Veghel World Cup - statistical improbabilities

albatross

cynical squared
Silver Member
Some remarkable statistical data from tournament held from Oct. 23-29, 2022.
The following happened in 40 point matches:
World #1 Dick Jaspers lost 40-18 to Choong Bok Lee, who came into the tournament ranked #23 in the world.
Nikos Polichronopoulos ran a 16 and lost by 13 points.
Martin Horn ran a 16 and a 10 in one game and lost.
The following happened in one of the 50-point semi-finals:
Dani Sanchez was leading Torbjorn Blomdahl 25-18 at the “time-out”. Blomdahl won the match 50-26. That is not a typo.

Grid Results to come in another thread.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Indeed! It was a great event and I was wondering if anybody else amazing bee most paying attention to it.

I have another statistic and I can't provide proof of it:
Sayginer/ Blomdahl match vid posted to y-tube had 17k views when I first saw it...just hours s after it was posted.

And Blomdahl had a birthday there too.

#Cruncher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Black
World #1 Dick Jaspers lost 40-18 to Choong Bok Lee, who came into the tournament ranked #23 in the world.
Dani Sanchez was leading Torbjorn Blomdahl 25-18 at the “time-out”. Blomdahl won the match 50-26. That is not a typo.

Thanks for the stats! Do you know how many innings Jaspers loss was (40-18)?

Bert van Manen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

If you like these, here are a few more (you may have seen them before). Jaspers played Caudron in the Agipi invitational, had a 44-7 lead and LOST 47-50. Zanetti played Sayginer in the Crystal Kelly event, trailed 1-27 and WON 50-33. Caudron ran 28 (world record) against Zanetti in the European championship of 2013, and LOST 37-40 in 11/12. Here's my best story: my club mate, a 0.300 player, lost a race to 17. It took 81 (eighty-one) innings and the score was 17-9. He did still have the equalizing inning though. And ran 8.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you like these, here are a few more (you may have seen them before). Jaspers played Caudron in the Agipi invitational, had a 44-7 lead and LOST 47-50. Zanetti played Sayginer in the Crystal Kelly event, trailed 1-27 and WON 50-33. Caudron ran 28 (world record) against Zanetti in the European championship of 2013, and LOST 37-40 in 11/12. Here's my best story: my club mate, a 0.300 player, lost a race to 17. It took 81 (eighty-one) innings and the score was 17-9. He did still have the equalizing inning though. And ran 8.
That's a lot of WOW in there!