Time to get rid of the luck factor in Mosconi Cup.

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
Slop?

No way. Every event should be race to 5, alt break, 9 ball, slop counts. Most exciting for a fan to watch. Who gives a sh1t what the players want. Make it exciting for the fans to watch.

Thanks for your opinion, but I for one do not enjoy seeing matches won by slopping in a ball.

When I began playing, I watched the best players play call 9-ball (and 2-foul BIH).

I remember a pro match from years ago that went hill-hill at 8-8 with sixteen table runs. In the final game, the match was won on a slop shot. The crowd and BOTH players expressed their disappointment that such a great match was ruined by a slop shot.

I've always agreed with Buddy Hall...9-ball should be call pocket.

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd actually like to try race to 3, alt break, 9 ball luck, single elim events on the local level. $5 entry. Might get tons of entrants. And generate action after first round losses. I'd try it anyway if I was a room owner.

Not sure about MC, but this was basically what they did at the bar I used to play out of for years and it was very popular. $10, race to 3 winners - 2 losers, all slop, loser break. Gave everyone a chance and moved the tourney along nicely - until it got so popular we were there till 2-3 am anyway.

xXGEARXx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In all fairness, US shit some 9s today also. I think it should just move to 10ball. Call shot, slightly tougher runouts too. JMO.
+1

Totally agree. I think a race to 5, playing 10 ball makes far more sense, than Texas express 9 ball. Although, I don't know the history to the cup and I am guessing it has always been 9 ball? Regardless, I was going to bring this up (10 ball), after the Mosconi Cup concluded. I'm glad to see there is at least one person that thinks the same way.

Last edited:

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
Yeap thats why 9b sucks as a measure of "skill". Make it where you can't win on the break (like 10b)especially on short races and you'd get a more fair representation of a 'sporting game'... otherwise just flip a coin on a hill hill match.

Pretty stupid to get credit on a 'flucked in' shot (at any point in a game 9B) with the best players representing their country. Get this game back in the Bar's where it belongs....and its even worst on a bar box... represents NOTHING good about our sport.

R
I would agree for races to 5. Longer races, like 9 or higher, it can be used to measure skill.