Using bowlliards to track progress?

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This sounds easy, just like 14.1 sounds easy lol. I’ve learned my lesson there long since. I shall enter into it in serious mode.

As a side note, I didn’t have the slightest clue how to score a game of bowling. Just looked it up. I knew 300 was the max and I was pretty sure there was ten rounds. I thought a strike just got you 30 pts.

I used to rack 15 and run until I missed (not counting the break) and I’ve gotten over a hundo that way, so it’s possible to get a 300 for me i think. A lil easier with only 10 at a time maybe but maybe not too. More congestion but less options and breakout opportunities. And 100 was not my normal number 😂 that was my crowning achievement.

We shall see. I will guess 150 for tonight since I really haven’t internalized the scoring and what a single miss or two will do

Looking forward to your results.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
This is stressful as hell 😂😂

I’m writing it all down cuz I’m still not sure of the scoring but I started out well and you can see the pressure starting to affect. I’m on a smoke break lol.

Alright the full tally. Playing on a 9’ rasson 4.5”

Bowlliards

Strike
Strike
Strike
Strike - bank for the money b
Shit - made 6, miscue w/bridge, ran out
Made 6, dogged an easy, ran out
Strike
Made 1, missed, missed again with 3 left
Ran 9, missed, ran 1 ;)
Strike

I’m sure I beat my 150 goal but I can see how it’ll be hard as hell to keep a high average. I rattle 2 balls that made me catch my breath.

The break is definitely important. I found a good speed that gives me 2 side pocket balls for easily changing areas. Almost every miss was from trying to deal with trouble balls from the break. Except that easy half ball hit from 3’ away I missed hehe

Last edited:

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is stressful as hell 😂😂

I’m writing it all down cuz I’m still not sure of the scoring but I started out well and you can see the pressure starting to affect. I’m on a smoke break lol.

Alright the full tally. Playing on a 9’ rasson 4.5”

Bowlliards

Strike
Strike
Strike
Strike - bank for the money b
Shit - made 6, miscue w/bridge, ran out
Made 6, dogged an easy, ran out
Strike
Made 1, missed, missed again with 3 left
Ran 9, missed, ran 1 ;)
Strike

I’m sure I beat my 150 goal but I can see how it’ll be hard as hell to keep a high average. I rattle 2 balls that made me catch my breath.

The break is definitely important. I found a good speed that gives me 2 side pocket balls for easily changing areas. Almost every miss was from trying to deal with trouble balls from the break. Except that easy half ball hit from 3’ away I missed hehe

You left an open frame in the 10th, that last spare allowed for the final frame.

As is - you got 205.

Curious what your FR is, if you're willing to post it.

1649717597067.png

Rickhem

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just finished. Had a 110, and it felt sloppy. Scratched on the break twice, and got too wrapped up trying to break out clusters and missed the shot a few times.
I think I like this. It give an actual metric to track and build upon. I’ll definitely try this again and again.
It’s not an excuse, but I rushed. Had about 40 min to give it a go, so I played quickly. I’ve found those times when I am more meticulous and follow my PSR, I shoot better. (Another lesson relearned)

dquarasr

Registered
Scoring bowling is easy. It is literally this simple:

You throw a ball towards 10 pins. Get them all, it’s a strike. Leave some, you get a second roll. Make the remainder, it’s a spare. Leave any, and whatever you knocked down in that frame is your score for that frame. Spare or strike? You need the next frame.

For a strike, you get 10 plus whatever you get on your next TWO rolls. For a spare, you get 10 plus your next ONE roll. That’s it. This covers every situation including the 10th frame where you get a maximum of 3 rolls if you get a strike or a spare.

I played today. Started with a spare in the first frame but f’d it up with a 1 opening the second frame. Then followed with a 1 in the second inning of the second frame. Truly the $h!+.

Got my first strike since playing bowlliards in the eighth frame. Then got ZERO in the first inning of the ninth. ALMOST recovered, making 9 but missing the spare, rattling the money ball in the ninth.

Today should have been a new high score in the 120s but geez, I screwed up in a few untimely spots. But I’m learning when to take risks, when not to, and how to handle pressure shots. Very good game for practice. Every miss I was able to figure out why (universally a focus drift), recognizing EXACTLY why I screw up racks in league. Simulates competition quite nicely, teaches discipline and need for focus, all while being FUN and providing a good yardstick on progress.

MurrayNevada

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I'm liking this game after playing it today. I'll like it better tomorrow after just learning that it is BIH after the break. I frequently left the cue call in poor position after the break when I was playing earlier. That cannot happen again tomorrow with BIH.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
You left an open frame in the 10th, that last spare allowed for the final frame.

As is - you got 205.

Curious what your FR is, if you're willing to post it.

View attachment 637205
Thanks man I meant to try out the scoring when I got home but got caught up cooking.

I’m still confused though. I stopped after the tenth rack, but should I have shot one more rack or two? If the tenth rack was a strike

I don’t really have a Fargo. I’m in the system as like a 325 or something lol. I went two and out in a bar table tourney years ago and those ten racks are all that have been reported

I played in the APA for a session of 8 ball and went from a 4 to 6 in a couple weeks, I didn’t play the next session but of the two 7’s that were there I could tussle with one and probably come out ahead on a big table and I could smoke the other one, he was on my team and we played often.

Still doesn’t say much though because the scale above 7 is vast and those handicaps differ from place to place.

