Throwing Frozen Object Balls Question

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know if two object balls are frozen, you can manipulate the path of the second object ball. Typically the advice is to project the line-of-centers between both object balls. Cutting into the left side of that line on the first object ball will throw the second object ball to the right. And vice versa. I'm curious about a similar scenario.

Two object balls are frozen. Your cueball is in line with the line-of-centers. You choose to hit that first ball square for whatever reason. But you still want to manipulate the path of the second object ball. You choose to put right english on the cueball. You adjusted for deflection to hit that first object ball square.

What is the behavior of the second object ball?
  1. Throws strongly right because the spin-induced throw is highly dominant?
  2. Throws strongly left because the collision-induced throw is highly dominant?
  3. Goes dead straight forward because the spin-induced throw and cut-induced throw net each other out?
  4. Throws weakly right because both throws net out but spin-induced throw was slightly more dominant?
  5. Throws weakly left because both throws net out but collision-induced throw was slightly more dominant?
1714759761266.png

I plan on playing with it when I get home. I doubt it's anything I'll find useful for an in-game scenario.

I'm sure there's a Dr. Dave page illustrating the details of this. I just can't help finding the thought process interesting. Makes me curious what others would think the answer is from the tops of their heads based off experience or reasoning. At least before a definitive answer is easily determined.

I also wouldn't be surprised to find out shot speed and tip offset may introduce some variability.

Fore Rail

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The second object ball will go to the right.

The object ball will not throw as much as possible because of the full hit.

Speed of course is also a component of the amount of throw. Throw in how much dirt is involved as well.

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not sure how CIT plays a part if you're hitting the first ball absolutely full. I would think the scenario would be similar to hitting the first ball left of center with the cue, which means the second ball will throw to the right. I don't see how the second ball experience any force component to the left.

EDIT: Nevermind, I see how CIT can play a part in it...if the first ball can be thought of has being thrown to the left. Good question. I still feel like the net effect would be that the second ball goes right.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I know if two object balls are frozen, you can manipulate the path of the second object ball. Typically the advice is to project the line-of-centers between both object balls. Cutting into the left side of that line on the first object ball will throw the second object ball to the right. And vice versa. I'm curious about a similar scenario.

Two object balls are frozen. Your cueball is in line with the line-of-centers. You choose to hit that first ball square for whatever reason. But you still want to manipulate the path of the second object ball. You choose to put right english on the cueball. You adjusted for deflection to hit that first object ball square.

What is the behavior of the second object ball?
  1. Throws strongly right because the spin-induced throw is highly dominant?
  2. Throws strongly left because the collision-induced throw is highly dominant?
  3. Goes dead straight forward because the spin-induced throw and cut-induced throw net each other out?
  4. Throws weakly right because both throws net out but spin-induced throw was slightly more dominant?
  5. Throws weakly left because both throws net out but collision-induced throw was slightly more dominant?
View attachment 756678

I plan on playing with it when I get home. I doubt it's anything I'll find useful for an in-game scenario.

I'm sure there's a Dr. Dave page illustrating the details of this. I just can't help finding the thought process interesting. Makes me curious what others would think the answer is from the tops of their heads based off experience or reasoning. At least before a definitive answer is easily determined.

I also wouldn't be surprised to find out shot speed and tip offset may introduce some variability.
Shot speed……if hit hard, the combo will go where ever it‘s lined up.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
two frozen balls want to act as one ball.
When you suggest two frozen balls want to act as one ball, are you suggesting that they'd behave like this? The spin on the cueball throws them both to the left and as a pair they rotate clockwise together around their joint center of mass (momentarily until they separate) and as such each would have slight clockwise spin on them?

1714765379556.png

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Can you clarify your answer? Does "no throw" mean that OB2 will go completely straight?
It means throw to the left on OB2 from collision with OB1 will be minimal to none, so OB2 will go more straight or right.

pj
chgo

Reactions: jsp

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
i think because of the total friction involved the throw aspect overcomes the english to the second ball.
using pool balls in the pool room.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
i think because of the total friction involved the throw aspect overcomes the english to the second ball.
using pool balls in the pool room.
For throw to dominate, OB1 must be thrown left faster than its surface spins right against OB2. Is that what you mean?

pj
chgo

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
These measures are only useful on the initial ball to ball contact.

There is rail induced throw in carom billiards.

Softer shots are more common to carom because rail induced throw can be managed easily when using multiple rails.

Learning the optimal amounts of spin for specific type of shots is more appropriate than a general analysis.

Most shooters train for targets that occur most. Frozen balls do not happen often.

A better discussion would have focused on the cue tip and cue ball contact surface interaction and how it influences spin.

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think there will be a little throw due to spin on the middle ball. I think this is a hard effect to measure because it is small and it can be masked by errors in the alignment or hit.
I'm thinking if there's a better diagram that includes the table, the topic would be more understandable.

If the OP is looking for a lot of throw by hitting ball 2 directly in the center??? Good luck.

Haven't played these shots for a long time but my memory tells me about the most you can get is only 1/4? diamond throw using max spin and cutting ball 2 about 1/4 ball shooting full length of table.