Valhalla or Players?

canadave

Bluenoser
Will do :) If you google "valhalla cue" and then click google's Images tab, there's a few ebay "real life" photos (I know what you mean, it's hard to tell what a cue really looks like from catalog photos).

Busboy

Wanna Play Some?
Silver Member
I used too have outlaw cue long time ago didn't like it too much but u might

poQet trainer

hahahahahahahahahahahahah
Silver Member
dont know either one, but I have an hxt shaft I got just to try it out, its really nice. hxt is players by the way. I dont know much of valhalla except that its from Viking, and they arent what they used to be.

Busboy

Wanna Play Some?
Silver Member
The out law just felt cheap and dead. If I was u I would have went with players but I hope u injoy ur new cue post some pics of it :thumbup::thumbup:

canadave

Bluenoser
Will post pics for sure once mine arrives. So the Outlaw felt cheap and dead only after hitting with it, I assume? Odd, because it really felt great in my hands. I guess I should've tried to hit with it in the store :(

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
dont know either one, but I have an hxt shaft I got just to try it out, its really nice. hxt is players by the way. I dont know much of valhalla except that its from Viking, and they arent what they used to be.

the Vahalla cues are made in China for Viking, not made by Viking.

Busboy

Wanna Play Some?
Silver Member
Will post pics for sure once mine arrives. So the Outlaw felt cheap and dead only after hitting with it, I assume? Odd, because it really felt great in my hands. I guess I should've tried to hit with it in the store :(

Yea too me but u may like them its what u like not others some guys really like what others don't never know till u try anyway hope u like ur new cue :thumbup::thumbup:

PaulieB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That players that you linked with the HXT LD shaft and a kamui tip seems like a steal to me for under 100. Does the Valhalla you bought come with an LD shaft? Does it come with a decent tip? Feel matters a ton, so that is probably the best deciding factor, but if you are concerned about value, that LD shaft and Kamui tip is worth the 100 bucks by themselves.

canadave

Bluenoser
Get ur new cue yet :thumbup:

Not yet, but looks like I'll get it tomorrow (Monday) or Tuesday at latest :) I may get a chance to hit with it immediately...I'll post review and pics when I do.

@ PaulieB: Yeah, you know, I was really torn between this Valhalla and the PureX cue. In fact, I'm still torn, and of half a mind to return the Valhalla cue and get the PureX cue (or maybe get both, and return the one I don't like after hitting once with each! I'd do that in a heartbeat, if shipping it back to Amazon from Canada wasn't likely to be so expensive).

I guess I kind of figured that I could always get a better shaft/tip and mate it with the Valhalla butt end, right?

AlexandruM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played with a Players HXT99 cue, it's a decent cue, but nothing amazing. It has only a LD ferrule, I think it's more marketing.
IMHO in that price range 60-100 all cues had similar performances, the differences are only personal perceptions.

Busboy

Wanna Play Some?
Silver Member
I played with a Players HXT99 cue, it's a decent cue, but nothing amazing. It has only a LD ferrule, I think it's more marketing.
IMHO in that price range 60-100 all cues had similar performances, the differences are only personal perceptions.

Its no lambros but for the money u can't beat it :thumbup:

canadave

Bluenoser
Sorry for the late check-in and review....I've been very busy with other pressing projects.

The Valhalla VAL-004 cue did indeed arrive, and I've had a chance to play with it a couple of times. So far....not too impressed. It's a slight improvement over my current ebay stick. The fit and finish is fine. What's most disappointing is that the balance and hit is not, repeat not, the same as my buddy's VAL-010, which is contrary to what a Valhalla/Viking rep told me pre-sale when I asked specifically if there were any non-cosmetic differences between Valhalla cues. In addition, I bought the 19 ounce cue rather than the 18 ounce cue because, although I suspected I'd prefer the 18 ounce cue, the rep told me that I could simply remove a weight bolt in the 19 ounce cue, and he was trying to save me money instead of me having to ADD a weight bolt in an 18 ounce cue, if I ever wanted to go up to 19 ounces. Well, I went to remove the weight bolt and try 18 ounces, and....I must be missing something here. Because the weight bolt is not apparent. I can see a threaded section where a weight bolt should be, and there appears to be the metal edges of some kind of something down inside the cue, but it's hollow, and there appears to be some kind of hardened glue where the bolt head would normally be. I'll try to get pics up within the next few days.

The tip is nothing to write home about either. I don't know what kind it is; all Valhalla says is it's a "Premium Leather" tip, and they don't seem particularly eager to say what brand it is. I'm not a fan of the hit; it feels slightly tinny and vibrate-y to me. Not like the thing is shaking in my hands when hitting it, or anything like that--just slightly dulled.

All in all, I'm regretting not trying that PureX cue with the Kamui tip, or even that Outlaw cue that I actually handled and felt great in my hands. I may return this Valhalla cue, swallow the shipping costs to send it back to Amazon, and get either of the others. It's too bad, because I actually swapped cues with my buddy the other day when playing, and his VAL-010 definitely felt better. I suppose I could get a VAL-010 (or maybe even the VAL-009, which looks identical except for the colouring....I think I'd at least be safe that way!), but I'm coming round to the idea that it's better to have known quantities in one's hand when playing. I know the reputation of a Kamui tip, it's a known thing....I'm not so keen anymore on just hitting with something called a "Premium Leather" tip, origin and lineage unknown :)

One thing that might help firm up my next steps here--for those with the Players HXT shafts, is there a difference in the "feel" of a hit with those shafts as opposed to normal cues? I've never hit with any kind of LD shaft, and I'm just worried it'll sound/feel "hollow" or something like that. I prefer a nice, snappy, solid contact feel when hitting the cue ball.

Solomon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Canadave, I've been seriously playing competitive pool for more than 20 years and I've played with a multiple cues at various price points and my personal favorite are Players cues. I've found that all the Players cues I've played with to be consistent in balance and feel. I personally think that Players are the best value on the market. I currently have 5 Players cues that I regularly play with (3 regular Players and 2 HXT low deflection cues). I can't say that I notice a big (or any) difference between the regular and LD cues, which is perfectly fine with me.

I'm sorry to hear that you aren't completely satisfied with your recent purchase. In your price range, I would suggest that you take a look at Rage cues as well. I have a few Rage cues and although I don't like them as much as Players, they are inexpensive cues that are superior to department store brand cues.

Busboy

Wanna Play Some?
Silver Member
I knew u wouldn't like that cue much that's why I was trying too get u too buy players but u live and learn just send that bad boy back and get players :thumbup:

canadave

Bluenoser
OK, OK, you guys have finally convinced me. I'm returning the Valhalla and just ordered that PureX with HXT4 and Kamui Black tip :)