US OPEN coverage

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A couple observations from the tourney so far...

Matchroom's production is top notch. From the camera work to the commentators, to the player interviews, it just feels like a big, professional event. Tip of the hat to those folks.

Pro pool may have a 9 ball problem. From what I understand, 9 ball was chosen for the speed of play...more TV friendly. Now, I have loved every minute of this tourney. However, I made my daughter and her boyfriend (both high school seniors) sit down and watch 30 minutes or so of the svb-yapp match. Neither of them are pool players or fans, but Ibthought maybe it would be like how even non fans tune in to the super bowl because it is such a big event.

After about 4 racks, the boyfriend comments that it was pointless since it seemed that if you make a ball on the break, you win the rack. I tried to explain about some of the finer intricacies and skill, and his comment was that yapp was up 5 racks and hadn't had to shoot a shot over 3 feet long. My daughter then chimed in with nobody would want to watch football if only one team got to play offense...

It got me to thinking...here I am riveted to the TV, enjoying every shot, and here are 2 casuals, the type who pool needs to bring in, and they are bored to tears.

Maybe it's the game, maybe it's the winner breaks, maybe pool is destined to remain a niche sport that only we lucky few truly love. I don't know the answer, but it is worth a thought...

Pool is a very tough sell to the casual viewer on their first viewing...I suspect many gravitated to pool watching something a bit more engaging such as the Mosconi Cup and stuck around from there.

It's also very difficult for people who aren't really into the game to appreciate the nuance of why its difficult (as pool to most people is 8-ball played on tables with huge pockets, so its understandable why the casual fan doesn't appreciate the skill involved at the top level).

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does it take a European coach for the USA MOSCONI team to win ?

JJ is probably an excellent coach and at this point the captains probably have little effect on the outcome. but i'm not sure he always picks the best team. i hope josh roberts gets a shot at it this year.

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
Pro pool may have a 9 ball problem. From what I understand, 9 ball was chosen for the speed of play...more TV friendly. [...]

Maybe it's the game, maybe it's the winner breaks, maybe pool is destined to remain a niche sport that only we lucky few truly love. I don't know the answer, but it is worth a thought...
This is golden. Great observations! Yes, 9-ball is a problem (because no other games are going to get proper attention/development ). Winner breaks is a problem, for the reason you mentioned and for another obvious reason a match might end with a losing player not getting a single chance (and who knows, he might have been even better than the guy who just ran a set on him).

8-Ball, the way it was played on IPT in terms of the equipment and format, was great. Add some extras there like Appleton did with his 8-ball events, and here you get a real game for the pros, exciting to watch and follow,