two questions related to rhythm/stroke

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
you need to just watch a bunch of top players. easier to watch-n-copy as opposed to have someone on a forum tell you how.
Really??
With Zero vids of the stroke?
How do you learn from not knowing how its done?

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
you need to just watch a bunch of top players. easier to watch-n-copy as opposed to have someone on a forum tell you how.

I hear you and I do watch plenty of pro pool. obviously there's a lot of good stuff there.
this said, I know for a fact that I've gotten a lot of good stuff outta this forum, too..there's more than one way to shine a penny

Reactions: bbb

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hear you and I do watch plenty of pro pool. obviously there's a lot of good stuff there.
this said, I know for a fact that I've gotten a lot of good stuff outta this forum, too..there's more than one way to shine a penny
just put Gorst on a 24hr loop. Kid has the best mechanics on the planet imo. So many technically perfect players today. Another to watch is Sigel's 150 run against Zuglan. Flawless mechanics and shot choices too.

Reactions: bbb

WobblyStroke

just put Gorst on a 24hr loop. Kid has the best mechanics on the planet imo. So many technically perfect players today. Another to watch is Sigel's 150 run against Zuglan. Flawless mechanics and shot choices too.
Agree on Gorst. But I'll only watch Sigel for his patterns and shot selection... Aside from jumping up on shots, he plays backhand english on some shots so he's swerving that cue all over the place. I wouldn't look at anyone using that style for their fundamentals unless that was my style as well. Gorst just makes it look so easy. Mike doesn't give off that impression, though his patterns leave him lotta easy shots.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agree on Gorst. But I'll only watch Sigel for his patterns and shot selection... Aside from jumping up on shots, he plays backhand english on some shots so he's swerving that cue all over the place. I wouldn't look at anyone using that style for their fundamentals unless that was my style as well. Gorst just makes it look so easy. Mike doesn't give off that impression, though his patterns leave him lotta easy shots.
I've seen him play live a couple times and never really saw him using BHE. His stroke is LAZER straight btw. He fires long tough shots in like their dead hangers. Not a fan of such a wide stance but his cue delivery is nearly perfect.

WobblyStroke

I've seen him play live a couple times and never really saw him using BHE. His stroke is LAZER straight btw. He fires long tough shots in like their dead hangers. Not a fan of such a wide stance but his cue delivery is nearly perf
13:25 and 14:05 of same rack in the 150 and out run you mentioned show massive deviations from str8 cue delivery. On the firs he was probably throwing the ball a bit to keep CB off the rail, and the other he just had to spin over for shape. Obv not a stroke flaw as he swerves in opposite directions, just applying BHE like so many pros did back in the 80s/90s. In general, I think you would struggle to find an entire rack of Sigel playing where he doesn't follow through up in the air, jump up on a shot, or swerve. But his patterns are gold.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
13:25 and 14:05 of same rack in the 150 and out run you mentioned show massive deviations from str8 cue delivery. On the firs he was probably throwing the ball a bit to keep CB off the rail, and the other he just had to spin over for shape. Obv not a stroke flaw as he swerves in opposite directions, just applying BHE like so many pros did back in the 80s/90s. In general, I think you would struggle to find an entire rack of Sigel playing where he doesn't follow through up in the air, jump up on a shot, or swerve. But his patterns are gold.

Buddy said he was the straightest shooter for a reason. He rarely missed the tough ones. You can't make that many shots with delivery flaws. May not look perfect on video but it damn near was in person. Ever watched any of the Filipinos in person? Now there's some weird shit going on there. I've seen Efren and Busti play and i sometimes wonder how they make a ball.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm pretty sure Sigel used the swipe method on many side spin shots. He was from that era before LD shafts.

WobblyStroke

Buddy said he was the straightest shooter for a reason. He rarely missed the tough ones. You can't make that many shots with delivery flaws. May not look perfect on video but it damn near was in person. Ever watched any of the Filipinos in person? Now there's some weird shit going on there. I've seen Efren and Busti play and i sometimes wonder how they make a ball.
I'm not saying he has flaws in his stroke, just that when a guy is applying english by swiping across the ball, he's not using the same style I use so I don't watch em for those reasons. Sigel was a great player, no doubt, and was a very str8 shooter....that doesn't mean his cue delivery was str8 when hitting with english, which it clearly was not even if you only look at the two shots I tagged in the last post.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm not saying he has flaws in his stroke, just that when a guy is applying english by swiping across the ball, he's not using the same style I use so I don't watch em for those reasons. Sigel was a great player, no doubt, and was a very str8 shooter....that doesn't mean his cue delivery was str8 when hitting with english, which it clearly was not even if you only look at the two shots I tagged in the last post.
Yup. I would never recommend Sigel as a model for mechanics to a beginning player. Or an advanced player, for that matter.