UPS Tracking Numbers

DMM4342

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do not have occasion to use UPS often, but when I do, it’s usually as a receiver, not a shipper.
BILLIARDS in Portland, Oregon is shipping a package to me in Maryland. On Friday, on my account at BILLIARDS, I noticed the package was in the hands of UPS (or so it seemed) with a Tracking Number (TN). When I clicked on the TN, I was routed to UPS and I got
“UPS could not locate the shipment…”

That was on Friday. Can anyone explain what happens when UPS gives a TN but does not know where the package is? It just seems poor business relations to tell a customer “I don’t know where your package is.” Does UPS hand a bunch of shipping papers all with their own TNs to shippers and wait until the shipper calls UPS for a pick-up of boxes to be shipped?
What is happening?
Dave
PS It's Sunday morning here at almost 6 AM.

DCS_SF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The company probably printed your UPS ticket and has the tracking number but UPS has yet to pick it up. UPS provides the software to do this. My guess is you will see it update on Monday when UPS actually picks up the package.

DMM4342

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The company probably printed your UsPS ticket and has the tracking number but UPS has yet to pick it up. UPS provides the software to do this. My guess is you will see it update on Monday when UPS actually picks up the package.
What you said make perfect sense.

Confusion could be avoided if UPS had said,

"That Tracking Number is in the hands of a merchandizer who has not yet turned over the package and it's Tracking Number to UPS. Most likely, if you have received this TN from a merchandiser, he has packaged your goods and is waiting for the UPS driver. Not until UPS gets the papers will we be able to track the package."

But OH, NO, that is not the way it's done.
I appreciate you fast and concise answer.
I know that when I am waiting for a package, I am in a state of great anticipation and I tend not to think things through!:eek:
Thanks again,
Dave

Last edited:
Can anyone explain what happens when UPS gives a TN but does not know where the package is? It just seems poor business relations to tell a customer “I don’t know where your package is.”
What is happening?
Dave

monkey-on-computer.jpg

I had a similar experience with them just yesterday...

Last edited:

DMM4342

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Has the UPS gotten more like the USPS in the last ten years? I hear more dissatisfaction with UPS in the last Christmas Holidays then I have in seasons past. I am lucky to have a great USPS "Mail-Person".:wink:
He is good, but I do get some of my neighbor's mail about once a month. It just makes me nervous when that happens because I start to wonder if my mail is ending up in my neighbor's mailbox. And from there …
Dave

SPetty

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My recent was FedEx. I'm in Texas. The package "originated" in Tennessee, shipped from Mississippi, travelled through Amarillo, Texas to Phoenix, Arizona, then back to Texas for delivery.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

"That Tracking Number is in the hands of a merchandizer who has not yet turned over the package and it's Tracking Number to UPS. Most likely, if you have received this TN from a merchandiser, he has packaged your goods and is waiting for the UPS driver. Not until UPS gets the papers will we be able to track the package."

I know that when I am waiting for a package, I am in a state of great anticipation and I tend not to think things through!:eek:
Thanks again,
Dave

They do tell you that, but you have to click on a link to read it.

There is more than one reason that the notification would come up so this isn;t the only reason, it is only the most likely reason.

UPS would not state it the way you do, of course, since the way you state it clearly says that there is a package. At this point UPS only knows there is a tracking number. No package exists in their system. Their message says a package has not been picked up. They don't tell you" it's in the hands of the merchandiser".

Anyway, there is a link (don't remember where), that explains it. Why does it not come up immediately saying what you want it to say? Think about it. It can't. Not possible unless it was a made up fairy-tale.

DCS_SF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks again,
Dave
All UPS knows is that someone gave you a tracking number, or you correctly guessed one. They have no idea what that person did with a package, or even if a package exists. The merchandiser could have printed a ticket, given you a number, and thrown the package in the garbage or anywhere else that wasn't the place UPS picks it up.

