Tip Pulverized

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
How could a LD shaft be harder on a tip than a maple shaft?? Makes no sense at all.
I too am trying to understand why these two tips within 3 mths have broken down faster than my prior decades of play.

For over 40 yrs I've hand picked the best 10-12 tips from boxes of Le Pros 25 count.

To determine my pics, I've learned too, only use the ones that have the bottoms flat/shiny like chocolate, with no grain, then I tap each one, on the counter for the proper sound.

What I cannot understand logically, but I do by feel.

Is why can you hit a horizontal cue ball, one tip off center with an LD and get no cue ball squirt?

If you hit the same shot with pure maple, you will get a slight squirt, that will gradually increase with swing speed.

The LD shaft that I own...................has no squirt till you get past a certain swing speed.....the ld squirt increase is not gradual like maple.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The squirt is Dramatically different to me.
LD shafts do have varying degrees of squirt reduction but there is still squirt. The lowest defl. wood shaft i've hit was the Jacoby. I sold it because the hit was way too soft for me. My Mezz is somewhat lower in defl. than maple but it hits/feels like a solid shaft. If i was to go for lower defl. i'd probably get a carbon shaft.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is kinda left field but you think maybe the color contrast of a CF shaft against a white ball creates a different image than a white maple one? What I mean is the alignment proportions might be exaggerated one way or the other between shaft materials and not so much the real deflection properties.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is kinda left field but you think maybe the color contrast of a CF shaft against a white ball creates a different image than a white maple one? What I mean is the alignment proportions might be exaggerated one way or the other between shaft materials and not so much the real deflection properties.
Uh,no. You're right about coming out of left field tho. I've tried quite a few cf shafts and all were lower in defl. than a solid maple. Some were a LOT less.

Island Drive

Silver Member
Fach Garcia cut me my first and only LD shaft.

I have no prior knowledge, feel or imput on any ld's other than this one.

I ''wore out'' my Kikel maples from skin only, then quit pretty much for the kids till now.

Massey just stopped by & sold me a Bouska 21 jumper. Thumbs UP!

Mike now jumps one handed.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Uh,no. You're right about coming out of left field tho. I've tried quite a few cf shafts and all were lower in defl. than a solid maple. Some were a LOT less.

Before I dismiss this entirely, it's possible optical illusion figures into the equation. IOW when the cue ball is the focus, a given player may stroke a black shaft at a slightly different angle than a white one, especially a player who doesn't get way down on the stick.

Island Drive

Silver Member
Wood is all I Ever used, my ld shaft is wood.
Since pool is develop a ''feel'' game.........Having this less deflection ''feeeeeeeeeeeeeeling'' with outside cueing.... totally reboots my thinking and walk up to the shot.
Play conditions, cloth type, dirt, room air, & wear and tear are in play during match play.

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
Never heard of them
Both are imports from china and very similar tips. Both are chinese pig based ona appearance as they lack the characteristics of the premium Japanese pig leather seen with Kamui and the old pre taiwan moori.. The shore rating on the cards were not accurate for the thoroughbreds when checked on arrival and they are getting soft medium and hards from a single run which is chinas QC standard... Still hard to beat for 10 bucks but you need your own shore D to get what you want on the end of your cue....

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
I too am trying to understand why these two tips within 3 mths have broken down faster than my prior decades of play.

For over 40 yrs I've hand picked the best 10-12 tips from boxes of Le Pros 25 count.

To determine my pics, I've learned too, only use the ones that have the bottoms flat/shiny like chocolate, with no grain, then I tap each one, on the counter for the proper sound.

What I cannot understand logically, but I do by feel.

Is why can you hit a horizontal cue ball, one tip off center with an LD and get no cue ball squirt?

If you hit the same shot with pure maple, you will get a slight squirt, that will gradually increase with swing speed.

The LD shaft that I own...................has no squirt till you get past a certain swing speed.....the ld squirt increase is not gradual like maple.
Per Skip at Tweeten getting the leather for le pros is their hardest nut to crack right now.. They were once the most consistent of the 3 major tips they make... The Triangle is now the most consistent followed by the elk with Le pro now in 3rd......