Tip when you’re just a little off …

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Regardless of how you get your ass in gear, the best policy is don't jump in cold. Players who can waltz in and start tearing it up are probably immersed in pool/pool competition/pool betting etc... and probably come up shortstop in heavy action anyway. Mortal guy sense is to develop a routine that gets you up and running whether that be nightly or just Saturday. 4 or 5 hours is plenty time to coax your game to life if you don't rush the process.

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's an interesting mental trick to find your game again. I feel like my game is constantly going up and down like pendulum. Here's how it happens for me:

1. I realize that I'm playing really bad
2. I try extra hard to focus and get back in gear
3. I start playing really well without realizing it
4. I become aware that I'm playing really well
5. I get overly confident, loose focus, and go on cruise control
6. I start playing really bad again and the cycle repeats

I assume everyone goes through a similar cycle. However, as time goes on, my overall skill level eventually goes up. So my weak game is no longer quite as weak and my strong game gets a little stronger.

But the cycle never stops. When I'm playing well I try to make it last as long as possible and when I'm playing bad I'm hopeful that I'll be back on top soon.

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Also, if I'm playing really bad at home by myself, I'll just stop playing. I would rather quit and pick it up another time than to lower my confidence or develop poor habits. Sometimes, there might just be a small chemical imbalance that's going on that you don't fully realize is there (lack of sleep, too much caffeine, too much spicy food, over stressed, etc.)

And when I'm playing good, I try to play as much as possible in hopes that the good habits will stick with me. Plus it's way more fun when you're playing well.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Maryjane and jaegermeister.
BB you’re a maniac! I have tasted the jaeger only two times. And that’s 9x too many.

I had a jaeger bomb in the army in like 08, I still can’t even smell a red bull without wanting to yak 😂

As for Ms. Jane, of course she’s my main thang.

One trick that has worked for me is shooting a rack or three left handed. It really warms up the brain and gets synapses firing and going back to normal is like a breeze.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BB you’re a maniac! I have tasted the jaeger only two times. And that’s 9x too many.

I had a jaeger bomb in the army in like 08, I still can’t even smell a red bull without wanting to yak 😂

As for Ms. Jane, of course she’s my main thang.

One trick that has worked for me is shooting a rack or three left handed. It really warms up the brain and gets synapses firing and going back to normal is like a breeze.
Lol. I am reticent to admit 1x with the Jaeger was enough for me. One shot and I swear I felt wrong for 2d.

Chili Palmer

Give or take an 1"
Silver Member
I guess sometimes nothing feels right and if you’re forced to feel uncomfortable and awkward for awhile when you return then everything feels right

LOL, that reminded of a story from CJ Wiley about what (or someone he knew) would do, if they weren't feeling it and needed to get focused they would go in the bathroom and stick their finger down their throat :)

fjk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
An old guy used to give me lessons when I was younger and one tip I still use today. Some days I would be just a little off, didn’t know why, everything looked the same .. stance, stroke, etc. I just wasn’t feeling it!

He wouldn’t change anything major, just changed my grip from middle/ring fingers to index/middle fingers .. just enough to make me feel uncomfortable and make me play the next couple of racks that way.

He would then tell me to change back to my normal grip .. DANG! It was like returning to an old friend, back in my comfort zone, I was home and the balls were dropping and the CB was on a string.

Weird how that works!
Psychology calls that the contrast effect.

I use a similar trick in racquetball for when my forehand isn't working. I throw the ball sidearm against the front wall for quite a while (a sidearm throw is very similar to a forehand racquetball swing). Then after you get use to that, you switch back to using your racquet. In comparison to throwing the ball, the ball now seems like it was shot out of a bazooka. Mentally, that boosts my confidence (I feel like my forehand is better, which boosts my confidence and then my forehand actually becomes better).