Legally (and logically) they don't want to tell you the whereabouts of that package until one of their drivers scans that number, and they have it physically in their possession. The driver does this when he picks it up, and it goes almost immediately into their system and online where you can see it.

Has the UPS gotten more like the USPS in the last ten years? I hear more dissatisfaction with UPS in the last Christmas Holidays then I have in seasons past. I am lucky to have a great USPS "Mail-Person".:wink:
He is good, but I do get some of my neighbor's mail about once a month. It just makes me nervous when that happens because I start to wonder if my mail is ending up in my neighbor's mailbox. And from there …
Dave
No, UPS is still by far the most reliable shipping company for me. If I have a choice I usually pick them. In instances where I don't have a choice, like Amazon, I am always relived when I get one of their tracking numbers.

It seems to me like you are really stretching in order to be upset with them right now.

Last edited:
All UPS knows is that someone gave you a tracking number, or you correctly guessed one. They have no idea what that person did with a package, or even if a package exists. The merchandiser could have printed a ticket, given you a number, and thrown the package in the garbage or anywhere else that wasn't the place UPS picks it up.

Legally (and logically) they don't want to tell you the whereabouts of that package until one of their drivers scans that number, and they have it physically in their possession. The driver does this when he picks it up, and it goes almost immediately into their system and online where you can see it.

No, UPS is still by far the most reliable shipping company for me. If I have a choice I usually pick them. In instances where I don't have a choice, like Amazon, I am always relived when I get one of their tracking numbers.

It seems to me like you are really stretching in order to be upset with them right now.

LOL...yesterday nobody at the UPS pick up location that I was notified my package was at knew where it was. The only reason I got my new cue instead of running around on Monday is because I chased the Van down in the street on my way home from the pick up location. They attempted delivery to my condo AFTER I selected the "Do not attempt delivery" option on their website.

Last edited:

DCS_SF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
LOL...yesterday nobody at the UPS pick up location that I was notified my package was at knew where it was. The only reason I got my new cue instead of running around on Monday is because I chased the Van down in the street on my way home from the pick up location. They attempted delivery to my condo AFTER I selected the "Do not attempt delivery" option on their website.

Did you do that after it was on the truck to be delivered? I mean I'm not saying they are miracle workers but in my experience they have been the most consistent delivery company. YMMV.

Did you do that after it was on the truck to be delivered? I mean I'm not saying they are miracle workers but in my experience they have been the most consistent delivery company. YMMV.

I don't know...if it was on the truck then the option should not be available as apparently the drivers, pick up locations, and customer service have no means of communication once the package is enroute.

DCS_SF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know...if it was on the truck then the option should not be available as apparently the drivers, pick up locations, and customer service have no means of communication once the package is enroute.

Once it is on the truck you can't change anything. That usually happens very early in the am.They would attempt delivery and see your change when it was scheduled to go out for a retry. Then it would sit at ups untill you pick it up.

The option is there so you have control over the second attempt or of you get it while it is enroute but before it goes on a delivery truck.

I just know from experience in trying to reroute packages. It's pretty much the same with all of them.

Once it is on the truck you can't change anything. That usually happens very early in the am.They would attempt delivery and see your change when it was scheduled to go out for a retry. Then it would sit at ups untill you pick it up.

The option is there so you have control over the second attempt or of you get it while it is enroute but before it goes on a delivery truck.

I just know from experience in trying to reroute packages. It's pretty much the same with all of them.

I hear ya...but I made the request on Jan.19 and it was delivered on Jan.20...but I got my package in the end so it's all good.

DMM4342

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you for your help. Some of my assumptions were incorrect.
I did get an email from BILLIARDS.com, the sender, on Friday saying that my package had been sent. It was not until today, Tuesday, Jan 24th, that there was any information on the UPS site about the shipment.
Here it is below.

Location Date Local Time Activity
Portland, OR, United States 01/24/2017 2:45 A.M. Departure Scan
Portland, OR, United States 01/23/2017 10:06 P.M. Origin Scan

Thanks again for the splendid information that you gave me.:grin:

Dave

Last edited: