Tip popping off

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well I used a different bottle of glue, did everything else as I normally would and so far it's held for 5 racks. No-matter that'll be the last plastic pad I use

I'm a newbie at tips and have done somewhere around 100 in my lifetime, the only time a tip has fallen off is when I used old glue, the plastic pad should not be an issue. Thousands (10's, 100's of thousands?) of cues are floating around with plastic pads without issue. Seems like you learned a lesson about glue, much like most of us :)

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
I've not used the plastic type but the kamui clear do have a plastic pad. I faced it smooth with something like 600 grit emery cloth. I didn't go wild on it, but lapped it until it had a uniform dull finish.
NEVER use emery cloth on anything relating to being glued...As far as I am aware, every type of emery cloth has a cutting oil embedded it it.....which will impede glues and finishes from adhering.

DeeDeeCues

NEVER use emery cloth on anything relating to being glued...As far as I am aware, every type of emery cloth has a cutting oil embedded it it.....which will impede glues and finishes from adhering.

I would love for you to back up this claim as I'm nearly positive that is absolutely false.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
1634994092777.png

pdf file, fyi.

Jeff Livingston

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Something to think about with super glue and oil. When making pens with a super glue finish, at times I put a couple drops of boiled linseed oil on the cloth with about 3 or 4 drops of super glue for my first coat on a wood pen. Dries in seconds soon as you turn the speed up and burnish it in. I will follow it up with a dozen or more coats of just super glue. The coat with the oil added actually seems to cure faster. Hard to understand, but for that use, the oil actually seems to help. Have to be honest though, not sure I'm ready to chance something similar on a tip, as I think the oils function on pen finishing is that it helps build the heat to cure when burnishing.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
It is a plastic type.

I faced it prior to first tip and then another time after second tip.

Is it best to rough the pad surface with blade cuts, sandpaper or leave smooth
I would switch to fiber pads, they are easier to glue to both ferrules and tips than plastic pads. I would also switch to single use gel super glue packs, as they go weak pretty quickly in the large size. Scotch is a good brand.

All the best,
WW

PracticeChampion

I would switch to fiber pads, they are easier to glue to both ferrules and tips than plastic pads. I would also switch to single use gel super glue packs, as they go weak pretty quickly in the large size. Scotch is a good brand.

All the best,
WW
Probably a good ideal. I had no ideal it went bad so quickly.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Probably a good ideal. I had no ideal it went bad so quickly.

I put a tip on yesterday with year old glue. It was gel glue but was a bit runny. Loctite mini that I had already opened a couple of weeks ago.

I loaded up the tip, dabbed it on a napkin, then re-layered the glue on the tip, dabbed it again, then put 'er on. It took a few minutes, not seconds, to cure tight, but it did sit tight.

After an hour, I played with it, doing hard draws and hard follows, angled down shots into the cloth, etc. and it's still right on.

I'll let you know after 3 nights of league play this week.

Jeff Livingston