U.S. Patent No. 7,452,282

ronhudson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BENFICA said:
Mike is the pioneer on developing the phenolic one piece for jump/break as well the phenolic tip and for that, he needs to be recognized.
The only company that paid royalties was McDermott and the use of the Sledgehammer.
This is basically a way to protect your intelectual property and put it at work.
How would you like to come up with some cool invention and have somebody else take advantage of your idea and make millions off of it while you see the train go by?

Are you saying that cuemakers are making millions selling jump/break cues with one piece phenolic tips?

gulyassy

Custom Cues Since 1986
Silver Member
ronhudson said:
Are you saying that cuemakers are making millions selling jump/break cues with one piece phenolic tips?
I made a half a million out of my shop the first year and I am a little company.

Heyalex40

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good Move

I thought this was a very good move, even before I read Mike's post about making a half million so far. A patent is only worth what your willing to spend to enforce it and I doubt Mike is going to chase small time, custom cue makers trying to collect royalties. Thier is no money in it. Where mike will benifit will be selling it to the big guys. The Predators (and the like) of the world would rather pay for a patented item themselves because they do not have the creative design staff needed to come up with a product like this.
Good Luck Mike. I love when creativity is rewarded, unlike our soon to be President.

Craig Fales

Registered bubinga user
Silver Member
macguy said:
It is civil law and would require him to actually file a law suit and take someone to court. What would be his damages? Maybe a few hundred dollars regarding the average cuemaker. It would cost him thousands to defend the patent. He would never win a suit, they would all be thrown out as frivolous due to the low dollar value. He would also be stuck for any expense he put someone through. The patent is unenforceable, it is a joke. If he has an attorney advising him the attorney is not being honest with him and just screwing him out of his money. It would be like suing someone for a million dollars because they stepped on your foot in a movie line. There has to be damages for a law suit, just being right is not good enough.
LOLz. I have to congratulate him on a worthless patent on a design that quite frankly is flawed beyond comprehension. I did one for a customer and they 'blew out' on the sides 3 times. All this after using measurements to the thousandth and making sure no air pockets existed. From that day forward I said no more stupid one piece ferrule/tip combos.

Last edited:

gulyassy

Custom Cues Since 1986
Silver Member
Craig Fales said:
LOLz. I have to congratulate him on a worthless patent on a design that quite frankly is flawed beyond comprehension. I did one for a customer and they 'blew out' on the sides 3 times. All this after using measurements to the thousandth and making sure no air pockets existed. From that day forward I said no more stupid one piece ferrule/tip combos.
It was bad material. This is the reason I went looking for a material that would not break. It cost me thousands of dollars replacing the shafts that I had the same experience with. Not only did the material break but it split right down the shaft. I have replaced over 50 shafts because of a bad batch of phenolic. Now the material I have I believe cannot break from playing pool. This is why I have this new patent because of this new material. This is why I offer an unconditional guarantee on my new ferrule material, not only will it not damage the cue ball and hold chalk better than any other phenolic but if for any reason it breaks I will replace it free and I will pay the return shipping.

tucson9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Material......

gulyassy said:
It was bad material. This is the reason I went looking for a material that would not break. It cost me thousands of dollars replacing the shafts that I had the same experience with. Not only did the material break but it split right down the shaft. I have replaced over 50 shafts because of a bad batch of phenolic. Now the material I have I believe cannot break from playing pool. This is why I have this new patent because of this new material. This is why I offer an unconditional guarantee on my new ferrule material, not only will it not damage the cue ball and hold chalk better than any other phenolic but if for any reason it breaks I will replace it free and I will pay the return shipping.
I made reference to a special material a couple posts back. When I read your patent I did not see anyything about a special material you have designed. The only thing I read was your ferrule/tip design. Am I missing something?

Guerra Cues

I build one cue at a time
Silver Member
tucson9ball said:
I made reference to a special material a couple posts back. When I read your patent I did not see anyything about a special material you have designed. The only thing I read was your ferrule/tip design. Am I missing something?

You sure are missing the whole thing. I guess you are reading the bold letters only. Read the whole thing, not just the first paragraph.

gulyassy

Custom Cues Since 1986
Silver Member
tucson9ball said:
I did not design it but found it. It is a material that I had made. It is far superior to any of the material available and now I have the patent on it.

gulyassy

Custom Cues Since 1986
Silver Member
Klink said:
Congrad on the patent. I am interested in buying one. How can I tell the newer version from the older one in pics.
Thanks,Mike
Only I have this new kind of phenolic. My patent will protect me from anyone else having it made for the ferrule/tip or importing this into the US.

tucson9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Patent......

BENFICA said:
You sure are missing the whole thing. I guess you are reading the bold letters only. Read the whole thing, not just the first paragraph.
I was the person who put those words in bold. I read the patent and it does not say anything about a special material, or at least that I could find. It just refers to the ferrule/tip being different than conventional cues.
It seems a patent on this "special material" would have been a better patent to get in my opinion. Then nobody else could use this material. I could not find anything about this material in the patent. Just curious.

gulyassy

Custom Cues Since 1986
Silver Member
uwate said:
First let me congratulate you on getting a patent. Its a long process and can be expensive as well.