I signed up for a tap league last night between racks 8 & 9. So more competitive experience and maybe they report to Fargo idk. I’m curious where I fit in the world of pool bums.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks man I meant to try out the scoring when I got home but got caught up cooking.

I’m still confused though. I stopped after the tenth rack, but should I have shot one more rack or two? If the tenth rack was a strike

I don’t really have a Fargo. I’m in the system as like a 325 or something lol. I went two and out in a bar table tourney years ago and those ten racks are all that have been reported

I played in the APA for a session of 8 ball and went from a 4 to 6 in a couple weeks, I didn’t play the next session but of the two 7’s that were there I could tussle with one and probably come out ahead on a big table and I could smoke the other one, he was on my team and we played often.

Still doesn’t say much though because the scale above 7 is vast and those handicaps differ from place to place.

I signed up for a tap league last night between racks 8 & 9. So more competitive experience and maybe they report to Fargo idk. I’m curious where I fit in the world of pool bums.
Tenth frame you can potentially get 3 strikes.
I don't know a thing about bowling so I always used an app to keep track.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Yep, you have a chance to "roll" three times in the tenth. The first two are performed like normal and if you get a strike or spare in the second roll you get roll that third time, if the second roll ends in an open frame then you don't get that third roll.

Roger on the skill level and as you mentioned - once you get past a 7/9 in APA there's no telling what your rating is. For reference, I was a 7/9 in APA and about a 600-625 FargoRate when I hit my high of 257 so I would put you somewhere around that number.

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member

I’m curious where I fit in the world of pool bums.
It isn't nearly enough information to go on but based on all the various things you have reported and the video of you playing in the other thread I would estimate you will fall somewhere in the 530-570 range.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Ohhh I could beat that guy in the video, he don’t know wtf he’s doing!! Lol

That was 4/20 of 2019 - back when masks were for armed robbers.

I watched a 600 and under tourney once and felt like I could slip right in and no one would comment either way so your guesstimate seems legit.

Does anyone know if tap leagues report to Fargorate? I remember hearing the bca league did, or whatever the league is actually called.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't remember seeing it in the rules, but how is a scratch on the break treated? New high score last night, 166. I have been hurt a couple times by playing on a 7 footer, I believe. Instances where the balls spread nicely, hit a rail, and come back together in nasty clusters. This is with a pretty soft break. It seems as if this game will benefit 8 ball tremendously...thinking multiple shots ahead and planning your pattern, but also being flexible enough to adjust on the fly.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't remember seeing it in the rules, but how is a scratch on the break treated? New high score last night, 166. I have been hurt a couple times by playing on a 7 footer, I believe. Instances where the balls spread nicely, hit a rail, and come back together in nasty clusters. This is with a pretty soft break. It seems as if this game will benefit 8 ball tremendously...thinking multiple shots ahead and planning your pattern, but also being flexible enough to adjust on the fly.

Scratch is irrelevant, pull whitey and either play BIH or in the kitchen.

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've done this three times now - ~80 with mandatory BIH in kitchen with some groaner misses, ~140 with mandatory BIH in kitchen, and then 240 with BIH anywhere on the table. Huge advantage being able to take out clusters/blocked pockets right away.

It does take quite a long time to run through a game so I don't think this is going to be a mainstay of my solo play but it's fun to have in the back pocket.

Last edited:

cjr3559

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Got a 102 today, my high score since keeping records in January. Could have stretched the score a little further except for missing a relatively easy final ball spare in the 10th.

No strikes, but cashed in several spares.

Attachments

• 85A61404-C7EE-49D4-A33B-8A4B189E3CFF.png
    85A61404-C7EE-49D4-A33B-8A4B189E3CFF.png
    154.9 KB · Views: 47

cjr3559

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This game showcases my inconsistency. Interesting my average is still hovering around 70 through the peaks and valleys.

I really think getting a good spread break on the break is key; most frames start with 1-2 balls in the kitchen, a few more along the rails an/or clustered around the side pockets.

If anything this game is improving my straight table length shots.

Attachments

• 6A47CAFF-ACBD-4B86-B0B4-678A5C14FF49.jpeg
    6A47CAFF-ACBD-4B86-B0B4-678A5C14FF49.jpeg
    103.6 KB · Views: 43

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This game showcases my inconsistency. Interesting my average is still hovering around 70 through the peaks and valleys.

I really think getting a good spread break on the break is key; most frames start with 1-2 balls in the kitchen, a few more along the rails an/or clustered around the side pockets.

If anything this game is improving my straight table length shots.
I try and hit the break soft. Playing half table with no clusters, add ball in hand rules and it's like cheating.

dquarasr

Registered
Have you realized that Jayson Shaw’s 714 is (very) roughly equivalent to 59 300 Bowlliard games…..in a row?!? (Yes, I’m aware that breaking a 10-ball rack is not the same as breaking a 14.1 cluster.)

I wonder how many 300 games in a row JS could score……. No matter how you view it, that accomplishment is amazing…….

(And here I struggle to break 120.)

mrpiper

Registered
This has really helped me clarify my biggest problem in pool and life. I can't stay mentally in a state of concentration for longer than an average hummingbird. I seem to play best early in the day. By evening I really struggle to "keep my head in the game" when I can I can go mid 150's. More often I'm inthe 80 to 90 range. It's all about planning a few shots ahead. I just want to hit the shot in front of me then figure it out later. No patience...