TOI CJ Wiley

Gman***

I watched CJ’s videos and practiced his system of touch of inside and it took me awhile to totally understand what I was exactly doing . And then I dropped off of it going back into my old little ways ! and after sometime doing without it , I jumped back on and Man I have to say Its come full circle and for my level it shows ! I don’t use it on every shot , I mix it in . I believe in it ! It gives me feedback and makes the pocket larger , almost like magic , I aim a little to the longest rail of the pocket I’m shooting with a touch of inside with the right amount of pace , success !

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I watched CJ’s videos and practiced his system of touch of inside and it took me awhile to totally understand what I was exactly doing . And then I dropped off of it going back into my old little ways ! and after sometime doing without it , I jumped back on and Man I have to say Its come full circle and for my level it shows ! I don’t use it on every shot , I mix it in . I believe in it ! It gives me feedback and makes the pocket larger , almost like magic , I aim a little to the longest rail of the pocket I’m shooting with a touch of inside with the right amount of pace , success !
You have only gotten past the first or maybe second layer of this onion. When you really understand it, you will know why there is no magic and exactly why it works even though on the basis of physics and geometry, it makes no sense.

Good luck with your game.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Aiming cuts with inside english pretty much allows stroking at the contact point on the object ball. Of course there is a speed and pivot zone involved; shot speed call it. If I understand TOI correctly, even a touch would zone your stick and stroke to a concise target.

Gman***

Aiming cuts with inside english pretty much allows stroking at the contact point on the object ball. Of course there is a speed and pivot zone involved; shot speed call it. If I understand TOI correctly, even a touch would zone your stick and stroke to a concise target.
Your a higher level player than me , or more educated. But I know about cheating pockets and that I’ve acquired and use to get on the right side of object ball to get position on my next ball . But touch of inside your potting the ball with the aid of the whole pocket zone and getting good feedback from your pool stroke . That’s a good place for me to start and improve my game . It’s like a gearing it ?

Gman***

You have only gotten past the first or maybe second layer of this onion. When you really understand it, you will know why there is no magic and exactly why it works even though on the basis of physics and geometry, it makes no sense.

Good luck with your game.
Thanks Bob for replying to my comment ! I made a few of IMO comments above , that’s my take on it , good bad ? I don’t know ! Physics and geometry yes I totally agree with you there , not totally grasping , but kinda understand your position on it ! Thanks for that Bob !

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your a higher level player than me , or more educated. But I know about cheating pockets and that I’ve acquired and use to get on the right side of object ball to get position on my next ball . But touch of inside your potting the ball with the aid of the whole pocket zone and getting good feedback from your pool stroke . That’s a good place for me to start and improve my game . It’s like a gearing it ?
I don't consider myself a player. Pool is a life long pursuit and thought experiment. I centralize my technique to center ball. So, playing TOI would be a modification to certain shots and/or a situational concession.
I was just saying that using inside english on cut shots allows you to aim the stick directly at the contact point; give or take.
TOI as is being discussed is a magnitude more than just that.

Gman***

Is it better for some kinds of shots?

pj
chgo
Yes , most effective that I have found are shots off of the rail , try favoring the rail closest the pocket and gauge your inside English and once you are dialed in you will see it makes the pocket much larger .

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Yes , most effective that I have found are shots off of the rail , try favoring the rail closest the pocket and gauge your inside English and once you are dialed in you will see it makes the pocket much larger .
Yes, but the rail's "mirroring" effect works with any kind of hit on the CB - inside english isn't necessary. Also, the "mirroring" effect only works when the OB is pretty close to the rail.

pj
chgo

Gman***

Yes, but the rail's "mirroring" effect works with any kind of hit on the CB - inside english isn't necessary. Also, the "mirroring" effect only works when the OB is pretty close to the rail.

pj
chgo
I see what your saying , and will try it out . For instance if the cb were on the head string spot and I was shooting the ob
that was 2 diamonds off of the foot spot , I just use a touch of inside and favor the long rail of the corner pocket . That’s about it , it seems to make the pocket larger IMO . Thanks ! Anything else from here ,will have to be directed to the man himself ! Ha

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I see what your saying , and will try it out . For instance if the cb were on the head string spot and I was shooting the ob
that was 2 diamonds off of the foot spot , I just use a touch of inside and favor the long rail of the corner pocket . That’s about it , it seems to make the pocket larger IMO . Thanks ! Anything else from here ,will have to be directed to the man himself ! Ha
I might have misunderstood your first post quoted above.

What I meant by "mirroring" only applies to an OB that's near the long rail being shot into a corner pocket. It can brush the long rail on its way to the pocket and still go in - as if the pocket is "mirrored" by the rail, making it effectively a little bigger.

That happens with any kind of spin (or none) on the CB.

pj
chgo

wagdad

Yup, I'm that Guy.
Silver Member
I tried the TOI system on 2/15/21. I threw some balls on the table and started with TOI and short shots were just as easy to make as using Center to center aim. But long shots were very inaccurate for me. Also straight in shots were more difficult for me using TOI. And when I tried moving around the table with top TOI I didnt go anywhere near where I intended! I'm not knocking this system, but for my first try, it was a bit disheartening. Especially when I started visualizing the OB into 4 sections on each side of center to aim at. That's when I went back to center to Center aim! I'm not sure if I was doing something wrong or it's going to take a long time to get down packed. If it's going to take forever to get the hang of, I'll probably stop trying. I have enough issues with my pool learning without adding another equation!

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I always found the religious like following of TOI interesting, but the sales pitch turned me off. Instead I opted for TOW. It's completely universal and no psychedelic enlightenment required to understand the principle.