I would like to point out though that enforcement of your patent on other jump cues using phenolic tips/ferrules would seem to have problems with prior art. In patent law, if it can be demonstrated that your idea has been in use by others prior to your patent filing, then it presents real problems for you to enforce the patent and collect royalties. Prior art can invalidate a patent when a case gets to court, because the US Patent office has issued many patents that did not have the adequate due diligence done on prior art.

I clearly remember using jump cues with one piece tip/ferrules in the early 90s. In particular I owned one of those silver pipe cues that were pretty thick, like 16 or 17mm ferrule size that were all one piece phenolic.

I read over your patent and with no interest in this matter one way or the other, I find it difficult to understand which part of your invention is unique and with no prior use by others going back into the 90s. If I missed it and you have an idea incorporated into your jump cues that is completely novel and was not in use prior to your use, then yes by all rights you deserve to be recognized and financially rewarded for this.
I remember the jump rod. It was banned very quickly and it did not have a ferrule but a tip that was slid into the rod. The unique part of my new cues is the new material I use. It holds chalk better, is virtually unbreakable and will not damage the cue ball.

gulyassy

Custom Cues Since 1986
Silver Member
macguy said:
It is civil law and would require him to actually file a law suit and take someone to court. What would be his damages? Maybe a few hundred dollars regarding the average cuemaker. It would cost him thousands to defend the patent. He would never win a suit, they would all be thrown out as frivolous due to the low dollar value. He would also be stuck for any expense he put someone through. The patent is unenforceable, it is a joke. If he has an attorney advising him the attorney is not being honest with him and just screwing him out of his money. It would be like suing someone for a million dollars because they stepped on your foot in a movie line. There has to be damages for a law suit, just being right is not good enough.
My attorney is my partner, he charges me nothing so I am not getting screwed.

tucson9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Patent.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucson9ball
gulyassy said:
I did not design it but found it. It is a material that I had made. It is far superior to any of the material available and now I have the patent on it.
This clears things up a bit. But I could not find a reference to this material in your patent? Is it in there or is your patent just for the ferrul/tip design? I'm not knocking your patent in any way but I just could not find this material in there. If it's not in the patent specifically, your patent appears to be just for your design of this particular ferrule/tip.? Not the material used for it?

gulyassy

Custom Cues Since 1986
Silver Member
tucson9ball said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tucson9ball

This clears things up a bit. But I could not find a reference to this material in your patent? Is it in there or is your patent just for the ferrul/tip design? I'm not knocking your patent in any way but I just could not find this material in there. If it's not in the patent specifically, your patent appears to be just for your design of this particular ferrule/tip.? Not the material used for it?
The patent refers to the ferrule/tip made of phenolic.

Craig Fales

Registered bubinga user
Silver Member
gulyassy said:
Actually the material I used was something that Lee, {Brianna} had.

9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
gulyassy said:
Finally, I have been issued the patent for my Ferrule/Tip technology. The patent # is U.S. Patent No. 7,452,282. From this day forward all the break jump cues I make will have this patent number on them. It only took 7 years to get it. It is worth looking into.
Mike Gulyassy

Mike congratulations on your patent. I know Its a long hard road to get one!

I remember buying a jump break cue years ago in olathe ks, at shooters. You and I had a friendly jump competition with each other, You used your jump break cue and I used my full length cue.

You complimented me on my jumping ability with a full length cue. But in the end I still bought one of your early jb cues you were selling back than.

I had it for years , And I would still have it today, But unfortunately due to illness I fell on hard times and gone is that Jump break cue of yours. (darn)

Anyway I wish you the best with your product and patent, I too have some billiard related items I would like to patent and market , Got a good patent lawyer? LOL! :)

gulyassy

Custom Cues Since 1986
Silver Member
Craig Fales said:
Actually the material I used was something that Lee, {Brianna} had.
We all bought the same material from the same manufacturer. There was a batch that was bad. This batch was going on my cues and I was replacing shafts, a lot of them. I had to change materials or find something that would not break. I really did not care for the G10 being that it is harder than the cue ball, and the linen, paper and other phenolics did not hold the chalk like I was used to. This new material is the nuts and is warrantied by me for life or at no cost I will replace any damage and ship the shafts back free of charge on my new Mike Gulyassy Break Jump Cues.

elvicash

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mike

Will you put the new material on existing jump break cues?

I have one of your cues approximately 1 yr old that I like and it works well, very well, but I am interested in new tip if it is better than what I have.

gulyassy

Custom Cues Since 1986
Silver Member
elvicash said:
Mike

Will you put the new material on existing jump break cues?

I have one of your cues approximately 1 yr old that I like and it works well, very well, but I am interested in new tip if it is better than what I have.
The new material is the best of the best. It will not only stand up to the big breakers unlike the older material that broke very easily by the 30 MPH guys but it chalks better than any phenolic ever used for the break jump cues. I charge $30.00 plus shipping for replacement on my cues.