Tools for Learning Pool

Banks

Banned
Do not watch bangers. Pick a favorite pro player and emulate him. Do not look at emulation as a negative, it is not. It will eventually wear off leaving you as yourself but with increased understanding and ability. Try stroking and approaching the table like him. Go to school as to what shots and strategies he is using (Also that is why you do not want to watch a lesser shooter. They pick out the wrong things to do, often.).

Disagree. Watch bangers.. just because they don't know what they're doing doesn't mean that they aren't doing something useful.

People are always trying to copy/emulate somebody else. Instead, they should just play the way they play and let it evolve naturally. Just because you're taking the shot you saw Schmidt take doesn't mean you're going to know when/where and why to apply it.

You can learn just as much(or more) doing the wrong thing as you can doing the right thing. All it takes is paying attention.

Just be honest with your self.
Notice something right.

Yep, people need to stop making excuses. They should accept that they missed, figure out why and move forward.

I've heard more league players tell me something along the line of, "Oh, I can't set up for that draw shot...I don't shoot draw shots." So, I say, "You can learn to shoot draw shots, ya know." "No, I don't shoot draw shots."

Ten years later, I see them shooting at the same level as before.

I don't spend much time dealing with that. As soon as I see them crashing into the same wall, expecting different results, they go into the 'unable to help' file. Partially with the above quote.. they're so full of pride and such that they refuse to acknowledge they're wrong or that they have short-comings.

Win-no matter the outcome. You can take many things from each match that will serve you well if you pay attention. Pat your self on the back only during the other persons turn. What do you like and dislike about what your opponent is doing. Notice everything and find new ways to win.

I've never written anything down for pool, I don't think, so I cut out that part. If people want to improve, they should pay attention. That about sums it up!

And I imagine somebody will say it if they haven't already, but I'll go ahead and disagree..

You do not have to play better players all the time to improve.

It could be helpful here and there, but it is definitely not a requirement.

EagleMan

Banned
I am going to start posting helpful info for Bangers through Pros. Just a paragraph or two. But always solution-orientated

As time allows, work on your weakest asset. Maybe you do not break well, cannot jump or masse well, draw shot weak, position just so-so? Go to work on it. There are many how-to books on pool for technical assistance. Get more than one opinion from a variety of resources. Be better prepared than your opponent. Sometimes when you play, your weak shots do not come up, other times it seems like every time you get up you are staring at something you are not really ready for. Work on these things more than your opponent does. Jim S.

This is not a flame...at least it's not intended to be. CERTAINLY you can and should post whatever you want to post here.

But a wise old saying is to "Consider the source."

One of your tips is to "get various opinions" but unless those giving the opinions have REAL CREDIBILITY I think your tip is marginal at best since a likely result is BAD advice or at least conflicting advice...which you can get even from those WITH credibility. Often, the result is total confusion and a waste of time.

Your comments are intended for players from "bangers to pros." But the problem is that bangers will have no clue how sound or unsound your advice might be. So MY advice for bangers would be to totally disregard advice from sources who are not specifically credible....local A player....house pro...instructor with excellent reputation etc.

On another front...having read your tips so far, it is clear that they are targeted almost exclusively to bangers. Things such as...

Practice what you miss most.

Use Video

Be better prepared than your opponent (how is one supposed to know how prepared the opponents might be????)

Shoot shorter and then longer versions of practice shots.

Have a plan.

Study pro matches

Use visual imagery.

Practice anger management.

ALL the above would be found somehwere in the first couple of chapters of any rudimentary How to Play Pool book.

Again...post anything and everything you want to post. I for one am TOTALLY cool with that.

But you labeled your own intentions and so far, there is nothing that any pro wouldn't sort of laugh in his or her sleeve to be told.

You might consider labeling each post re: the experience level you are addressing. And you might consider providing some background on your experience level and accomplishments in pool....NOT because doing so is or should be required by ANY stretch of the imagination.

But rather because...as I've stated above, MY opinion is that it is a perfectly awful idea for the lower skilled players to take advice from ANYONE who they don't know...either personally or by reputation...to be a highly knowledgable player/teacher. And that is because the lower skilled players simply does not have the foundation upon which to judge whether any particular piece of advice is good, bad or ugly.

Respectfully,

EagleMan

(FORMER BCA Instructor...who has not given lessons in years and does not intend to).

scratchs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't growd the the table,its easier to work from the outside in..

Address each shot with respect..an don't mess with rattles in the
corner..let slip stroke go, as to grip an wrip it...

augh..what do I know,I'm not in the head lines..and I swim in
the shallow end of the pool..to many sharks at the other end..
doesn't mean they can bit..

bottom of the nineth..you'd best steal home..I'm pitch a
no hitter..

happy holidays

Roger Illinois

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is great stuff; and thank you a lot. This is the meat and potatoes of what a forum should be. Forget those that *****. They just like to hear themselves talk, and every forum has 'em.

You are right there is some good and some bad, and every forum has'em. Just practice-practice-practice. Start with the basics. Every player evolves...some quicker than others, just like anything else..golf, BB, tennis, etc.
PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE

jims111343

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tools for Learning Pool
Never worry about the score, it is distracting and a waste of energy. Your opponent just won 6 in a row on you. Get off your chair and win 7 or 8 on him. Only the final score is truly meaningful. You will hear commentators during pool matches say, “Well folks, Joe is down 6 games and its alternate breaks. I give him no chance!” Thinking like that is okay for a commentator, I guess, but it is totally wrong for a winning player. Do not give up on your self--ever. Things happen. Tides shift. Luck changes. Stay in there. Your opponent may never win another game. Jim S.

jims111343

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Knowing all about pool is not enough
Properly assess the table to see the possibilities. Walk.
Make the best decision, for the circumstances and your ability. Study and learn.
Be able to execute the shot, turn, run;
during practice.
for the cash.
in front of a crowd, camera.
Knowing things is only a part of the package, which is pool. On every shot you have to execute. You must make the ball or safety. Still, everyone misses.

jims111343

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tools for Learning Pool
Bad Rolls!? Forget about it. If you do not believe they come out even-- see a shrink.
Play the table for what is available on it. Not the personality of your opponent.
You can get caught up in a lot of ‘other stuff’. Don`t do that. Keep focused on figuring the best way to win and executing your turn at the table.

EagleMan

Banned
Tools for Learning Pool
Bad Rolls!? Forget about it. If you do not believe they come out even-- see a shrink.
Play the table for what is available on it. Not the personality of your opponent.
You can get caught up in a lot of ‘other stuff’. Don`t do that. Keep focused on figuring the best way to win and executing your turn at the table.

"Play the table for what is available on it. Not the personality of your opponent."

I strongly disagree. It can be a HUGE advantage to know the personality of your opponent. One great champion whose name I won't mention can and has been made to go totally ballistic to the point of walking away from a match by the perfectly legal behavior of his opponents.

WHY NOT win by default....it's still a win...or at least drive your opponent crazy...which for some, isn't a very long drive. (-:

And some players "catch a stroke" and play well above their "average" speed. So, when that happens...just play them safe at every opportunity to get them off their rhythm. Or slow down like Charlie Williams often does when he goes down...then up...then back down 10 times on a given shot. That drives some players NUTS....I know...I've seen it happen. (-:

LOTS of other competitive strategies that depend upon knowing the other player's personality.

And the GREATEST players don't just play what the table offers as you suggest. Rather, they CREATE sometimes entirely new route possibilities by the way they play given shots.

EagleMan

jims111343

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

EagleMan

Banned

Seems to be a duplicate post. But if not, I still strongly disagree that it is best to just "play the table." There are so many examples it just seems self-evident but when you're playing someone who just loves to "run and gun" and who HATES to play safeties...then leave them TOUGH and the probabilities are that they will attempt a low percentage shot...and miss.

Conversely, if you're playing someone who is essentially defensive by temperment, if you leave them tough, they are likely to respond by LOCKING YOU UP with a safety...get BIH and run out.

The list just goes on and on. SURE...play the table but ALSO play the opponent...before they play YOU!!!

(-:

Last edited:

jims111343

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Generally speaking, playing the table is the most correct advice, and of course any creative intelligence you may have should be used. If you have an even better way which works great for you, congratulations. Jim S.

jims111343

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When faced with an impossible situation, make it even worse for your opponent. Tie something up.

If you believe you lost because of luck. That is not correct! Take a look at what happened just before ‘luck struck’ and you will see the real reason.

jims111343

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just one more word about practice. When you are having fun with your friends playing games, that can be a form of warm up. It is never meaningful practice. You are only reinforcing bad habits. This is the main reason why people stay at the same level for years, and years. Proper practice is when you work on a particular shot to a particular result. Believe me, you can do this even at the lowest levels. If when you miss during play but you write it down, then you have the perfect drill material. Later get on a table by yourself, set up that shot with the best chance for repeatability and shoot it until you are making it regularly and understand more about the shot then you did when you started. There might be an infinity of shots and situations which may come up in a pool game. But many shots have much in common. Rail shots, a slight angle to the right/left, a thin cut to the right/left, close to the cue ball, distance, rail first, jump shots, the break. Only so far as making a ball is concerned ( I am not writing about position here.) there is little else. Once again, when you miss a shot you were really trying hard on, write it down and go after it in real practise soon as you can.

jims111343

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shoot a new video of you playing pool monthly or so.
Are you keeping your head still, your bridge hand steady, moving only your stroking arm? If so you are of a very small minority.. While you can make anything work if you play many hours, it is much easier, and more controllable, when you ‘do it by the book’. Even when you concentrate on doing your routines perfectly, bad habits can still creep in. There are many things which can go wrong with your ability to make shots. If you cannot see, and fix, the problems by yourself then hire an instructor, or seek out a better player who might be willing to help. It is not Rocket science but basics (expanded) must be mastered to reach the highest levels. Work on them more than your opponent does.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
One thing that really helps me...

Remember that ball you dogged in the match... the shot that is not too hard and not a duck but one you should make 10 times out of 9? Shoot it 100 times in groups of 10 and record your results on making it and missing it.

Hopefully during those 100 shots you will figure out how to make ball mroe consistantly and as you get closer to 100 you will see yourself making it more often. Also by the end of the 100 you will have an accurate make percentage on that shot.

These seems like a big pain in the ass but really only takes about 40 mins. I usually use two coins to mark the cue ball and object ball location to ensure that I am putting them in the same place each shot.

jims111343

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you believe you lost because of luck. That is not correct! Take a look at what happened just before ‘luck struck’ and you will see the real reason. This is another instance where some people think that what the other guy did caused them to lose the game. Sorry, you are impeding your own progress by thinking like that. He would not be shooting if you did not miss executing your last shot. That is what enabled the ‘luck’ to occur. Go practice that last shot you missed until you make it all of the time and you will see how much less luck has to do with your outcome. Be better prepared than your opponent and next time you will be ‘the lucky one’.