ultraskin tip install

dendweller

I've always used triangle tips, have a lathe, have never had a problem putting them on, never had one fall off on me.

I recently bought some ultraskins to give them a try. Don't know if there's a different method of installing but I'm not having the success I always have with the triangles.

Here's my current process.

I rough the tip on sand paper to flatten it, score the flattened area with a razor. Also score the cleaned up surface on the shaft. Put gel super glue on the tip, rub it around on the shaft surface so I have complete coverage, position it and hold it tightly in place for a count of 30 or so. Then I let it sit for a 5 minutes or so before trimming.

Do the same with the ultraskin and it tends to fall off either when letting off the pressure or when trimming.

Anybody see anything I'm doing wrong for a layered tip?

Thanks for any advice.

xX-Wizard-Xx

sometimes notice if you get Super glue on your fingers. old super glue does not instantly bond and newer super glue will bond your fingers almost instantly.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've always used triangle tips, have a lathe, have never had a problem putting them on, never had one fall off on me.

I recently bought some ultraskins to give them a try. Don't know if there's a different method of installing but I'm not having the success I always have with the triangles.

I rough the tip on sand paper to flatten it, score the flattened area with a razor. Also score the cleaned up surface on the shaft. Put gel super glue on the tip, rub it around on the shaft surface so I have complete coverage, position it and hold it tightly in place for a count of 30 or so. Then I let it sit for a 5 minutes or so before trimming.

Do the same with the ultraskin and it tends to fall off either when letting off the pressure or when trimming.

Thanks for any advice.
i like the way dz does his:
sealing the bottom is not a bad idea. don't need to score either. CA likes flat surfaces best.

Mase

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks for any advice.
Make sure that all the glue isn't soaking into the tip. Give it a minute before putting the 2 surfaces together.

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
While I'm new at this, I've done about 20 tips so far, all Ultraskins in Fire and Black versions. None have come off. I flatten glue surface with 150 grit and put glue on tip first. I do not see the need to score surfaces. Freshly opened glue will set almost instantly, but if glue has been opened for 6 months or so, tip will need to be held for 30 sec or more to stay put. I now don't use any glue over 3 months after opening, it's cheap. I use Loctite gel.

xX-Wizard-Xx

While I'm new at this, I've done about 20 tips so far, all Ultraskins in Fire and Black versions. None have come off. I flatten glue surface with 150 grit and put glue on tip first. I do not see the need to score surfaces. Freshly opened glue will set almost instantly, but if glue has been opened for 6 months or so, tip will need to be held for 30 sec or more to stay put. I now don't use any glue over 3 months after opening, it's cheap. I use Loctite gel.
i think its a gluing issue. Also if he is not using a lathe... the surface of the tip or ferrule might not be exactly flat. i sometimes check with a gift card to make sure the ferrule is flat against the card also the tip after roughing.. this is when i was installing tips by hand.

surffisher2a

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With Ultraskins, After initial sanding to remove the "glue" logo, I put a light coat of glue on the tip and spread it thin and let it dry or hit with CA activator. Then I sand it flat, add more glue and proceed with my normal tip install. With most other tips I don't have to do a pre-coat of the glue, but it seems the ultraskins really like to suck up the glue. Once i started precoating, I never had one come off or had trouble getting them to stick to the ferule. I use Gorilla super gel for these tips.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's usually 1 of 2 things, the tip or the ferulle is not flat and/or the super glue is old. Once it's open it's usually only good for 30 days. I know others go longer than that but that's my cutoff timeframe.

dendweller

i think its a gluing issue. Also if he is not using a lathe... the surface of the tip or ferrule might not be exactly flat. i sometimes check with a gift card to make sure the ferrule is flat against the card also the tip after roughing.. this is when i was installing tips by hand.
using a lathe, check for flatness on the shaft surface before gluing, thanks

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I used a tool post holder and take a piece of sandpaper and put it between the end of shaft and the tool post holder, then slide the carriage over to apply light pressure on the end of the shaft with the sandpaper. I do this a few times while the shaft is spinning about 50-100 rpm's.

Basically, I'm using the edge of the tool post as a flat surface to ensure the end of the shaft is flat.

dendweller

With Ultraskins, After initial sanding to remove the "glue" logo, I put a light coat of glue on the tip and spread it thin and let it dry or hit with CA activator. Then I sand it flat, add more glue and proceed with my normal tip install. With most other tips I don't have to do a pre-coat of the glue, but it seems the ultraskins really like to suck up the glue. Once i started precoating, I never had one come off or had trouble getting them to stick to the ferule. I use Gorilla super gel for these tips.
There does seem to be something different, same glue etc. on a triangle, no problem.

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
Scoring is not a good practice. Just sand lightly with 320 or 400. Likely your glue is wicking into the tip and starving the connection point. Put a drop of thin CA on the tip to prime it, and your wicking issue should be solved.
Make sure both surfaces are very flat, a light touch with a razor blade while the ferrule is spinning works great.

Last edited:

Rodney

hot7339
Silver Member
There does seem to be something different, same glue etc. on a triangle, no problem.

I’d guess you’re not sanding the tip flat. I lightly sand with 320 or 400 then prime with superglue. I let the glue sit for about 5 seconds before I wipe it off. Lightly sand again after the glue dries then install as normal. I rarely have a problem and when I do it’s usually the glue.

Rodney

hot7339
Silver Member
I’d guess you’re not sanding the tip flat. I lightly sand with 320 or 400 then prime with superglue. I let the glue sit for about 5 seconds before I wipe it off. Lightly sand again after the glue dries then install as normal. I rarely have a problem and when I do it’s usually the glue.

Loctite professional is what I usually use, got away from gels after a couple issues with finicky ferrules.

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
Make sure your Lathe crossslide is setup correctly....it may look like you are facing the ferrule flat....BUT you could have it slightly cocked which would make a slight point on the ferrule face instead of it perfectly flat. take a 1" dowel and chuck up and face it off...using an accurate 90 square, check the facing for flatness in relation to the side of the dowel......if any void or rocking, then your lathe crossslide is not set properly to the headstock..

Thunder Thighs

I'm your Huckleberry
Silver Member
Since this is the Ask the Cuemaker section. I'm sure that the OP would appreciate answers from actual cuemakers. Yes I did see a couple of answers from known cuemakers/repairmen here.