Very low Break Speed....but consistant and pockets balls.

Stone Cold

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So my buddy bought the iPhone App to test your break speed. We were playing around with it at the Emeralds Event this past weekend and I was breaking REALLY slow on the Bar Boxes. The most I got was high 16s, with high 14s being my average. They were getting low 20s average, with both of them breaking 25 once or twice. I was getting a really close average, and was pocketing balls, but it was very slow. Now this was 9-Ball, and my breaks in 8-Ball are hit and miss lately(Since I bought my new break stick....and light Bunjee). Some nights ill pocket consistantly, and other nights its dry. My question is should I change my whole break for everything, keep my break speed the same in 9-Ball, and change something for 8-ball, or just continue everything the same? I tried choking up on the cue more, and it just made me very uncomfortable, and didnt really help. Then the last day I tried following through a little more and it seemed to help; but it seemed I was pocketing less balls. I was thinking that its posible that using the light breaker may be affecting me. Any advice?
 
This is just my theory. In 9-ball when racked straight and tight most of the balls will track toward a pocket either straight at it or bank, if not kissed. Which balls depend on where you break from, break speed, and where you hit the 1-ball. I find with the tighter and pro cut pockets now a days that I make more balls with in between a soft and medium break (leaning more to the soft side). Unless you have the power and accuracy of a Johnny A., SVB, or the like, your better off not breaking full speed. Balls that would go on a hard break before pro-cut pockets get rejected a lot now. Think pocket speed.

In 10-ball there are only a few balls that track to a pocket, and that’s when you can get them not to kiss. I think in 10-ball a soft to medium break works on some tables, but more times than not you need to power break.

In 8-ball I’ve never had any success breaking anyway but hard. Johnnyt
PS: I'm talking bar table here.
 
Mitch next time we are playing those cheap set I think you should break left handed.(lol)
I tried choking up after I overheard Corey telling you to try it.That really worked for me as far speed and spreading the balls,
but I don't think I made more balls.Break from different spots in the kitchen when the balls aren't falling ,
all tables are different(but you know this already).
 
Hell no I ain't breaking left handed next time! You took money from me this weekend. Haha. No spot for you anymore! Lol
 
This is just my theory. In 9-ball when racked straight and tight most of the balls will track toward a pocket either straight at it or bank, if not kissed. Which balls depend on where you break from, break speed, and where you hit the 1-ball. I find with the tighter and pro cut pockets now a days that I make more balls with in between a soft and medium break (leaning more to the soft side). Unless you have the power and accuracy of a Johnny A., SVB, or the like, your better off not breaking full speed. Balls that would go on a hard break before pro-cut pockets get rejected a lot now. Think pocket speed.

In 10-ball there are only a few balls that track to a pocket, and that’s when you can get them not to kiss. I think in 10-ball a soft to medium break works on some tables, but more times than not you need to power break.

In 8-ball I’ve never had any success breaking anyway but hard. Johnnyt
PS: I'm talking bar table here.

nice...so that's how you break 8-ball
 
Back
Top