Tournament for regular house players only

808billiards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A little background: I recently opened my poolroom last september and its the only poolroom on the island for the past 15 years. I hold 3 weekly tournaments a week (8,9,10 ball) and 2 monthly tournaments (9,10 ball). The tournaments has been open to everyone. I ahve one particular individual that comes to the tournaments and has made the money 9 out of 10 times. He does not play pool regularly and he only comes to the tournament to make money. A couple of my lower level players has made comments to me that they feel that this guy is taking money from them with no return to the pool community. A lot of the players that play regulary at my poolroom truly cares about my place because they realize how it is not to have a place to play. Would you guys restrict the tournament to regular house players or leave it the way it is and let the guy continue to take money out of the poolroom to support a habit. Any input you guys may have is greatly appreciated.

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A little background: I recently opened my poolroom last september and its the only poolroom on the island for the past 15 years. I hold 3 weekly tournaments a week (8,9,10 ball) and 2 monthly tournaments (9,10 ball). The tournaments has been open to everyone. I ahve one particular individual that comes to the tournaments and has made the money 9 out of 10 times. He does not play pool regularly and he only comes to the tournament to make money. A couple of my lower level players has made comments to me that they feel that this guy is taking money from them with no return to the pool community. A lot of the players that play regulary at my poolroom truly cares about my place because they realize how it is not to have a place to play. Would you guys restrict the tournament to regular house players or leave it the way it is and let the guy continue to take money out of the poolroom to support a habit. Any input you guys may have is greatly appreciated.

Create a fair handicap system. Make a rule that the winner enters on the one loss side the next tournament they play in. Good luck, and thanks for thinking of your players!

edited to add: I am not a room owner, didn't notice that that was where this was posted.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
*Not a room owner*

If the guy comes on a regular basis for the weekly tournaments, then he IS a regular customer. The point of a tournament like this is to bring players into the room, not to make a profit off of the tournament itself. Once the players are in the room, then hopefully they will spend some money on food, gambling table time, etc.

It also begs the question where do you draw the line? If you bar this guy, then the next guy who is next best is going to cash all the time.

Pool players are all crybabies. The ones crying about this guy will cry about the next guy too.

808billiards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
*Not a room owner*

If the guy comes on a regular basis for the weekly tournaments, then he IS a regular customer. The point of a tournament like this is to bring players into the room, not to make a profit off of the tournament itself. Once the players are in the room, then hopefully they will spend some money on food, gambling table time, etc.

It also begs the question where do you draw the line? If you bar this guy, then the next guy who is next best is going to cash all the time.

Pool players are all crybabies. The ones crying about this guy will cry about the next guy too.

my problem is that the guy im toalking about does not spend a dime in the poolroom. The biggest problem is that my lower level guys is complaining that he only come for make money and they even tell me that they might not play anymore. I do the tournaments not to make money because i dont take any from the tournament and the table is free during tournament time. I do it in return for the regular players that actually contribute to the poolroom. When my regulars win then they stick around to play money games or practice. The guy in question takes the money and run every single time.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you charge table time to the loser of each tournament match? That would be a way to effectively earn money from him.

You could also have cards with stamps for your customers. Each time they play 1 hour of pool they get a stamp. After X stamps, you reward them with 1 free hour and 1 free entry into your weekly tournament. Players without the necessary number of stamps would pay full price for the tournament entry.

I'm just thinking out loud here. Good luck to you.

afftonbilliards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One way tourny winners

The other shooters are going to start complaining and you will see a drop in entries. This may be softened a bit if Mr. Winner is slick enough to make sure everyone has a good time while he fleeces them.

However, it is bad for your room. I would very nicely tell him he can't play any more (make it a rule if any one has a certain amount of wins) OR use a form of handicapping. Such as, with each tournament victory, the player has to win an addition game to capture the set in the next event. You didn't mention if every one has to win the same amount of games. Most of these contests assign a handicap to each player to make the whole event more even amongst different levels of players.

If the contestant is so superior to the others and they do not have chance to prevail, you are much better off to axe him or her.

Big Al

the chicken

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I live in a rural community. I'm retired and have the luxury of spending an hour or two each day practicing (while others are at work). I've been practicing for over four years and have gotten to be a better than average player. We have a weekly double elimination tournament at the local bowling alley (with two 4x8 tables available for play).
The "average" players pay their five dollar entry fee, play a few games and loose. If I'm in the tournament (and I am because I run it!) I can almost guarantee they'll loose.

In my opinion it's simple: If you want to win, you have to practice. No practice, no win.

Should I ban myself from the tournament because the other players shoot like crap? I don't think so. If a habitual looser wants to become a winner, they can practice on a regular basis to improve their game. Their ultimate level of skill is dependent on how much effort they are willing to put into their game. It's their choice.

What's the point of rewarding stupidity and laziness (sorry for being so blunt) by banning a consistently better player?

Shoot safe.

John

808billiards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The other shooters are going to start complaining and you will see a drop in entries. This may be softened a bit if Mr. Winner is slick enough to make sure everyone has a good time while he fleeces them.

However, it is bad for your room. I would very nicely tell him he can't play any more (make it a rule if any one has a certain amount of wins) OR use a form of handicapping. Such as, with each tournament victory, the player has to win an addition game to capture the set in the next event. You didn't mention if every one has to win the same amount of games. Most of these contests assign a handicap to each player to make the whole event more even amongst different levels of players.

If the contestant is so superior to the others and they do not have chance to prevail, you are much better off to axe him or her.

Big Al

Thank you. The handicapping system i currently use is a class system. D class to AAAAA class. A class plays B class then A class spot the 8 and so on. I like your idea about winning an extra game the next tournament. I will take it into consideration. Thanks