to have a whiff of a chance of playing on the main tour. I have heard many tales from players past and present about their days of trying to qualify at places like the Norbreck Castle Hotel. Some like it and others loathed it, causing a few to seriously look hard at whether they wanted to continue this arduous crusade.
Allison was one of those snooker players that became disillusioned with this crusade. She also felt that she wasn’t getting the same respect as the male players. Her best performance in the qualifiers was in at 1994 World Championship qualifiers when she reached round four, losing to Roger Garrett, 10-4. By 1997, Fisher had lost her professional status and after searching long and hard, decided to make the brave and bold decision, to move to the USA and attempt to reinvent herself as a billiards and pool player, joining the WPBA, winning a swathe of titles between 1995 and 2012, including being a four times World 9 Ball champion, a World Games Gold Medallist and a winner of fifty plus WPBA billiards titles.

Summary

Allison Fisher is undoubtedly one of the best female players that has ever graced the snooker circuit. She has shown that gender has nothing to do with ability and paved the way for other women to home in on their natural ability and play snooker or any cue sport to the highest standard and level. Allison made her highest break of 133 at the 1992 Dubai Classic qualifiers, had 11 century breaks, highest ranking of 191 in 1995, her best performance, reaching the last 96 of the 1992 Dubai Classic and made an astonishing £5,773,460 in career earnings. A lady who represented sport on a national and international level, Fisher was voted ‘Female Player of the Year’ in 2007 and was inducted into the Billiard Congress of America Hall of Fame in 2009. She is also a pool commentator for Sky Sports.
IMG_03271005-1.jpg
Allison Fisher

Share this:​

Like this:​

AuthoradminPosted onJanuary 13, 2021

2 thoughts on “Setting the Standard”​

1. c481af83018d9080625c8f1f0f7e1db6
    Simonsays:
    January 13, 2021 at 9:30 am
    Great stuff mate. Class blog again. Alison had a wonderful cue action. She also had a great temperament and held her own on many occasions in those harsh qualifying rounds. Classy lady and the best female player to have graced the game in my opinion.
    1. avatar
      adminsays:
      January 13, 2021 at 10:47 pm
      A trail blaizer

church66

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
https://greenbaize1972.com/playing-...7EnqAqkjGCxuQwIOxGlvHSksCkXNjt12-gouGJBsuVVVI :
Snooker Loopy

Playing with Numbers​

By Elliott West

Introduction

Alex Higgins was definitely one of the best players of his generation and I would personally class him as a genius, a title reserved for a select few in snooker. Like an artist, he created a break from a blank canvas and was never afraid to veer away from traditional play. He took on the shots that few would dare to play and often refused safety play for that of the attacking variety. Known for his drama on and off the table, this lad from Belfast, was a Triple Crown winner, winning the World Championship in 1972 and 1982 and a string of numerous titles. He would play on a main stage or in a working men’s club, simply because he loved and breathed snooker.

A Night to Remember

In the 1970s, maximum breaks were as rare as hen’s teeth but in 1976 Alex Higgins came close when he produced a 146 break. Playing against Willie Thorne at the Leicester YMCA in a £100 challenge, Higgins sunk sixteen reds and sixteen colours, to set a new world record, that was described as “nothing short of brilliant”. Having already knocked in a break of 118, in the third frame, this Irish Hurricane put the icing on the cake by manufacturing his record-breaking achievement in the fifth frame.

This display of magic all started when Willie Thorne committed a foul stroke on the blue at the start of the frame, giving Higgins the opportunity of a free ball. Alex elected the brown, then the green followed by the next fifteen reds and fifteen colours, clearing the colours for a total clearance of 146. An elated Alex later said after the match:

“I hadn’t realised that I could beat 147. I had an opportunity to play for the black with the next to last red, but opted for the blue. It’s a feat I could have spent the rest of my life trying to repeat”.
Alex Higgins
Higgins was a dominant force on this occasion and blew away Thorne on his first, professional debut. Willie experienced a 10-0 drubbing at the hands of Alex, taking the first three frames in three quarters of an hour and in the first ten frames, he had seven breaks of 70 and over, including two centuries. Thorne did however manage to save grace by winning two frames in a specially arranged, best of nine challenge after the match but still was defeated 5-2 by the Hurricane. Willie later commented jokingly:

“What time did the match start? Seriously though, Alex was just great. I did have a touch of flu, but you could say I caught a cold!”
Willie Thorne
Jim Kerr who ran the club later said of the two day event:

“Higgins’ play on the first night had to be seen to be believed – he never missed”
“And just to put the record straight, a lot of things have been said about Higgins’ behaviour recently, all I can say is that his conduct over the two nights was exemplary”

Jim Kerr

Summary

Alex Higgins was a snooker player who even if you like him as a person, you couldn’t help admiring him. He was like a snooker Marmite that you either loved or loathed but I haven’t heard of many people who actually hated him that much. A genius who could destroy his opponent on the baize and produce safety play that tied the other player in knots. A player who literally knock balls off the lampshade and more than often pot continuous balls that produced electric breaks, mesmerising to view. A craftsman that plied his trade with his and one that is sadly missed.

IMG_03531155.jpg
Alex Higgins