toolpost hardware?

sileighty_guru

5A Grade Wood Pecker
Silver Member
Can someone help???

Looking for a place to get the square "nuts" that are used to hold a toolpost to the crossslide on smaller lathes! I hate to admit but I can't find themanywhere??
Is there a name they go by that I can search?

Any help would be great!

Thanks

Dgib69

Registered
Can someone help???

Looking for a place to get the square "nuts" that are used to hold a toolpost to the crossslide on smaller lathes! I hate to admit but I can't find themanywhere??
Is there a name they go by that I can search?

Any help would be great!

Thanks

Found at local hardware store or try Fastenal that's where I picked up 100 of the cap bolt that runs through for post..

DanO

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ace Hardware stocks the square nuts individually for pennies. 10-24 or 10-32 thread. Whichever you prefer. The mating socket head cap screws are also stocked in 1/8 and 1/4 inch length increments.

chuckpilegis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought a shitload that I will never use when I made the toolpost handles
how many you need I can mail some to you

Last edited:

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just got some steel sheet, and made the nut from long piece. I did this as there becomes more area for the nut to be spread onto the alloy. I have most of my stuff at 1 inche centres and made the nut strips 1.5 inches long. Some are longer like for my radius thingy.I find the nut strip quicker and easier when changing tool posts or other attachments. Mine are threaded M5 mm, so it uses the 4mm allen key. #10-32 is also a good choice. You can make the strips as long or short as you require. They can be made easily with just hand tools like a file drill tap and a hacksaw.

sileighty_guru

5A Grade Wood Pecker
Silver Member
WOW thanks for all the help everyone!! I have checked most hardware stores in my area with no luck...The closest ACE hardware is 123 miles away ;) I will have to check the other smaller stores as they usually have a better variety of hardware. If I have no luck I will put out a wanted add :)

Thanks again everyone your the best!

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
UN real

WOW thanks for all the help everyone!! I have checked most hardware stores in my area with no luck...The closest ACE hardware is 123 miles away ;) I will have to check the other smaller stores as they usually have a better variety of hardware. If I have no luck I will put out a wanted add :)

Thanks again everyone your the best!

PM me your address I will send you a dozen.