Thinking of getting a new cue, need opinions

Z3R0

Wolf in Wolf's Clothing
Silver Member
I currently have a Players(21 ounce) that I've been using for about...probably five years now. Just recently had it refurbished and it's a great stick, but I'm wanting to get another 21 ounce. Haven't decided what would be a good manufacturer.

Not really looking to spend more than $800 on a cue for now, but I've been looking at some Viking and a couple of Predator cues. Anyone have any references for quality and dependable cues in this price range?

Thanks in advance for any advice, all of it's welcome.

Z3R0

Wolf in Wolf's Clothing
Silver Member
Bump. Would really be interested in hearing some suggestions based on past experiences.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Viking has shut down production so I think any warranties would not apply if you are buying a new one.
The only cues I can speak about are the ones I have played with.
For the lower price range (under $200) a Lucasi will work just fine. For the upper price range a Pechauer or a Schon would be fine.
Now having said that I think the Schon will hold its value the best if you ever decide to sell it.

rrussotwo

Jedi Knight
Silver Member
Gracio

Check with Scott Gracio for a custom.

His work is incredible and his prices are fair.

He guarantees his cues for life as well.

He is Graciocues here on AZ and a GREAT guy.

Mine is #2 in my sig. Click it for a much larger view.

Z3R0

Wolf in Wolf's Clothing
Silver Member
Check with Scott Gracio for a custom.

His work is incredible and his prices are fair.

He guarantees his cues for life as well.

He is Graciocues here on AZ and a GREAT guy.

Mine is #2 in my sig. Click it for a much larger view.

I really like #5 and #8 in your sig line up. I'll have to check him out. I'm also wanting to look into eventually getting a stick that I can break with as well as shoot regularly. I don't really like having to swap out sticks just to break with.

Thanks for the great suggestions guys!

rrussotwo

Jedi Knight
Silver Member
If you like #8, go see cuemaster98 and he should have one or two left. They are great cheap cues.

I paid under 300 for number 5 in 2003. Standard production Joss. Made in 02 or so for crystal leisure. Hits like every other Joss, great.

rrussotwo

Jedi Knight
Silver Member
The #8 cuemaster98 blank cue hits medium soft. Like a Meucci Original with a Kamui soft tip.

The Joss hits like a Joss. Hard, close to Schon-like. If you take the shaft down and add a triangle, you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between a Joss and a Schon.

My Joss with a predator hits almost as good as the Gracio, which is perfect.

The Gracio is the perfect balance of feel and control. It feels like an extension of my arm. My perfect cue.

For the money, the JD Cue is a work of art that plays well.

Needo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really like #5 and #8 in your sig line up. I'll have to check him out. I'm also wanting to look into eventually getting a stick that I can break with as well as shoot regularly. I don't really like having to swap out sticks just to break with.

Thanks for the great suggestions guys!

You should be fine with any cue that you choose as long as you have a hard tip to start with. A hard tip won't loose its shape as quickly, and there will be less compaction in the tip relative to where you started at. I would avoid ivory ferules if used for breaking.

If you don't mind the wait, I would recomend getting a custom plain jane from one of the cue-makers on this forum. They usually have access to better wood and their plain janes won't exactly look all that plain. Let them know what you are looking for in the hit, taper, joint, and balance. If that doesn't fit in to what the cumaker makes he might point you to one who does build cues that way. I'm currently waiting on my first custom cue right now. I have never anticipated Christmas like I am anticipating the arival of my cue.

hitandapick

i like pie
Silver Member
for 800

For $800 or even less, Dickie of RHN cues (found on the cue builders forum on this site) can build you a whole lot of cue. ask anyone. there are also lots of other builders on here who can.:thumbup:

rrussotwo

Jedi Knight
Silver Member
The cuemakers on this forum are among the best in the world.

You'd be hard pressed to find another more willing to please their customers.

And for $800, you could get almost anything you want, depending on cuemaker of choice.

cyanutopia

Registered
Hi, to the original poster, if you have $800 to spend, I would highly recommend a custom cue rather than a production cue. You'll get a much better playing cue, built to your specs, that will hold its value much better than a production cue if you ever decide to trade up/sell. That being said, predator and mcdermott make great production cues (though mcdermott's quality, IMHO, has fallen off in recent years). I'd avoid ebay production cues (ie dale perry). Production cues' value will likely never exceed their original purchase price.

But as far as customs---the sky is the limit. As long as you're looking for a great playing cue (rather than amazingly ornate), you can pretty much get any custom cue maker to make you a plain jane cue for around your budget. I'd highly recommend Bryan Mordt, of BCM cues (bcmcue.com). I've played with his cues and they always play AWESOME, and he stands behind his work. He will chat with you about cues for hours to make sure you get exactly what you want, and if something goes wrong with it, he usually fixes it free of charge (at least from what I've seen on this forum). If you're lucky, you might even be able to snatch up a nicely used Tim Scruggs or Carmeli cue on this forum.

Best of luck in finding your cue!

Z3R0

Wolf in Wolf's Clothing
Silver Member
Really appreciate the suggestions guys. I think I'm going to save up about $900 and look into getting a custom from one of the cuemaker's here. Right now my Players has a fractured ferule that I need to get fixed. There's a guy locally that can do it around here, but I can't really get in contact with him anymore. Guess I'll have to stop in town and see if I can find someone to fix it for me. I need to stop breaking with it, because it's a good stick, but can't really take the abuse I put it through haha.

rrussotwo

Jedi Knight
Silver Member
There are a few beautiful Jensen cues on here too.

Mike Johnson makes the best players cues on the planet and is one HELL of a guy to deal with.

There was a 2000 Jensen hoppe in your price range in a WTB hoppe thread that had me drooling.

It's pathetic that I live 20 miles from the guy an don't own one of his cues yet.

rrussotwo

Jedi Knight
Silver Member
You'll be VERY happy with one of the guys on this forum.

My suggestions still stand. Gracio, a plain Sugartree from Eric, or someone else here will make you a great cue.

Let whoever you choose know your budget, what style you like, and roll with it. Don't try to micro-manage stuff like pin, width, etc. You won't be disappointed.

PaulieB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the opinion of a "regular guy" matters to you at all , not being a pro player, a cue maker, an instructor, a mechanic, etc ...

$800-$900 for a Viking or whatever other production cue you are thinking of just seems CRAZY to me. (And I own 3 McDermotts, a Players, and an Action.) For that much money, as has been pointed out on these forums, you can get a plain great custom cue made to your specs or buy a used fancy custom cue that will keep value for you. Even if you aren't looking to re-sell, I'd rather spend 800 on a slightly used, like new condition cue that is worth 1200+ ... instead of spending 800 on a production cue that is worth 400 after I use it for a month.

Personally, if I were you, I would buy a used custom cue for 800ish while the market is so "buyer friendly" and also grab an Orange Crusher break cue for $125 (while the sale lasts) from Gulyassy. Trying to get a cue that you can break and play with is fine, I suppose, and I know many people do exactly that. To me, personally, it's like saying I'd like to use one appliance to iron my clothes and be a can opener.... they make an iron and a can opener ... and they are two different appliances for a reason. ;) If you can't find exactly what you want in a used cue and want something sooner, ask one of the great cue makers on this forum to make one for you to your specifications. :)

Of course, this is all just my completely uneducated opinion!