Thinking in pictures vs words while playing

Bluewolf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
bruin70 said:
it is a curse to be born with a natural talent to for pool.

There was a time when I was obsessed with becoming better at pool. i spent all of my mental energy, even though I did not want to be a pro.

One day the light came on and I realized that some other things are more important.

I became relaxed, stopped thinking and just shot for the pleasure of the stroke, the clicking of the balls, etc.

Then I started playing better. When I was doing thinking and analyzing, I played bad.

There is an eastern principal called non attachment. Once attaining this state, there is no ego and pool is played like moving meditation

Laura

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
Laura .... Hardly ever is pool played without an ego, especially by younger guys. Ever hear of sharking? Where do you think that arose from? ... <laughing>

As you get older and have played a lot, especially in big tournaments or money games, you learn to put your ego aside more, and use your brain more to accomplish your goal of winning the match. There is much more to winning than just making a ball, but that is the ever first step to winning everytime. What is the difference? Well, it's the difference between a 7.1 and 7.9, an 8.1 and 8.9, etc.. I shoot you guys all the time that are considered my skill level, but they only beat me 1 oir 2 times out of 10, because I have experience, knowledge about the game, and know how to come out the winner (able to focus in on their weak spots and use them against them).

T

tshot

I don’t know about shooting with images or words. I prefer tunes. Let the loud rock play while I am shooting. While it is I am more focused on the song rather than the table. And when it is my turn to shoot, I don’t overanalyze the shot. How I will shoot that shot and the next comes quicker than if there is no music on. When it’s quiet, I will consider a more than one way to shoot or more than one ball and 9 times out of ten I end up shooting originally what I was going to. I don’t second-guess myself; if there is good music on I just shoot.

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
Larry ... Thanks for the kind comments. You hit the nail on the head when you said when a winner gets himself (or herself) in position to win, they usually do. That positioning can be many things, like keeping the advantage in the game after each shot, either by running the balls, or perhaps locking someone up with a safety so that you will most likely get ball in hand or at least a better shot than before the safety.

I love hill to hill matches. They are exciting, and it is interesting and fun to see what the players do in that final game, besides backing up and doubling the bet, that is. I track my hill to hill matches, and I have a 88-90% win rate in hill to hill matches. I view it as a test to see how tough I am a competitor for my skill level.

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Kmart Blue Light Special may be on it's way out but matching up isn't. Curiosity killed the goat and the young player is curious and is willing to match up badly hoping on hope that he may by some quirk win. One sign that I notice is the cough when he is nervous and if you hear it you need to apply the pressure. Conversely if you ar coughing you are nervous and may not play your best game.
A good shark is to cough when you don't need to - but to convey that you may be nervous and give false confidence to your opponent. Another shark is to faint a lack of confidence by stalling like getting down getting up and getting down over and over again - it takes your opponent out of his game for it gets on his nerves. Money games unlike tournament games cannot ask for the clock.
To me sharking isn't a display of ego but a measured manipulation of your opponent by annoying your opponent to take him out of his game without having him trying to attack you physically. Or you can be sarcastic like Amos in "The color of Money" saying that a great shot that he made was just luck and can't happen again so let's keep playing. So sarcastic dialogue is another great sharking technique. When you put on the sharking suit you become a used car dealer that hasn't met his quota for the week and needs to make a sale to pay the bills.
The hustler must pay the bills himself or find a backer who he usually also hustles and the sharking takes on another color - convincing the backer that he is worth backing - it's a wonderfull world isn't it?