tips sometime fall off

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The tip-installing tool manufacturer recommended Loctite 411, and I‘ve kept the same batch in the fridge for many years. I score the ferrel & tip with a box knife, and none of the dozens I’ve done have ever popped off.

Willowbrook Wolfy

Your wushu is weak!
Quick thread jack from Maryland. Anyone in the southern MD or Annapolis area? Who does your tips? Why is it so hard for me to get my damn tip changed lol

I’ve never had a tip fly off but I’ve scratched up my ferrule and messed up a few tips trying it myself without a lathe.
I just changed mine yesterday. The way I sand the tip sides is put 150 grit sand paper flat on table about an inch from edge. If you are worried about ferrule put one layer of masking tape around ferrule. Kind of roll/rub it on sandpaper. Takes maybe 5-10 min. The ferrule with a layer of masking tape puts the top of grit about the same height as the ferrule. And that inch space for the ferrule to sit on allows the tip to be as perpendicular to the sand paper as you’ll get it. Once the ferrule slides without friction you are done. Then spend the extra few mins and touch up any non flush spots by hand. Once you get it down you can skip the masking tape and less touch up!👍

It took a bit of trial and error but this method works fantastic doing it yourself. I’d still much rather pay the $20 to get one installed for me though. They just don’t do tips where I go.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
It’s the trimming of the tip once it’s installed that gives me fits. I’ve tried some pencil sharpener looking deal, and I’ve tried to cut it down by hand, sand it down with a dremel. There’s probably some simpler things I’m just not getting. I need to see someone do it by hand

Kamikazecuetips

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Loctite Professional has been good for our tips lately.

Attachments

• B48D9678-F82C-410E-B840-0A6C32F257D6.jpeg
    B48D9678-F82C-410E-B840-0A6C32F257D6.jpeg
    78.6 KB · Views: 52

Willowbrook Wolfy

Your wushu is weak!
It’s the trimming of the tip once it’s installed that gives me fits. I’ve tried some pencil sharpener looking deal, and I’ve tried to cut it down by hand, sand it down with a dremel. There’s probably some simpler things I’m just not getting. I need to see someone do it by hand
Easiest way is to get the same size tip as your ferrule….a lot of people think that it’s a sin not shaving it down though. Good luck finding someone. If you had a Viking, you could just send it to Viking for reasonably priced tip change and get a nice cleaning foc. Maybe the other companies do the same.

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have had a couple of instances when I start to hear a tip develop that little tap sound that says, "I'm about to pop off."

Then I use Starbond Super Fast Thin super glue. This stuff is the consistency of water and will seep into any tiny separation between tip and ferrule. Then just a few moments of finger tip pressure and viola! No tap, no popping off.

Lou Figueroa

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Easiest way is to get the same size tip as your ferrule….a lot of people think that it’s a sin not shaving it down though. Good luck finding someone. If you had a Viking, you could just send it to Viking for reasonably priced tip change and get a nice cleaning foc. Maybe the other companies do the same.
My shaft is 12.75 so there’s always a bit hanging off with the 13mm. And sometimes the tip I want I can only get it in 14.

I guess I really should make a point to get good at doing tips myself so’s I can just try new stuff out and not have to worry about paying someone or keeping a tip on for weeks until I next see whomever again.

It’s really nice though to just slip someone a 20, bust out your backup shaft and play pool for a rack or eight, then grasp your freshly tipped cue and keep the game going.

RRfireblade

Grammer Are For Stupids
Silver Member

Never done it by hand but I wonder if you can size it down close enough before you put it on.

Rodney

hot7339
Silver Member
I used to hold the shaft tip side down against scrap wood and trim pushing downward with a razor knife. Once I had it close I’d mask the ferrule put it on my drill with an arbor and sand it as close as I could . I had very good results but it took some work.