Undecided Whether To Eliminate a Great Cue

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For the past year, I have been toying with selling / trading my EP cue to get a bigger cue.There is not a thing wrong with the cue....immaculate condition, the most beautiful flame veneers imaginable, hits marvelous, lots of inlays and ivory cue components.The cue is just flat out handsome and it's stands out in a crowded field. Oh yeah, the cue hits amazing by anyone's standards that's tried my cue. If it weren't for the upcoming ban on ivory sales in California, this wouldn't be an issue. In fact, it makes parting wthi my cue all the more difficult because unless Ed relocates out of California, he won't be making any more cues like mine again. I do not know if that will make EP ivory laden cues more in demand but that could wind up being the outcome for some CA cue-makers I suppose.

Here's why I mention this..........I want a cue made by Joel Hercek and it has to have ivory components. I do not intend to be relocating so if I want that cue, it has to reach me by June. The ban is effective July 1st......I am prepared to trade...or sell....my fancy EP cue and pony up cash. I cannot buy the cue until I can play with it.........that isn't going to happen until sometime in May and it might be early, mid or late May......gotta first see how my recovery goes but that's the current calendar outlook. So that leaves a window of approximately 3 weeks to 6 weeks at best.

I am not interested in parting with my Prewitt cue unless it is to finance the purchase of a Hercek cue that is under 19 ounces, flat ivory joint & ferrules and veneers. I have one spotted but as I stated, since I can't play with the cue until May, getting it right now is a little silly. However, if I do not find a nicer cue or a better deal, that's probably the Hercek cue I will get. In the meantime, I'd like to find out if there are any other Hercek cues to consider. I've seem some dandy ones sell for under $4k and my budget is $5-7k. Although I am eager to get a Hercek, I am perfectly content if it turns out never happening either. Like I earlier wrote, my EP is not for sale and is only available to help pay for the addition of a Hercek cue to my collection. If you have or know of any Hercek cues like I described that might be for sale, please contact me......the cue must be >18 ozs and < 19 ozs and flat ivory joint..........TX.



Matt B.
 
Hi Matt, to this day I still regret selling my EP, because they are so unique. I had to raise money quickly on a purchase of a Southwest, which I knew I wasn't going to keep. Also I have the same feeling about selling a Colt Magnum Carry which is so rare.. Larry
 
Last edited:
Matt, isn't there another place you can get the cue shipped? I have ivory cues shipped to my parents house because NJ has the ban already. I believe I'll be making the trek to Maryland to pick up my Sly when it's ready so it doesn't have enough to be shipped to me in Jersey.
 
Hey Matt
Get a room in Reno or Vegas. Ship the cue to the hotel, hold for arrival. Kill two birds with one stone.

Alternately, find a UPS store in either place. Call and arrange same.
My best,
Phil
 
Go see the cue in California that I have almost ready now

or wait for the next wave of progress from California,they may make Ivory inlays mandatory
call it affirmative action no.2

Elephants should have the same rights as anybody else
 
If you want a Hercek more than you want the Prewitt than its a no brainier. First contact Joel and ask him if it's been common to build cues under 19 oz. If you like the answer he gives ya, put feelers out for a Hercek with your specs. Also send a message to Troy ( Vinniebabarooch ) here on AZ. He may have a hookup for ya. Sell your Prewitt outright now because values are not going up, and wait for a cue you'll be happy with. That's what I'd do.. Been there done that. You may think it a risk getting rid of the Prewitt now but you know what they say, no risk no reward.
 
Last edited:
How much do you plan on selling the EP for and how hard would it be to get that money together if you didnt sell it...

Personally, I rarely sold cues when I was collecting. Now I have 8 nice cues that just sit in a cue rack that I still really have no intention of getting rid of. Sure the money would be great, but I just like them even though I will probably never use them anymore.
 
Well, I certainly don't have an answer for you but I do wish you a speedy recovery!
 
Matt I have the perfect solution to your problem of having too many cues and needing to get rid of one to make room for the new one coming. keep the EP because I know much you love that cue and give me the Scruggs because you know how much I love that cue and then you will have room for the new cue and everyone is happy......... right :)
 
Matt,
I traded Lillte Kenny , Fourkingscues, two great Herceks in fall 2014. One was a Hoppe cocobolo with ivory diamonds and diamonds dots in the butt sleeve. It is 18.8, veneers are black red and white. He sold both cues to someone in Atlanta. The Hoppe I reference I think would please you
Phil
 
Matt, I realize this may be a slight detour in your thread, so I apologize, but I keep wondering about the enforcement of such a law. Who would inspect and how?

There are no ports between you and your maker so customers would not get involved. The cue gets picked up by say UPS and gets shipped directly to you (I assume overnight or 2-day). The shipper hubs are privately run and I guess would require permission from shipper prior to any inspections.

I can't for the life of me see UPS agreeing to someone randomly pulling shipments out of their control to inspect something that may or may not be a cue, let alone one that might have something ivory in it. Perhaps I don't understand the process that well.

In any event, hope you get the Hercek you want.

