Unknown "monster" players

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You named some great players....but !!!!

Eric Wynne said:
Anybody ever hear of Curtis Payne, or KGB , Tall Paul ,Gilbert Martinez,David Hensen, Super Mex , Little Hand , Hippie Dave ,Little Miami , Black Danny -(best dressed one pocket player in history), Squirrel ,James Christopher,Joe Bolman,Richie Ambrose, Steve Gumphreys,Edgar White, Sonny Glen, and if I sit here long enough I could pick my failing memory for even more ... the best player isn't the person who plays the best , it's whoever wins the most money ...

Sir, you need to read the original thread from its beginning. We are looking for "unknown" monsters, not common household names in the pool world. You must be my age ????

Dick

Pinocchio

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
????????????

What about Cincinatti Clem? I know he had a short career but he played all games an ducked no one, smoothest stroke I've ever seen..........
Pinocchio

Southpaw

Swing away, Meril....
Silver Member
DoubleA said:
If it's same Randy Burris that I'm familiar with, he plays in the Smoky Mtn. Shootout about every yr. He wasn,t there this yr., at least not as a player. You're right, he is a pretty strong player. Maybe he was like a lot of others and just didn't get his entry in early enough.

Thats him. I have seen Randy shoot down some strong players gambling. He busted Doug Young on a bar table a couple of years ago playing even. It wasnt even close. And, he plays jam up one pocket too.

Southpaw

DoubleA

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
obrien714 said:
What a read. Some names were familiar others i have never heard of. I am originally from the Pittsburgh PA area. There were a few great players from our little town. One of them won the BCA single in 91 or 92. Little Mikey, the Dwarf, Mike McClain. From the stories i heard he traveled alot down south and made many large scores. Another of our towns greats is a great guy named Jerry Elliot. He never played any large tourneys. He traveled to Pittsburgh and Morgantown Wv, were his stomping ground. He would grind it out with anyone. He played all games well but one pocket was his masterpiece. A road player from indiana comes into the bar where we all hung out. He talked a nobody into a set for 500. He wiped our guy up. Jerry walks through the door and asks the Indiana guy what he thinks hes doin hustlin the young kids. I hear your lookin for me. They hook up for 10 ahead for 2k . They grind it out for 4 hours and jerry puts together a strong 30 minutes and finishes him. They play again and he snapped him off in less than an hour. I dont remember the road players name. I always tried to get Jerry to go to tourneys and he was happy in his little realm of our area.

Anyone ever hear of them.

A few other names from the area were Ernie the Jeweler, Stevie, from dormont. Slivka came up when he was young there

Any one else out there from SW PENNSYLVANIA. I know some one has to know some names from there.

Cheers
PAt
I definately remember Pittsburg Mike (as he was called on his swings through Tenn.) A very strong shortstop

obrien714

Pool Video Addict
Silver Member
Double A

Thats cool some one remembers him. Last time i was back home PITTSBURGH MIKE hung up the cue and had a job with FEDEX. He was unreal. I turned 21 just as Mikey broke into the scene. The story goes he couldnt make 2 balls in a row. He would hang out at the weekly tourneys and anytime a game was over, he would scamper to the table and pocket the remaining balls. His game got better then they say he dissappeared to texas and came back a monster. HE would destroy all the locals that used to beat up on him. He stands in at maybe 5'2. We would hang out and he would give up rediculous spots. Hed play with a broom. A broom with no chalk. He had all the gimmicks, one handed, one handed using no rails for support. The best move of his. The guy was short. He would take his sock off and play with his foot on the table and stroke through his toes. HE ws a super nice guy also.

come on any other PITTSBURGH PEOPLE OUT THERE.

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did you know ?

billiardcue said:
Jerry Brock ~ Tommy Rocco ~ Mike Painter

I don't recognize Tommy Rocco, but I do know Jerry Brock was a top notch player until he had do do some time. Mike Painter, AKA "Pittsburgh Mike" was actually from Pittsburgh, Kansas. (correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think I am.)

Dick

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
DoubleA said:
Where is Mike Painter today? He is definantly a barbox "monster".:eek:

The only Painter I know lives in Virginia. Kind of a burly, husky fellow with a Southern accent.

He told me that, in fact, he really is a painter. I hear the others refer to him as "Mike the Painter." I don't know if this is the same guy, though.

Likes the bar box. Was at SBE in Valley Forge earlier this year, too! :)

JAM

obrien714

Pool Video Addict
Silver Member
Pittsburgh Mike

He was from PITTSBURGH PA, actually a little town 50 miles south. Never heard him called the PAinter.

DoubleA

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SJDinPHX said:
I don't recognize Tommy Rocco, but I do know Jerry Brock was a top notch player until he had do do some time. Mike Painter, AKA "Pittsburgh Mike" was actually from Pittsburgh, Kansas. (correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think I am.)

Dick
Pittsburg mike is Mike McLain,he and Mike painter are two different persons. Mike Painter, if I remember correctly, is from Va. "Pittsburg" Mike is very short in stature. Mike Painter is not very small in stature at all.

jongreve

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There was a "Pittsburg Mike"
(Pittsburg, Kansas, no "h")
But I have already referenced him once on this thread as Mike Waltrip
also goes by Wally

Hasn't really played much in the last 10 years or so.

Used to play with Buddy Hall, Ronnie Allen, and the like
Loves one-pocket

Another few from this area that may have or may not have qualified as "monsters" are...
Marty Caylor (is in the player finder)
Ronnie Oxford (onry as hell)
Jared Easton (younger, still plays well)
Bob Smalley (also already mentioned)

It is possible that I don't know what I'm talking about, I've just never been good enough to play with this group

Last edited:

huckster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
obrien714 said:
What a read. Some names were familiar others i have never heard of. I am originally from the Pittsburgh PA area. There were a few great players from our little town. One of them won the BCA single in 91 or 92. Little Mikey, the Dwarf, Mike McClain. From the stories i heard he traveled alot down south and made many large scores. Another of our towns greats is a great guy named Jerry Elliot. He never played any large tourneys. He traveled to Pittsburgh and Morgantown Wv, were his stomping ground. He would grind it out with anyone. He played all games well but one pocket was his masterpiece. A road player from indiana comes into the bar where we all hung out. He talked a nobody into a set for 500. He wiped our guy up. Jerry walks through the door and asks the Indiana guy what he thinks hes doin hustlin the young kids. I hear your lookin for me. They hook up for 10 ahead for 2k . They grind it out for 4 hours and jerry puts together a strong 30 minutes and finishes him. They play again and he snapped him off in less than an hour. I dont remember the road players name. I always tried to get Jerry to go to tourneys and he was happy in his little realm of our area.

Anyone ever hear of them.

A few other names from the area were Ernie the Jeweler, Stevie, from dormont. Slivka came up when he was young there

Any one else out there from SW PENNSYLVANIA. I know some one has to know some names from there.

Cheers
PAt

Ernie "the Jeweler" Lorelli was one of my first big scores

The Rich Inc

I am Teh Lorax!!!
Silver Member
I saw Tommy Sanders about a year ago at Corner Pocket in Beaumont Texas. I was there playing with my Father and him and Tommy started talking about old times. Funny stories

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SJDinPHX said:

Dick

Tom Ruocco likely. A good straight pool player who was allegedly quite well off though you wouldnt know it. Last i heard he was in Vegas.

Karl Sloesen from NNJ is quite the player as well- Saw him run a 208 maybe 3 years ago, missing on a skid. Wasnt a bucket either.