Two Black Boars for sale

thediamond

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 99.5%
209   1   0
Hi cue fans

Here we have two older Black Boars for sale. These cues are immense playing cues as well as bona fide collectables. I have seen one of these designs before but I can't say I have seen the cue with the ivory framed windows before. I have seen one with the windows as a complete ivory inlay but not like this. Is it unique? I am unsure but it sure is a pretty thing.

1) The ivory window frame cue has a butt weight of 15.75oz and has a matching Predator 314-2 (made for this cue) that weighs 40z. It does not have an original BB shaft with it.

2) The other BB with the ivory starburst design in the butt (don't know the model number, owned a lot of Black Boars but no idea what they are called) has a 15.5oz butt and a Black Boar shaft that weighs 4oz and a 12mm tip with ivory ferrule. There is a second Vollmer shaft that weighs 4.25oz and a 12.57mm tip with an ivorine ferrule.

Both cues and shafts are in excellent condition and the birdseye on both forearms is exceptional.

I will leave the prices off the thread so please PM me or email to simon.dvali@ntlworld.com for info. Cash is king but I will entertain a small part exchange for the good guys that want to deal.

Sincerely

Si
006-2.jpg

001-2.jpg

009-2.jpg

007-1.jpg

Last edited:

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
OH my lord, these are to fine exaples of just how good Tony's work is...

These shouldnt take very long at all to sell.

Good Luck with sale !
-Steve

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
92   0   0
The "web" design cue is model RS-5 from about 20 years ago. It has 78 ivory inlays. It was $2,040 at the time, with two shafts.

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If i didn't know any better, the one with the boxes looks like it originally had rounded diamond inlays, and was modified at a later date by Tony.
I don't ever recall seeing that style of cue.

That is not in any way trying to knock the cue.
It is beautiful.

I just know that Tony has been known to tweak original cue models with extras and adds-ons, years after the fact from when they were built.

Case in point, the room i play at has had several BB's go through it, and several of the players have them locked up.

On of the guys had wanted to add some inlays to a rather bland BB butt back in the day, and they guy who did them for him, butchered the job something awful.
So bad in fact, that the inlays were discoloring badly and they were crooked.

Before the hack job, it just had 4 rounded diamond inlays in the forearm, one for each point, and nothing in the butt, just like this cue has if you take everything else away.

So needless to say, Tony was contacted, and he fixed the situation, putting large beautiful ivory boxes in the place of the smaller crooked inlays.

Cue is now a one of a kind BB.

It would be interesting to know the history of the box cue in the picture.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
92   0   0
If i didn't know any better, the one with the boxes looks like it originally had rounded diamond inlays, and was modified at a later date by Tony.
I don't ever recall seeing that style of cue. ...

I doubt it. One of the early catalog cues was model AS-9. It was the same as the cue that's for sale except for (1) the points (and butt sleeve?) were cocobolo instead of ebony and (2) the windows in the butt sleeve were solid ivory instead of two-piece ivory and wood. Here's a link that will show the AS-9 on the cover of the brochure and a description on the inside. [Note that the web site calls this the 1992 Catalogue, but it was out a couple years before that (perhaps without the FS Series) if my records are accurate.]

Last edited:

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt it. One of the early catalog cues was model AS-9. It was the same as the cue that's for sale except for (1) the points (and butt sleeve?) were cocobolo instead of ebony and (2) the windows in the butt sleeve were solid ivory instead of two-piece ivory and wood. Here's a link that will show the AS-9 on the cover of the brochure and a description on the inside. [Note that the web site calls this the 1992 Catalogue, but it was out a couple years before that (perhaps without the FS Series) if my records are accurate.]

Nice catch.
But you are saying that it wasn't modified, when the cue in the picture isn't identical to the cue in the sale.

Buttcap isn't delrin.
Boxes are different.

Hence the reason why the history of the cue would be interesting to know.
As is, it's not a stock AS-9, but unless we have more catalog pictures, or someone asks Tony directly, we will never know.

Still a great looking cue regardless.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
92   0   0
Nice catch.
But you are saying that it wasn't modified, when the cue in the picture isn't identical to the cue in the sale.

Buttcap isn't delrin.
Boxes are different.

Hence the reason why the history of the cue would be interesting to know.
As is, it's not a stock AS-9, but unless we have more catalog pictures, or someone asks Tony directly, we will never know.

Still a great looking cue regardless.

No, I didn't mean to imply that it definitely has not been modified; that I don't know. It might have been an AS-9 made in ebony instead of cocobolo, with the extra ebony windows added inside the ivory windows either initially or later.

Either way, as you say -- great looking cue.

thediamond

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 99.5%
209   1   0
As I have said, I have already seen one other Black Boar like the window cue with the exact same inlays with the exception of the ivory windows, which were whole ivory blocks instead. I will attempt to find a pic. I find it highly unlikely this cue was modified by Tony. I believe it has come as is and is just a rare model.

Anyway, RS-5 (Starburst cue) is SOLD pending payment.

thediamond

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 99.5%
209   1   0
Here we go.......second cue in from the right....
7d13_12.jpg

This is from Greg Libbys collection. Same cue save for the windows filled in.

1glibby1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
These are a few of the BB's I have owned. The one in question is cocobola wood with a solid lower ivory plate. I would find it very hard to believe this cue in question was modified based on the quality of workmanship and straightness of the inlays. I also would find it hard to believe Tony would not remember this design/wood combination, even with the time factor. Also I find it hard to beileve this cue would have remained such a secret for such a long time if it were a BB modified design.

Whatever the case good luck and I don't think it would take more than a phone call to confirm.

If it is still available plz reply with the asking price of both cues in case the either become available.

greg libby
(man or myth)

7d13_12.jpg