Unilock insert failure

lockwood

lockwood
Silver Member
Hi,
I have a shaft where the Unilock quick release insert has lifted out about 1/4 of an inch and the shaft will not tighten up when attaching the butt. I goes in, but keeps turning. Another shaft works fine. Can I just take a pair of pliers and unscrew it and re-glue it? Ideas?
Thank you in advance.
Jonathan Smith
Society Billiards

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi,
I have a shaft where the Unilock quick release insert has lifted out about 1/4 of an inch and the shaft will not tighten up when attaching the butt. I goes in, but keeps turning. Another shaft works fine. Can I just take a pair of pliers and unscrew it and re-glue it? Ideas?
Thank you in advance.
Jonathan Smith
Society Billiards
You could if the threads in the shaft are not stripped.
Or just plug it and start fresh and use GOOD epoxy and tight tolerances. Short fine threads on the insert for a short distance are not as strong as some would think. Weak glue and constant tightening causes suck out.

Attachments

• IMG_011120_142614.jpg
    IMG_011120_142614.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 87

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
Pliers are a bad idea, it will be tough not to do damage. The threads are obviously stripped and need to be replaced. This is a job for a pro!

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pliers are a bad idea, it will be tough not to do damage. The threads are obviously stripped and need to be replaced. This is a job for a pro!
It's a shame these pliers aren't produced anymore.

Attachments

• IMG_251122_010721.jpg
    IMG_251122_010721.jpg
    445.7 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_251122_010837.jpg
    IMG_251122_010837.jpg
    427.4 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_251122_010959.jpg
    IMG_251122_010959.jpg
    533.5 KB · Views: 109

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've posted this before but my 13 year old Lucasi unilock has never given me any trouble at all.
I do clean the insert and threads with alcohol once in awhile.

lockwood

lockwood
Silver Member
You could if the threads in the shaft are not stripped.
Or just plug it and start fresh and use GOOD epoxy and tight tolerances. Short fine threads on the insert for a short distance are not as strong as some would think. Weak glue and constant tightening causes suck out.
Thank you Mike