There is a First Time for Everything-a surprise with my recent cue purchase Here

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, I thought that I had seen just about everything when it came to acquiring cues via the internet. I had quite a surprise this morning when I visited my local cue maker/repair guy's shop with a very recent cue purchase here on AZ. First of all- let me say that I really love the cue, the price was fair, and I played with the cue on Tuesday and it just plays FANTASTIC- I mean better than most of the customs from some top makers that I have owned- that is saying something about a cue.

So I have absolutely no regrets on the purchase, already gave positive feedback to the seller, which, I believe, was deserved.

The cue, looks to be an old Adam as advertised, came with a jet black linen wrap, It had the old style Bushka MOP dots and notched Diamond patterns in the ebony sleeve and ebony points. All along I planned to change the wrap to white with green spec linen, as I love that traditional look on this style cue.

Well when I received the cue, the black linen wrap felt sort of sticky to me, I attributed that to the extreme heat during shipping time- 8 days from WA. to FL. in the summer months - and I was going to replace the wrap anyhow- so, no worries. This morning, as my cue guy had the cue on his lathe and started to un wrap the cue, he discovered that the cue, in fact already had an original white with green spec wrap- someone had used black shoe polish to change the wrap color to jet black.

This was a first for him, too! We stood amazed as the wrap was coming off the lathe in small pieces with all this black gunk! Well, it all came out really nice by 10 AM this morning- before and after pics below! I informed the seller, I don't think that he knew about this as he did not own the cue for much time at all.

I guess that is it always buyer beware- just glad I got the cue- it plays so well and looks great now to me- and glad that no one else here bought the cue wanting it with a black wrap - eventually the wrap would have exposed itself as a fugazy!:):) adam2.jpgadam1.JPG

tg_vegas

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Well, I thought that I had seen just about everything when it came to acquiring cues via the internet. I had quite a surprise this morning when I visited my local cue maker/repair guy's shop with a very recent cue purchase here on AZ. First of all- let me say that I really love the cue, the price was fair, and I played with the cue on Tuesday and it just plays FANTASTIC- I mean better than most of the customs from some top makers that I have owned- that is saying something about a cue.

So I have absolutely no regrets on the purchase, already gave positive feedback to the seller, which, I believe, was deserved.

The cue, looks to be an old Adam as advertised, came with a jet black linen wrap, It had the old style Bushka MOP dots and notched Diamond patterns in the ebony sleeve and ebony points. All along I planned to change the wrap to white with green spec linen, as I love that traditional look on this style cue.

Well when I received the cue, the black linen wrap felt sort of sticky to me, I attributed that to the extreme heat during shipping time- 8 days from WA. to FL. in the summer months - and I was going to replace the wrap anyhow- so, no worries. This morning, as my cue guy had the cue on his lathe and started to un wrap the cue, he discovered that the cue, in fact already had an original white with green spec wrap- someone had used black shoe polish to change the wrap color to jet black.

This was a first for him, too! We stood amazed as the wrap was coming off the lathe in small pieces with all this black gunk! Well, it all came out really nice by 10 AM this morning- before and after pics below! I informed the seller, I don't think that he knew about this as he did not own the cue for much time at all.

I guess that is it always buyer beware- just glad I got the cue- it plays so well and looks great now to me- and glad that no one else here bought the cue wanting it with a black wrap - eventually the wrap would have exposed itself as a fugazy!:):)View attachment 717900View attachment 717901
I didn't think I'd like the look with green/white linen but I really like it on that cue! Nice job.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I guess that is it always buyer beware- just glad I got the cue- it plays so well and looks great now to me- and glad that no one else here bought the cue wanting it with a black wrap - eventually the wrap would have exposed itself as a fugazy!:):)View attachment 717900View attachment 717901

Sweet.

Lou Figueroa

mistamikel

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is this an old stock, unmarked (except with a sticker) Adam's Bushka?
I've been sooooo freaking close to picking one of these up.
Can I ask, if it is the old stock Adam, how is the hit ? And what would you compare it to?

dquarasr

Registered
Apologies for the thread hijack. Someone gave me the plain Adam. It had a dark green wrap, which needed to be redone. I asked my local cue maker, Ed Petersen of EAP Cues, to rewrap it in black to go with the EAP CF shaft he made for it. I use it as my player. Plastic joint.

I scored the other Adam for $80 on FB Marketplace. It has the classic white/green wrap. I don’t know/remember which model it is (nor the other one), but I don’t think the points are inlays. I suspect they are decals. No matter, I really love how these cues play. The CF shaft fits on both. Metal joint so balance point is about 1.75” forward compared to the other.

I also got the Adam case here on AZB.
1694194122660.jpeg

sneakynito

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have one of these unmarked Balabushka tributes with two shafts. Think mine's the Lou Butera one.
I've held on to that one longer than any cue i've had. Super sweet cue. Hit's real nice. Highly figured BEM. sharp points and nice ring work.
They look even better in person. Congrats on the purchase.

DeadStick

i like turtles
Gold Member
Silver Member
Love the looks of those cues.

Question: are they made basically the same as an original Bushka, in regards to splicing?

And are they available in a black wrapless handle?

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is this an old stock, unmarked (except with a sticker) Adam's Bushka?
I've been sooooo freaking close to picking one of these up.
Can I ask, if it is the old stock Adam, how is the hit ? And what would you compare it to?
I just am not even sure if it is an Adam- there are no maker markings on the cue. it is a 5/16- 14 not 18 joint screw. it does have the thicker silver joint rings. The construction is very, very good. The cue plays like a genuine Japan Adam GB cue, solid hit , firm but with good feedback through the handle area. My guess would also be Japan Adam mid 90s or so - this is what the cue repair guy thought as well and he is a very experienced cue dealer.