Tying string to a cue butt / no grip drill

christopheradam

Christopher Adams
Silver Member
Has anyone else tried tying a string to a cue butt and holding the string and hitting balls like this with no grip on the cue. I was hitting balls like this and making some nice shots and getting a real fluid action going.

Any other ideas similair to this? If you haven't tried this, go give it a try. Its a good drill I personally have never heard of. If you are over gripping the cue this can give you an idea of what a light grip can feel like and how a nice fluid action can feel like. The "no grip" grip if you will :).

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
You could invent a $1 cost plastic "handle" with a strong rubber band that goes over the butt of the cue connected by a short piece of string (2 inches or so) and sell thousands of them to the pool playing public for $10 a pop as stroke trainers.

christopheradam

Christopher Adams
Silver Member
Celtic said:
You could invent a $1 cost plastic "handle" with a strong rubber band that goes over the butt of the cue connected by a short piece of string (2 inches or so) and sell thousands of them to the pool playing public for $10 a pop as stroke trainers.

Actually, what gave me the idea to try using a string, was picturing what it would be like to play if I had a hook for a hand. I actually took a coat hanger and was using that and had the thought that string would work better and it did.

Some type of handle might work better with the string. And the rubber band sounds like good idea.

greenkill

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
so it would kind of be like a pendulem? or one of those medieval rams on a swing that they used to break into forts/castles?

Just trying to picture what you are describing.

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
greenkill said:
so it would kind of be like a pendulem? or one of those medieval rams on a swing that they used to break into forts/castles?

Just trying to picture what you are describing.

Pretty much exactly like the ram, you hold onto the string and the cue strokes back and forth with the butt hanging from the string you hold in the stroking hand. I think such a thing built as a stroke trainer would actually be useful.

JellyBean

Banned
christopheradam said:
Has anyone else tried tying a string to a cue butt and holding the string and hitting balls like this with no grip on the cue. I was hitting balls like this and making some nice shots and getting a real fluid action going.

Any other ideas similair to this? If you haven't tried this, go give it a try. Its a good drill I personally have never heard of. If you are over gripping the cue this can give you an idea of what a light grip can feel like and how a nice fluid action can feel like. The "no grip" grip if you will :).

If you really want to get better, tie a string around your neck. Bend a down a little and tie the other end around your tesicles. This will prevent you from jumping up on your shot - guaranteed.

Jellybean

Hal

Beer Player
Silver Member
To hell with that. I pocket balls by shooting the cue ball with a rubber band. I call it "Sling Shot Six Ball"

christopheradam

Christopher Adams
Silver Member
JellyBean said:
If you really want to get better, tie a string around your neck. Bend a down a little and tie the other end around your tesicles. This will prevent you from jumping up on your shot - guaranteed.

Jellybean

Instead of doing that, have a partner hold a brick over your head. If you pop up you hit the break and your out like a light. If you miss the shot have your partner drop the brick. :). A double edged sword and you get to keep your testicles.

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
JellyBean said:

Jellybean

I was thinking of going with a gold chain for a little bit of bling in my game

fxskater

Ryan The Salmon Arm Lynn
Silver Member
JellyBean said:

Jellybean

Mwahahaha... Funny thing is, i seen one of these devices not 2 days ago. Some rotary club, or lions club or something was having a garage sale in the mall. They had this thing from the 1960's that was used as a golf training device to keep your head down. It had this headband and then this big scary looking hook that didnt quite hook under your crotch, just enough to kinda grab your balls and rip em off if you were to agressive on your swing and didn't keep your head down. I almost bought it for something to goof around with other people on the driving range with. It was quite an invention, gotta see it to believe it.