Paul
 
Thanks For The Replies

Thanks for the replies........under 19 ounce aren't as rare as one might think.The MOP Hercek cue on Cornerstone is only 18.1 ounces. As far as ordering and shipping elsewhere, the entire deal....order placement and receipt of the cue must occur outside CA. If my cue from Bob runs late, I will have the cue sent to my buddy in LV and I will retrieve it.....it was ordered a long time ago. Paul raises a point.....where are the ivory parcel inspectors or how would it be detected? Therein lies the problem.......it matters not in the least as my conscience is my own police....I will not knowingly, intentionally, purposefully......phrase it any way you prefer......break the law......once the law is on the books, I will abide and obey it......the values and principles involved are too important for me personally speaking........I will not cheat on my taxes, lie under oath or violate the CA ivory ban after enactment......it's just how I was raised and it is what it is but breaking the law is just not in the cards for me.


My best shot is to go to a cue show in LV....cue in hand and cash always gets the best terms. Since that is not in the future right now, I was hoping that by the time I resumed pool again, something concrete might have turned up.......heck, attribute this post to me sitting at home with too much time of my hands after having surgery last week......See the doctor tomorrow and find out what he did this time to fix my shoulder.


Thanks for the comments and suggestions. Maybe one of the cues Phil sold will work its way to the surface again and although Vinnie has a tremendous collection and many contacts, he doesn't have anything that he could part with but nonetheless , he'll keep me on his radar just in case a cue comes along. As I previously wrote, if it weren't for the pending ban, then I would hang onto my cue and just shop for a Hercek cue. That's a reliable fallback plan and as previously suggested, I can go to LV later this year or next year for that matter and shop around for the right Hercek cue. And if it never happens, Obladi Oblada......how could I ever be disappointed hanging onto a cue like this? Ad if that's the actual outcome, does anyone have a 12.75mm EP shaft they part with?


TX,

Matt B.


p.s. My kids already understand if anything happens to me, the Scruggs cue is Tommy's if he doesn't already have it before then.......hope Nick doesn't read this.
 

Attachments

  • Prewitt Cue 002.jpg
    Prewitt Cue 002.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 453
  • Cornerstone Cues 10-23-14.jpg
    Cornerstone Cues 10-23-14.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 374
  • EP Butt Sleeve.jpg
    EP Butt Sleeve.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 481
  • Sharp Points.jpg
    Sharp Points.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 397
Last edited:
We have seen pictures of your cues before. The EP is far and away my favorite of the group. I don't think you can trade up from it. If you sell/trade, you'll be kicking yourself in the fanny every time you think about it. If you can't afford to buy a Hercek straight up (the best option), then consider selling two of you other cues. JMO
 
No offense meant, but: If you sell that Ed Prewitt, you must be either desperate or an idiot. Sorry, but if you give away that cue, you will allways be sorry that you let it go.

I think in 5-10 years from now you would feel like somebody that sold a Balabushka 25 years ago feels today.

Again - please excuse my drastic words but as somebody that loves his EP cue, I am a bit shocked.

Please keep it

Gerhard
 
Thanks for The Replies

Sealegs50.......I added the photos since there might be some Hercek cue owners that had not previously viewed my cue.......thank goodness it's not part of my signature like some other Azers prefer to do......gets pretty boring seeing the same cue with someone's posts.

gehawe.....your reply and candor is very much welcomed.....as is Sealegs & everyone else.....I did write I am undecided and that's the gospel truth. Hercek, Tibbits & Prewitt are my magi among cue-makers and owning all 3 is way too expensive. Any cue I custom order will never be for sale........that's my entire collection except for the Prewitt cue.........I had a Mottey 8 pointer........ it's listed for sale right now by another Azer......I did not order the Mottey cue and acquired it via the secondary market. Cues that were made for someone else do not have the same sentiment or appeal as the ones I had made for myself. The Prewitt cue is the same......I didn't order it but since it's one of my 3 cue-makers, I treasure it very highly........but Joel Hercek is my all-time favorite cue-maker so I'd rather have a cue from #1 on my list instead of #3.........I have the dough to just buy a Hercek cue but there comes a point where you say I don't need a $30k cue collection.......it's already gotten pretty hefty but a little more heft is okay by trading up for a Hercek.

I think gehawe is probably right in that I do not think EP will decide to relocate out of CA and that means no more new orders for ivory cues 5 months from now and that will make the one I own all the more special to me and cue value should get a little boost. Maybe others are also thinking this way since I've already received several requests about contacting people if I decide to sell my cue. I am confident selling my cue won't be a challenge but I do not want to sell it and so I will either keep my EP cue or "replace" it with a Hercek cue which appeals to me. As I originally wrote, I certainly can't lose if I do not get a Hercek cue since I get to keep and play with the cue in the photos. All in all, this thread has yielded some meaningful results......interested possible buyers but unfortunately none with a Hercek to trade, offers of help in locating a Hercek cue and the best.....this thread hasn't turned uncivil.....so it's worked out better than I imagined.


Matt B.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top