Very good B player or solid A?

the Professor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
this is from a post of mine on a similar subject
came from link to dr daves stuff from bob jewett
the rating system i like is this

from phil capelle
Here's an alternative and more-detailed interpretation of the A-D scale from Capelle's "Play Your Best Pool" (p.386):

D: A beginner or someone who plays so infrequently that their game remains in the beginner category.

C-: A below average player - this denotes a player with some recognizable skills who has definitely risen from the ranks of beginners. This is the first major milestone.

C: An average player - describes a large section of pool enthusiasts with experience whose games perhaps have leveled off, or that only play occasionally.

C+: Above average player - this group plays a very acceptable game of pool. They tend to dominate their level of competition.

B-: This is perhaps the biggest hurdle, as a good number of players peak at the C+ level. A B- is a good player who is quite capable of running a rack of Eight Ball or Nine Ball. However, they usually lack consistency.

B: A solid, advanced player - these players can run out fairly regularly, but lack a little consistency.

B+: Players at this level are often mistaken for lower level A players when they are playing well because they play a very tough, well-rounded game. They can run out from nearly anywhere at anytime.

A-: Another big jump is required to break through to the "A" level. This group of players could be classified as semi-pros or top amateurs. They are very skilled in nearly all facets of the game. They run out easily and very often.

A: A professional quality player who can compete with and occasionally beat all but the best players. Very skilled, solid, and consistent. Runs multiple racks quite often. Tough to beat.

A+: Touring Pro - the best. Skilled in every area of the game. Breaks and runs out multiple racks regularly. Definitely in a class by themselves.

So using this rating system…. where would you put a player like… Shane McMinn or Danny Smith (Playing 9/10 ball)?

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
So using this rating system…. where would you put a player like… Shane McMinn or Danny Smith (Playing 9/10 ball)?
i dont know shane mcminn
i have never seen danny play rotation games only banks and one pocket
from that i would say he is a touring pro level because i think he can more than OCCASIONALLY beat the best

LIAKOS27

NOT banned (yet)
Silver Member
I am comparing your friend's ability to the A-speeds I know locally.

From an offensive standpoint, i would say yeah, he sounds solid A from how you describe him. BUT

You don't tell us how well he plays other games , or how his defensive ability is.
(I am in agreement with Iusedtoberich here)

A good solid "A" should be able to kick safeties as well. How is his 8-ball game on a Diamond 7 footer ? His straight pool game? 1-pocket? :shrug:

This is what I was trying to explain to him! He can't touch me in 1-pocket or straight pool! I've given him 10-7 and 30 to 100 and he struggles!

I tried telling him that I'm an all around player and just because I can't pocket as well as he does, that doesn't make him a superior player over me,,,, he's just a ball better at 9-ball!

To me, what makes an awesome player is his/her ability to play "different" games!

I started playing late in life,, pool found me at the young age of 27. 38 now and I can safely consider myself a strong B B+ player with hitting A level. My personal accomplishments:
11 9-ball B&Rs in a row
A couple 6 packs in 8-ball (and I don't play much 8-ball)
A couple of 80'somethings in straights
And a few 8 and outs 1-pocket (1 10&out against my friend:)
All have been done on 9fters with 4&1/2 or tighter GC3

I'm glad to be one of those players that really doesn't know which is my best:)

I've had numerous gambling victories (and loses) but the victory that comes to mind always is straight pool to 100. The score was 82-46 me having 46. I couldn't make 3 in a row to save my life and my opponent new it. Anyway, I remember getting down on a shot and totally yelling at myself in my head( showing no external emotion of course) and I got up from the shot 3 times. I finally said the he'll with,,,, just shoot, you loses!!!!

I started my run at 46 and finished the set out to 100! That was my biggest run gambling!

That's the other thing I'm trying to get my friend to understand,,, gambling!!!! To me, that's a true test of ability, heart, stamina, and how well you can hold it together AND most importantly, HOW LONG!!

I'm big on how long a player can handle the pressure! Anybody can play a set well, I've shot a 1000 accustats "once"! Yes, perfect set, no misses and picture perfect run outs and safes! But that was ONCE! Race to 5 by the way,,,, against a semi-pro;)

I'm hoping my friend is reading this thread. And like I said to him in private, it's not about playing against the ghost, it's about staying in control of the table at all times!

