Throw vs Cut

slach

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let's say you have a longish, almost straight shot, just a few degrees off, object ball about mid way between the cue ball and the pocket. Do you prefer to shoot a slight cut or aim straight-in and use a little left or right to throw the object ball?

I know there's a lot of other variables, like stopping the cue ball, but if positioning the cue ball isn't a big concern what do you commonly do?

Oikawa

If position doesn't require it, I always prefer not using side, so I'd just aim the cut normally with the most comfortable speed (not too slow, not too fast)

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let's say you have a longish, almost straight shot, just a few degrees off, object ball about mid way between the cue ball and the pocket. Do you prefer to shoot a slight cut or aim straight-in and use a little left or right to throw the object ball?

I know there's a lot of other variables, like stopping the cue ball, but if positioning the cue ball isn't a big concern what do you commonly do?
Many players by habit prefer a little outside on a shot like you describe. I prefer center ball, so you can completely eliminate squirt and swerve entirely from the aiming process.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You have to be able to do it both ways. Sometimes you need manipulate cueball lil bit and need spin it..

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the table rolls true, then it is a choice between slow roll and a bit of draw/stun.
If the table has "character" use more speed and more english.

I don’t like throwing in balls that are farther away at a light angle. I usually aim to compensate for the throw rather than playing the throw on those ones. 2 different aiming methods.

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
From distance, cut it, for the reason given by Matt Poland in Post #4.

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Agreed with just cutting it in. I love to spin my cue ball, but trying to twist balls in without a need isn't a good recipe. It's one of those things that works ok on your home table but just doesn't hold up moving between different equipment under pressure. But a lot of my students really like trying to throw balls in to hold the cue ball. It generally isn't needed. You can get lower on the cue ball if you stay on the vertical axis (the cue ball is a sphere, not a cube, so going off center means you have to come up a little vertically) and a very finesse stun is usually much better.

Not only is throwing the ball inconsistent, even just a little gearing english can even be troublesome. I was working on a drill with a lot of table length shots and all of my life I have used a 1/4 to 1/2 tip of gearing oustide. Well, I couldn't complete the drill. It was just too many full court shots and I wasn't quite getting it done. I backed off the spin and started using low center and boom, my accuracy improved. It was like the long shots became too speed sensitive, they would just twist a little on the way there or throw a little unpredictably and it wasn't quite working.

But oddly enough on shorter versions of those shots I still prefer the gearing outside. When you are closer the curve just isn't a factor because you can slide all the way to the object ball.

I asked a friend who plays very strong about this. I set up a close version of the shot and asked him if he liked gearing outside or center. He liked the gearing outside. Then I set up the long version of the shot and he immediately said "Well now it's just center". Funny. I guess many players have figured this out already.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You have to be able to do it both ways. Sometimes you need manipulate cueball lil bit and need spin it..
What i meant is that if you get very good at something it needs just a little practice to maintain it. This case spin vs no spin, strength can come weakness if you have to do it that way to be confident.
That is why I think if one like to cut they should practice more also spinning it. I think it is most common reason why players hit to plateau and not getting better anymore.
So I don´t have really preference but if shot is played with stun I think it is easier with some english. Otherwise no english is more accurate.

Reactions: bbb