Tightening up fit of shaft?

whiteoak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What methods do you use to "tighten up" the fit of you shafts with wood threads(3/8-10 and 3/8-11) as they slowly loosen up a bit. It seems, in my unreliable memory, that Tim Scruggs once told me to swab the wooden threads with a slightly moistened q-tip and allow to dry.That causes the wood threads to swell a bit.Any other thoughts? Thanks,Mike S

RickLafayette

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Shaft wax applied to the threads also helps with the problem and is less intrusive to the wood fibers.

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used some thin super glue with one of those tip extensions where you can just drip out a drop at a time, on the couple of McDermott shafts I have around. Only do a few drops at a time, and let it dry for a half hour or more, before you insert the shaft. I also unscrew the shaft right away incase there is some wet glue remaining. After another half hour or so, should be safe to put together. You probably will have to do this a few times to get to your desired level of tightness. Go slow at this, and would only do with the extended glue tips. Makes the joint better than new.