Using bowlliards to track progress?

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've done this three times now - ~80 with mandatory BIH in kitchen with some groaner misses, ~140 with mandatory BIH in kitchen, and then 240 with BIH anywhere on the table. Huge advantage being able to take out clusters/blocked pockets right away.

It does take quite a long time to run through a game so I don't think this is going to be a mainstay of my solo play but it's fun to have in the back pocket.

Yep, BIH is a game changer. Without it you really have to focus on your break. I have stuck with BIH since the beginning for consistency. IF I ever hit 300 I will go to kitchen, IF I get a 300 with that I will go with leave it as is.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This game showcases my inconsistency. Interesting my average is still hovering around 70 through the peaks and valleys.

I really think getting a good spread break on the break is key; most frames start with 1-2 balls in the kitchen, a few more along the rails an/or clustered around the side pockets.

If anything this game is improving my straight table length shots.

Agreed on the inconsistency, for me it also emphasis how a miss can drastically affect the outcome - translate that to a match with a better player and it may help you focus a bit more.

Regarding the break, yep, it not only makes you realize it but it also makes you see it and deal with it when possible. With BIH you can deal with it early (usually) but without BIH you really start searching for tangent lines, natural shape, etc. to get that break out.

If you want to work on your long straight shots go practice the Mighty X:

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I try and hit the break soft. Playing half table with no clusters, add ball in hand rules and it's like cheating.

For no particular reason, I pound the shit out of the break. I have to admit, I don't make too many balls (1 in 4 or 5 racks?, not often) and I usually get a good spread. As mentioned a few times, I've stuck with BIH for consistency. I've been playing this since the late 80's/early 90's and my highs were in the 70's. IF I ever get a 300 with BIH I will change it up.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This has really helped me clarify my biggest problem in pool and life. I can't stay mentally in a state of concentration for longer than an average hummingbird. I seem to play best early in the day. By evening I really struggle to "keep my head in the game" when I can I can go mid 150's. More often I'm inthe 80 to 90 range. It's all about planning a few shots ahead. I just want to hit the shot in front of me then figure it out later. No patience...

It takes about 30-35 minutes for me to run through a full game if I'm just going through the motions. About 40-45 minutes if I'm trying. In the end, this game teaches you how much one miss will affect the end game and should help with that focus. If you're playing by yourself just take the time between shots to work on your pre-shot routine.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For no particular reason, I pound the shit out of the break. I have to admit, I don't make too many balls (1 in 4 or 5 racks?, not often) and I usually get a good spread. As mentioned a few times, I've stuck with BIH for consistency. I've been playing this since the late 80's/early 90's and my highs were in the 70's. IF I ever get a 300 with BIH I will change it up.
I found that when I pounded it I would end up with a few clusters and they would kill my runs.
I may have made it sound easier than it is. I'm pretty sure I've only run 300 2-3 times.

Only played it once in the last 5-6 years and that was BIH, my score was like 246 or something. There was a period there, where I played it all the time for practicing my pre shot routine. That's when I hit the 300s.

Saying it's like cheating with bih rules might have been a bit of an exaggeration. It helps practice consistency with racking and breaking the balls if you play without it.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I found that when I pounded it I would end up with a few clusters and they would kill my runs.
I may have made it sound easier than it is. I'm pretty sure I've only run 300 2-3 times.

Only played it once in the last 5-6 years and that was BIH, my score was like 246 or something. There was a period there, where I played it all the time for practicing my pre shot routine. That's when I hit the 300s.

Saying it's like cheating with bih rules might have been a bit of an exaggeration. It helps practice consistency with racking and breaking the balls if you play without it.

Oddly, clusters don't really seem to be an issue for me, not saying they don't happen but I can't remember a time when I thought - damn, I need to change something because of these clusters. But, I did start paying more attention to them. I've got a couple of people that come over and play and when they have a cluster and don't address it early and I ask about it they say "well, I was going to shoot this, then that, then the cluster". Clearly, that rarely works out for them. The importance (for those reading) is to get the cluster as SOON as you can. There are times when it's possible to save a little cluster until later due to ball layout, etc. but whenever possible - get that cluster taken care of early, if you can't control the CB to minute levels then you don't know what's going to happen when you break it out. When shooting clusters look for key balls after the break out AND don't bang clusters! That is the number one killer of runs, hit that cluster JUST hard enough to break it out and leave yourself on another ball. It's like bringing a boat to the dock - how fast should you go? How much damage are you willing to accept?

Balls on the rail are the same. Have a ball locked on a rail near a corner pocket with another OB blocking the close corner, get that blocking ball out of the way soon and get back to that rail shot off a shot that puts you perfect for the rail. Don't save the blocking ball until second to last so now you have to go 3 rails to get back on the rail ball and definitely don't play it long rail, across the side pocket, if you don't need to.

Honestly, at my peak (low 600's FR) I thought BIH was kind of cheating but then I just kept going back to my original thought process years ago - if I can't run a 300 with BIH then why should I change. From there it just became a consistency thing, every score I've ever recorded is with BIH, why change it?

And this game really did make it sink in that the difference between being on TV (e.g. being a pro) is all about consistency and the right decisions (decisions are more relevant to match play).

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oddly, clusters don't really seem to be an issue for me, not saying they don't happen but I can't remember a time when I thought - damn, I need to change something because of these clusters. But, I did start paying more attention to them. I've got a couple of people that come over and play and when they have a cluster and don't address it early and I ask about it they say "well, I was going to shoot this, then that, then the cluster". Clearly, that rarely works out for them. The importance (for those reading) is to get the cluster as SOON as you can. There are times when it's possible to save a little cluster until later due to ball layout, etc. but whenever possible - get that cluster taken care of early, if you can't control the CB to minute levels then you don't know what's going to happen when you break it out. When shooting clusters look for key balls after the break out AND don't bang clusters! That is the number one killer of runs, hit that cluster JUST hard enough to break it out and leave yourself on another ball. It's like bringing a boat to the dock - how fast should you go? How much damage are you willing to accept?

Balls on the rail are the same. Have a ball locked on a rail near a corner pocket with another OB blocking the close corner, get that blocking ball out of the way soon and get back to that rail shot off a shot that puts you perfect for the rail. Don't save the blocking ball until second to last so now you have to go 3 rails to get back on the rail ball and definitely don't play it long rail, across the side pocket, if you don't need to.

Honestly, at my peak (low 600's FR) I thought BIH was kind of cheating but then I just kept going back to my original thought process years ago - if I can't run a 300 with BIH then why should I change. From there it just became a consistency thing, every score I've ever recorded is with BIH, why change it?

And this game really did make it sink in that the difference between being on TV (e.g. being a pro) is all about consistency and the right decisions (decisions are more relevant to match play).
Excellent point on the clusters. Totally changed my 8 ball runout percentage. I mean drastically.

Crazy how I can watch pool and predict paths and patterns like a savant. Get me on the table and it goes from chess to checkers. What the pros do under pressure unreal.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Playing on a tight 9' Diamond with dirty cloth , I discovered a good break. Ball width off center and to the side I am beaking from about a 1/2 ball hit on the head ball. Center ball medium speed. Cueball goes to the long rail and back towards the center of the table.

I also discovered that I can't play straight pool for a hour first then try bowlards. I got thru the first 4 racks with a opening spare and then 3 strikes. Couldn't hold my concentration any longer then that. Quit after the next 2 open frames.

I did notice 30 minutes of drills 2 nights ago greatly improved my play tonight.

I never play ball in hand and anything made on the break gets spotted.