UNI-LOC joint - the real story

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Love Bill dearly for his ability and creativity - but when it came to "total recall" about who did what when, he frequently re-invented discussions and circumstances and embellished - simple as that . . . Sargent Friday had it right "Please, just the facts madam."
Once again thanks for the reply

joelpope

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
DeeDee you really are hopeless - this is not a contest about why the Uni-Loc or Radial pin are better - and the mere fact that YOU have offered nothing of any substance here speaks for itself - you have been tried, measured and found wanting. DONE !!
well said, this DeeDee represents the worst on the forum and the main reason many have just given up and moved on. If it is mine, it is the best & if it is yours and I don't or can't have it then it is the worst. Childish

DeeDeeCues

well said, this DeeDee represents the worst on the forum and the main reason many have just given up and moved on. If it is mine, it is the best & if it is yours and I don't or can't have it then it is the worst. Childish

You call me childish, pfd calls me hopeless. I've offered reasons why the Vee threads are better. People have responded with problems they have with the uni-loc.

Nobody has offered any argument why the uni-loc or radial are better than vee threads;. I don't care what people buy. I do care that people buy into false claims by marketing machines like predator and mezz.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
While I could not agree more about the quality and the soundness of the UNI-LOC joint let me take this opportunity to set the record straight about the creation of the UNI-LOC joint . . . IF "you" know anything at all about United States Patents then you know that for the submission to ultimately be successfully upheld that ANYONE who had any direct involvement with the creation of the "product" MUST be named in the "INVENTORS" section. Bill Strouds name is NOT there on the May 21, 1996 Patent Number 5,518,455 document . . . NOR is it on ANY subsequent Patent that has anything to do with "QUICK COUPLING CUE STICK". Bill Stroud, did NOT invent the UNI-LOC - PERIOD. The two (2) names that are on the Patent are Paul Costain, then owner of PDC Machine and Gary Fumarola, General manager of PDC Machine, so despite rumor and popular opinion, they and only they invented the UNI-LOC.

Report Edit Delete
I never heard anyone claiming Bill Stroud invented the Uni Loc quick release, but back when the Radial pin by Uni Loc came out I did hear many saying Stroud came up with that one.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's why there's the oh-so-wonderful 'IGNORE' function. Just forget the the guy exists. He should know by know that his pedantic engineering insight really means nothing to 99.999999999999999999999999% of people that play pool. He's probably the only one that cares so much about the perfection of the shaft/butt interface.

JC

Coos Cues
You call me childish, pfd calls me hopeless. I've offered reasons why the Vee threads are better. People have responded with problems they have with the uni-loc.

Nobody has offered any argument why the uni-loc or radial are better than vee threads;. I don't care what people buy. I do care that people buy into false claims by marketing machines like predator and mezz.
I will give you a tangible reason.

The threads on a radial pin are not as sharp as for instance a 3/8 10 modified pin with 60 degree threads and therefore makes them much tougher and harder to ding if you accidentally bang it into something and easier on your hands. You can actually cut your finger with the threads on a modified pin if you grab it wrong.

I still use 3/8 10 pins but have observed this difference.

DeeDeeCues

I will give you a tangible reason.

The threads on a radial pin are not as sharp as for instance a 3/8 10 modified pin with 60 degree threads and therefore makes them much tougher and harder to ding if you accidentally bang it into something and easier on your hands. You can actually cut your finger with the threads on a modified pin if you grab it wrong.

I still use 3/8 10 pins but have observed this difference.

That is a reason with thought behind it. Personally not enough to sway me, but it has validity.

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agree, mostly. I experimented with making my own resin and hollow carbon fiber pins. Had a couple of successes, which was cool. They weighed about as much as a penny, so it allowed me to lighten a couple of cues.

My first real success I used for several months without gluing it in. Cue went together fine, centered and everything. Once in a great while the pin would stay with the shaft.

I'll admit that I like the idea of a piloted shaft, but I don't think I've ever seen it done what is consider 'right'.
Always thought this was interesting.

It skid

Love Bill dearly for his ability and creativity - but when it came to "total recall" about who did what when, he frequently re-invented discussions and circumstances and embellished - simple as that . . . Sargent Friday had it right "Please, just the facts madam."
Did the "total recall" happen after the Uniloc joints became more "famous"? This happens with many people and in many industries. The "Hey I did that first" syndrome :love::ROFLMAO:

IMO, the popularity of the Uniloc QR and Radial joints went up as the popularity of Predator cues went up. I am guessing this is just going keep happening - Predator seems to be the best selling cue brand.

The Uniloc QR has one of the best fitting metal to metal pin joints I have tried, IMO.
Great job to Paul Costain and Gary Fumarola, and in the unpatented universe, whoever said "Hey I did that first":p

Thresh

I see this thread and I asked myself, who the hell cares? The time you spent worrying about who invented what joint, you could spend practicing and sucking less, or learning a new skill like how the stock market works, you know, something not completely useless....

DeeDeeCues

I see this thread and I asked myself, who the hell cares? The time you spent worrying about who invented what joint, you could spend practicing and sucking less, or learning a new skill like how the stock market works, you know, something not completely useless....

We're happy you found the time to post this in light of your busy schedule of not sucking.

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
learning a new skill like how the stock market works,
Popcorn.gif

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree. Engineers are generally ultra-anal types that fret over things that 99.99999 of the population doesn't give a thought to. Not that that's a bad thing 'cause somebody has to sweat the details. Yrs ago D. Kersenbrock was in Tulsa and i was the fly-on-the-wall in a conversation between him, Verl Horn and a couple other midwest builders. The looks on the faces of those guys while David was talking was priceless. I mean he was on a WHOLE different level. Amazing to me that approaches to cuemaking could be so different. Verl was the down-home old school machinist and DK was like a NASA engineer. Wish i'd kept my ivory-loaded Horn. Thing would be worth a stack these days.

DeeDeeCues

I agree. Engineers are generally ultra-anal types that fret over things that 99.99999 of the population doesn't give a thought to. Not that that's a bad thing 'cause somebody has to sweat the details. Yrs ago D. Kersenbrock was in Tulsa and i was the fly-on-the-wall in a conversation between him, Verl Horn and a couple other midwest builders. The looks on the faces of those guys while David was talking was priceless. I mean he was on a WHOLE different level. Amazing to me that approaches to cuemaking could be so different. Verl was the down-home old school machinist and DK was like a NASA engineer. Wish i'd kept my ivory-loaded Horn. Thing would be worth a stack these days.

Engineers are not generally 'ultra anal'. We actually tend to be rather scattered and disorganized. We love details and minutia. Our lives are spent anticipating problems, analyzing failures, fixing flaws, and teaching others from those lessons.

We also don't all look at our shoes when we talk. We aren't all nerds who like comics and video games. Most of the engineers I have worked with are very athletic and active people who can also rebuild your engine or recode your CNC.

It skid

Well, stop going to Vegas!