Eli

nick serdula

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
A players don't miss

Don't believe it do you. It is what it is. Does he miss? Some people can beat A players and miss all day long. They are caller players. They live for action. Haven't seen one in a while.
Nick :)

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
I can safely consider myself a strong B B+ player with hitting A level. My personal accomplishments:
11 9-ball B&Rs in a row
A couple 6 packs in 8-ball (and I don't play much 8-ball)
A couple of 80'somethings in straights
All have been done on 9fters with 4&1/2 or tighter GC3

In my opinion no B player of any type is capable of running 11 racks in a row of 9 ball on a 9ft with 4.5 inch pockets even on a good night. I would have to think you were an A player at that time even if you no longer are. I can see the other things being possible for a B on a good night but not the 11 racks in a row. I'm open to input on it though.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I have 2 tables at home, a 7' Valley with standard pockets and my good table, a 9' Gold Crown with pockets slightly smaller than 4 1/2", probably more like 4 3/8". I can beat the 9 ball ghost regularly on the Valley but I dont even come close on the big table. I think its the tight pockets that get me, I usually end a run because I jaw a ball, usually trying to cheat the pocket a little. I think the big table with tight pockets makes it much more difficult to beat the ghost. If he is beating the ghost under those conditions hes a pretty strong player.

Thanks for posting this. The tight 9' table requires considerably greater accuracy. My suggestion is you try to beat the ghost on the 9' for a month without cheating the pockets (much). If you can do it on a Valley, my bet is you'll start beating the ghost on the 9'. This will give you enough time to gear your game to that table. It took me a long time to adjust to my tight pockets. When I get on an easier table for any length of time, the sloppiness returns.

Last edited:

LIAKOS27

NOT banned (yet)
Silver Member
In my opinion no B player of any type is capable of running 11 racks in a row of 9 ball on a 9ft with 4.5 inch pockets even on a good night. I would have to think you were an A player at that time even if you no longer are. I can see the other things being possible for a B on a good night but not the 11 racks in a row. I'm open to input on it though.

Lol, by means:) I used a magic rack and pattern racking! I was making 2 ball, sometimes 3 and always having great position on the 1 or 2! I had C player shots most of the time;) it truly was an awesome night:)

In my own head,,,,, it was my 100 ball run I've been after!

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

i would inclined to bet ALOT that noone could do that greater than 50 %

LIAKOS27

NOT banned (yet)
Silver Member
i would inclined to bet ALOT that noone could do that greater than 50 %

I've only done it once! I used the magic rack and pattern racking.

If you know how to break, it's not difficult to put packages together,,,, as long as you have a very consistent break! You DON'T break hard!

There's a video floating around with dueul practicing at capones doing his soft break. That's what inspired me:)

I've always said that I was extremely lucky to do that. I've shown a few people how I did it and when they saw the consistent results after the break, they new it was very possible!

With a triangle rack my best is 3. With the magic racking usually put a 3-pack together during my practice. Which is 2-3 nights a week for a couple hrs!

Also, when I did the 11, I was playing everyday for 3-4 hrs a day religiously! Now, I don't play much, work is too busy and pool doesn't pay mortgage;)

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
So I says yeah, he's a good B to maybe B+ player.

Let's put it in perspective for the youngsters. Forget the ghost crap. Focus on against other players and tournament action. Cigar Tom Vanover from Baltimore was an A player. Won the Maryland 9 ball tournament against Greg Riggie more times than I can count. But he couldn't beat A+ player Mike Sigel even when Sigel toyed with him a bit in the early 80s.

I agree with the ranking system above, by the way; it's pretty accurate. A lot of B+ players can occasionally be mistaken for A players. In which is a seat where many of us occupy now and then. It's reality. Sorry to be harsh.

All the best,
WW

gunzby

My light saber is LD
Silver Member
I think the ghost is a reasonable determination for play level up to a B, but playing above that level requires a lot more than just the ability to play offensively, so it would be very hard to tell.

I agree with this

When I was playing a lot more I was soundly beating the ghost and not taking BiH about half the racks. I didn't consider myself an A player then and still wouldn't. I compared myself to ppl I saw as A players and I just didn't meet that bar. I needed to make strides in areas other than offense before I would consider myself an A.

Sometimes swallowing your pride and recognizing reality for what it is can be the best thing for your game

LIAKOS27

NOT banned (yet)
Silver Member
So I says yeah, he's a good B to maybe B+ player.

Let's put it in perspective for the youngsters. Forget the ghost crap. Focus on against other players and tournament action. Cigar Tom Vanover from Baltimore was an A player. Won the Maryland 9 ball tournament against Greg Riggie more times than I can count. But he couldn't beat A+ player Mike Sigel even when Sigel toyed with him a bit in the early 80s.

I agree with the ranking system above, by the way; it's pretty accurate. A lot of B+ players can occasionally be mistaken for A players. In which is a seat where many of us occupy now and then. It's reality. Sorry to be harsh.

All the best,
WW

I know there are many different rating systems, but if the system has Mike Sigel as an A+, then I am a C- to C! And I can break and run fairly regularly:)

center pocket

It's just a hobby, but a fun one.
Silver Member
Lol, by means:) I used a magic rack and pattern racking! I was making 2 ball, sometimes 3 and always having great position on the 1 or 2! I had C player shots most of the time;) it truly was an awesome night:)

In my own head,,,,, it was my 100 ball run I've been after!
11 x 9 = 99 technically you are just one ball short of a 100 ball run.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk