Tour FEES for non-members

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
We don't have any tours as such down here in Louisiana. It just never took, I guess but in reading about some of the tours around the country they have extra fees tacked on for Non-Members.

While I'm sure, it is important to make sure that regular members are well taken care of; does tacking on a non-member fee have anything to do with protecting or taking care of the regular members.

My perspective is and has always been the more, the merrier. The bigger pie, the bigger the slice and the more slices for each of us that gets to have a taste.

Non-members are traditionally people who have further distances to travel to make it to these events, so in essence they have increased traveling expenses.

If the reason for the non-member fees is to increase the profit margins of the promoter (which I have to think is the main reason), isn't this kind of dumb? Wouldn't more "non-members" be inclined to play/travel to these events if they didn't have these additional fees to pay.

You can talk about local people supporting the event until you're blue in the face and while, I'll listen, it doesn't hold weight, at least for me. As a local person supporting local and regional events, I want MORE people to travel to the events I participate in, not less. I have to think that the non-member fees are more of a deterrent than it is to help "protect" those who support the local events.

The late fees, I can understand a little more than the non-member fees but again are the late fees more about increasing the bottom line of the promoters (and there's nothing wrong with that either) or simply allowing the promoter more leverage to do what? I think the late fees is more of a good thing than a bad thing....

What say ye?
 
membership fees

First let us assume that the tour or association adds value. They promote the sport, provide structure, negotiate with promoters and venues, whatever. For the group to exist they have to either rely on a lot of volunteer work and donations from a few or they have to charge membership fees so the load is spread evenly among members. This is pretty much the justification for fees paying memberships.

Now we have events for these groups that are open to the public also. Sad to say that without any necessity to pay a share most locals will remain nonmembers while cheerfully enjoying all the privileges of membership. Take a look at AZB. How many paid members compared to unpaid members? No advantages to membership unless you really think it gives you a little stroke so a tiny percentage of paid members. That brings us back to the few supporting the many when we apply that same thought to a club, association, or tour.

Only fair that outsiders that are enjoying some of the benefits of being a member of a group pay something for what they are getting and I have never objected to paying a nonmember fee or felt like I was getting a raw deal. The next question is how much should the nonmembership fee be. Open to opinion here but I feel that usually about 1/3 of a yearly membership is fair based on the thought that if you attend three or more of their events a year you should be a member. Some years I was a member of NASCAR, MASCAR, CARS, STARS, AllSTARS, and a handful more I can't remember offhand. Often to run one race it cost me a full year membership. That makes a reasonable nonmembership fee seem pretty fair.

Hu
 
First let us assume that the tour or association adds value. They promote the sport, provide structure, negotiate with promoters and venues, whatever. For the group to exist they have to either rely on a lot of volunteer work and donations from a few or they have to charge membership fees so the load is spread evenly among members. This is pretty much the justification for fees paying memberships.

Now we have events for these groups that are open to the public also. Sad to say that without any necessity to pay a share most locals will remain nonmembers while cheerfully enjoying all the privileges of membership. Take a look at AZB. How many paid members compared to unpaid members? No advantages to membership unless you really think it gives you a little stroke so a tiny percentage of paid members. That brings us back to the few supporting the many when we apply that same thought to a club, association, or tour.

Only fair that outsiders that are enjoying some of the benefits of being a member of a group pay something for what they are getting and I have never objected to paying a nonmember fee or felt like I was getting a raw deal. The next question is how much should the nonmembership fee be. Open to opinion here but I feel that usually about 1/3 of a yearly membership is fair based on the thought that if you attend three or more of their events a year you should be a member. Some years I was a member of NASCAR, MASCAR, CARS, STARS, AllSTARS, and a handful more I can't remember offhand. Often to run one race it cost me a full year membership. That makes a reasonable nonmembership fee seem pretty fair.

Hu

I see that some pool tours have a membership fee for regular members and then an event fee for non-members. The event fee is lower than the membership fee which I agree with.

I like it when a tour spells out all of the details of membershp and discloses all fees upfront. Some of them do just that and others don't. If green fees are taken out of the entry fee/purse, it should be spelled out as well.

If a pool tour has a membership fee for regular members it is only fitting to have an event fee for non-members and as you mentioned, all that's left is to decide what is a fair price for the non-members.

Thanks for your input.
 
I don't have a problem paying a minimal one time fee for an event that may come through our area or one that I would have to travel to whether it for me or one of the players we may sponsor I understand you have to make your regulars feel like the get a little perk but the promoter could do try to set up a deal with a local hotel to help offset the fee for the guy's that are traveling to help attract new players. I know I use to hate it when I was a member of a golf club and someone would come in from another club and pay a cheaper price than me to play 18 or all those deals the satellite and cable customers offer for new customers only. But on the other hand I agree a 1000 % they should disclose what part of the entry fee goes toward the pot the Tour the greens fee ETC.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top