To glove or not to glove

Armour

Registered
I ordered a carbon fiber shaft which is on its way and some have told me I should get or at least try a glove. I have shot with a friends carbon fiber with and without a glove. It was slick either way but I will say with the glove it was a little more slick. What are your opinions on this? I have never worn a glove in the past so not sure why I should start with a carbon fiber shaft.

Thanks

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
New shot with Carbon but a couple of shot, did not wear glove. Friend uses Carbon frequently with no glove.

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the glove but know plenty of people that use CF and don’t wear one. They can still get sticky and gritty depending on where you shoot and how clean the cloth is kept. I buy some cheap ones off amazon, like 15$ for 6 and have no problems.

Reactions: kid

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've tried a glove.
Not for me.
I lose feel with a glove, carbon fiber or not.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I am using a CF shaft, showing some wear. Not having any issues so I play naked.

Those that used gloves with wood use them with CF. I never used them with wood I don't use them with CF. I find that the CF cleans quicker and better than wood anyway.

Hu

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With wood, a glove is usually a must for me. With CF, the default is no glove. However there are environments that are humid enough to make my hands feel sticky enough that I need the glove even with CF.

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
I've never used or tried a glove even when I used to use wood shafts. And I'm a big guy and sweat a lot. Unless the cf you have is the defy I wouldn't wear a glove.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe that the use of a glove has more to do with one's tolerance for any sort of resistance during their pool stroke. Some have either less sensitivity or more tolerance and opt out of using a glove - and, perhaps require the feeling of any shaft against their naked hand to feel the movement of the shaft properly.

Some find that they have no tolerance for any sort of shaft resistance during the stoke and opt for the glove and they adapt to feeling that shaft through the glove material. Only via experimentation both ways will you come to your own personal choice. I would recommend a small investment in one glove and try both ways for at least a few sessions each to come to your own conclusion.

No one's opinion here on how a glove works or does not work for them can possibly affect how your hands will react to either situation. The fact that you never wore a glove in the past means nothing because many folks who experiment with a glove for the first time realize that they prefer that method much more than without a glove - you can only come to a definitive conclusion by at least trying both ways.

jaime_lion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Back in April of 2020 before we knew as much as we know now about covid I was wearing gloves when out and about. Like plastic gloves. So I got a pool glove and wore that over the plastic glove. I instantly fell in love with gloves in pool. So I am on team glove all the way. Even If I was playing with a bar cue I would wear a glove.

Cuedup

There was a guy on my team that swore he would never wear a glove and made some derisive comments about them for years. He cut his bridge hand at work and it was giving him issues when shooting on league night. I suggested he cover it with a glove and loaned him one.

He's now on team glove.

Try it. Make sure its a quality, comfortable glove and not some cheap, baggy, ill fitting glove.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
glove helped me quit my powder abuse

must hade finger tips free though, full glove doesn't work for me.

Greg M

I've never used a glove. Never will. I just don't feel the need to - my hands don't get clammy or sweaty to the point where a glove is needed.

That being said, I do carry a microfibre cue towel and some sheets of A4 paper (IMO, the best shaft cleaner you can use) to get the occasional layer of grime or sweat off the cue. I also wash my hands occasionally if I'm playing for a long time.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Try it, see how you like it. No one else can decide for you in any case of personal preference. Only time I use a glove is when the place is humid and sticky where a clean shaft or not things stick. But many others use one all the time, my son hates playing without a glove.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Clean hands and a clean shaft. I’ve never found a need for a glove or powder.
I do use a glove- but I also make sure that my shaft is cleaned thoroughly after EVERY pool session- so that I start each pool session with clean hands and a clean shaft- it keeps your glove from getting full of chalk etc., which is why you went to a glove in the first place- make sense?

I WISH I could play without a glove- but , for me, no matter how clean everything is at the beginning of a pool session- hands, shaft, table - after about 30 minutes of play I will start to feel some resistance to my stroke and need to fall back to a glove- so to make things simple And consistent- I just go to the glove from the beginning.