Tip contact time in layman's terms

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The time that the tip of a pool cue stays in contact with the cue ball is approximately equal to
  • The length of time a .22 caliber bullet travels 1 diamond
  • Simlarly, the length of time sound travels 1 diamond
  • Twice the length of time that a hammer is in contact with a nail in a piece of wood
  • A half-rotation of a 4000 rpm table-saw blade
  • About 40 times faster than you can clap your hands (fast as you can)
  • Three times the speed of a house fly's wing flap
  • 20 times the time it takes to blink your eye
You still think that anything you do with your stroke or hand can make a difference during this short time?

The only thing "different" strokes do are to cause the tip to land in a different spot on the cue ball, regardless of what is written in any text book or what has been said by professionals.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Another interesting way to look at the contact is the distance the cue ball travels before it leaves the tip. That is roughly from 1/32 to 1/4 inch from soft to hard shots without spin. The distance is a little longer for spin shots.

Some people think the tip/ball stay in contact for inches. They're very, very wrong.

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You still think that anything you do with your stroke or hand can make a difference during this short time?
Yeah, what could possibly happen in that short of a time frame. Bang! Reportedly, it was Big.

Last edited:

23DenaliBDE

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I argue some people are pivoting during contact time.

So it may seem like a straight in shot, but everyone knows what it is like to follow through badly.

I call that an error during stroking.

Its not the duration of time its the vector field that hits the CB. That dispersion is not uniform throughout the stroke all the time.

Imagine trying to get a perfect particle collision, it can happen. How often though?

If you want I can show up in person, draw a diagram on a napkin and wave my hands. Then take selfies.

If you want to see math functions that costs extra.
I’ve also thought lots of things that were stupid in my lifetime. Fortunately I didn’t post at least a dozen of them on here every day. I guess I’m just lucky.