Tip Taper by Joe Porper/Help

cuetips1000

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi folks.

I am looking for a tip taper for doming hard synthetic cue tips.

This tool is a lathe accessory, it looks like a drill bit and is fixed in the chuck. I think Joe Porper has created this special tool. But i can't find it in the web. The only results google spits out are the adjustable tip shaping tool, the little shaver, the cue rite cue tip shaper and some other but not that what i am looking for.

Maybe someone can tell me where i can get such a tool.

Regards

Charlie D

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Might have better luck in the cue machinery and supplies section. Charlie
Hi folks.

This tool is a lathe accessory, it looks like a drill bit and is fixed in the chuck. I think Joe Porper has created this special tool. But i can't find it in the web. The only results google spits out are the adjustable tip shaping tool, the little shaver, the cue rite cue tip shaper and some other but not that what i am looking for.

Regards

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Hey Bud,
Are you by chance referring to the shaper that Joe Barringer uses in one of his videos?

I spoke with Joe and he said it was made specially for him (by Joe P) and to contact Porper. I did and they all thought I was nuts and had no idea what I was talking about.

If you look closely, I think what you will see is in the video, Joe B is using the replacement blade for the Cut Rite in his chuck on the tail stock.

Its about the only thing I could think of. I haven't tried it yet as I don't do many phenolic tips and at $27, I probably won't either.

Here it is:
http://www.porper.com/index.cfm/fus...ebbd0cc43-D76F63F2-20ED-7D0A-C0E17D4031AD7AAC

Good luck, it will probably work just fine. And if you are going to try this out, please use eye protection, if you don't already.
A chunk of phenolic might fly off. If you are using a tool that isn't specifically made for that job. Just be careful is all.

PS - Just about everyone thinks I'm nuts anyway so I just had to chalk up another one to the list. I wish I would have kept the return email from Porper. After about the third email from me trying to expalin to them what I was after, I am sure they put me on the nutty
cue repairman list.

Last edited:

cuetips1000

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Hog,

yes, i mean the tip taper shown in the video by J.B.

And believe me, this tool is not the replacement blade for the cue rite cue tip shaper.
The replacement blade is very small (height: 27 mm and shaft dia only a few mm).
The tip taper in the video is a big one and it is coated with titanium nitride.

By the way: The Porper replacement blade works great on leather tips.
regards

Last edited:

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
I see, pics can be deceiving as it looks a tad bigger in the pic.

And I did email Porper 3 times and gave up after they assured me that they had no idea what I was referring to.

Good luck anyway and if you should have better luck than I, let me know.
Thanks.

OneIron

On the snap, Vinny!
Silver Member
Hi folks.

Regards

I found this tool on the web a while back but it was crazy expensive (like $200). Seems like it was on the Porper site under commercial tools or something. I'd love to have one but it just seems a little pricey to me. If I find it, I'll repost.

cuetips1000

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi OneIron,

that is not the tool i mean. I will try to get a pic of the tool.
How can i convert VLC media player to wmv?

Regards

OneIron

On the snap, Vinny!
Silver Member
Hi OneIron,

that is not the tool i mean. I will try to get a pic of the tool.
How can i convert VLC media player to wmv?

Regards

It occurred to me after I posted that I had seen that shaper on the Barringer video. Like you, I couldn't find it on the Porper website but that's when I found the one I linked to. If you locate it, please post back. I would love to have a tool to give a consistent shape to leather and phenolic. I currently use a razor knife blade but it's time consuming and probably a little risky. The Porper tool looks like it might work but it would cost a fortune replacing the cutter, especially after shaping White Diamond or phenolics.

cuetips1000

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi again.

I have contacted porper.com and asked for the mysterious "tip taper".

Here is the answer i got:

"That tool was designed by Joe and made for us.
It can still be made.
The price is $200.00usd + shipping and wire fees.

Let me know.

Thanks,

Don Rice"

According to that, it is a tool which is not produced in series.

regards