Video Set Up- Need some help

gmcole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am looking to set up a nice video system on my home table. I want a quality, single fixed camera set up.

Most of the time would be to record practice sessions/drills/fundamentals etc.
Would like to have it hooked to a TV in order to review instantly. May also want to eventually do some live streams as well.

Looking at this camcorder. I wish it were WiFi as if camcorder is mounted high on the wall, it would be nice to control it with phone etc.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1470659-REG/canon_vixia_hf_g21_full.html

Any recommendations are welcome.

Thanks-Jeff

SFC9ball

JimBaker PBIA Instructor
Silver Member
You could use a GO Pro or 2 and save a ton of money and have great quality. AZ member Bossman69 uses the Go Pro to film his students and his set up it great. Contact Lance I am sure he would give you the in and out of the set up.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What you are after is a "streaming" setup. From there, you can choose to actually stream live, or only record to your SSD, or both. If you record to your SSD, from there you can upload it to YouTube as-is, or further edit it and upload it later.

The basics of the system is:

1) A camera that can capture optically what you are after. An SLR will give you the most options, because the lenses are interchangeable. You can get used ones on ebay for a few hundred. Or, you can get a dedicated camcorder. Two things you will have to watch out for is the camera you select has "clean HDMI out", and it does not auto stop recording every 10 or 30 min (there is a law that if a camera records over 30 minutes, the tax is higher).

2) You don't use the camera's SD card. You bypasss it, and the camera is hooked up directly to your computer. You start and stop the recording from your computer, and never have to touch the camera. It stays on 24/7.

3) The connection from the camera to the computer is via HDMI cable. All cameras have an HDMI out, within the past 10 years. To get the HDMI cable to connect to your computer, you need an HDMI to USB3 adapter (if on a PC), an HDMI to thunderbolt adapter (if on a Mac), or an HDMI to PCI adapter (if on a desktop). They cost from about $100 to $500.

4) To take the camera's HDMI signal and convert it to something usable in file size and bit rate, you need encoding software. There are some free ones, and some paid ones.

I did all of the above and recored to my Mac's SSD for the past 5 years (I never streamed live). The videos I wanted to share I put on YouTube. The whole thing is pretty complicated, as there are many, many separate things you have to figure out. From the optics for pool, to the physical connections, to the encoding software, to a computer powerfule enough, etc etc. The above will get you going.

Here is a good video showing some of the basics. This guy's channel is really good for equipment and how-to for live streaming.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SNBdAL6sxQ

I believe the setup you were looking at comes with an encoder, and you would use that instead of the software in step #4 above.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And if you don't want to go through all that, you can record to your camera's SD card, pop it out when finished, plug it into your computer, edit it to make it smaller, and then save/upload to YouTube.

For that, you would want a remote control for the camera, and/or a ladder to pop out the card. The camera in my new setup I have to do that, because it does not have "clean hdmi out" (my old one did). I may replace it, or live with it for now. Its right above my table, so I hop up on the table to start and stop it, and take out the SD card when done playing.

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member
I am looking to set up a nice video system on my home table. I want a quality, single fixed camera set up.

Would like to have it hooked to a TV in order to review instantly. May also want to eventually do some live streams as well.

Looking at this camcorder. I wish it were WiFi as if camcorder is mounted high on the wall, it would be nice to control it with phone etc.

Thanks-Jeff
I've tried a number of camera / TV setups in the past few years. My recorded sessions are all gopro now. Hero8 has streaming capabilities as well. But, it's not easy to do interactive session with gopro. There's is at least one intermediate step to review a session. And, longer videos are automatically broken up.

IMO, the easiest solution for this is an ipad pro + apple TV. You can watch in real time, record, play back, draw on your video, etc etc. It's pretty robust in what you can do. 3 key downsides to iPad. One is the limited ability to control video settings. So, you are kinda stuck with what apple says you need. (note: what's available is actually pretty good, even the slow mo). Another downside is storage space. You need to clean things out often, but not super frequently. Last one is mounting. You can use a tripod with a special mount, but it's not as elegant as a little gopro on the wall.

In terms of time from purchase to recording to reviewing, ipad is literally a 5 minute deal. GoPro injects time from video to app/editing. It can be annoying having to wait. You could also just use an old iphone you have laying around collecting dust. Even the older models have great resolution.

-td

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
2) You don't use the camera's SD card. You bypasss it, and the camera is hooked up directly to your computer. You start and stop the recording from your computer, and never have to touch the camera. It stays on 24/7.

OP, sorry for the interruption but, I have a question for Iusetoberich.

Iusetoberich,

My camera is a ....Sony Handycam HDR-CX240 ...the camera has a 128 SD card...... This is how it's set up:

HDMI going from camera to 55" t.v.
Power supply (USB) going from camera to computer USB port.

Currently I have to copy vids from camera and paste them to computer hard drive. Not to mention, I then have to go back and delete the vids from the SD card or it will stop recording after 11 hours.

How can I bypass my SD card and record straight to the computer hard drive?

BTW, I have a 4TB external hard drive hooked to my computer by USB.

Again, sorry for asking but, I'm not hardware savvy and my thinker is on the brinks.

Jeff

gmcole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What you are after is a "streaming" setup. From there, you can choose to actually stream live, or only record to your SSD, or both. If you record to your SSD, from there you can upload it to YouTube as-is, or further edit it and upload it later.

The basics of the system is:

1) A camera that can capture optically what you are after. An SLR will give you the most options, because the lenses are interchangeable. You can get used ones on ebay for a few hundred. Or, you can get a dedicated camcorder. Two things you will have to watch out for is the camera you select has "clean HDMI out", and it does not auto stop recording every 10 or 30 min (there is a law that if a camera records over 30 minutes, the tax is higher).

3) The connection from the camera to the computer is via HDMI cable. All cameras have an HDMI out, within the past 10 years. To get the HDMI cable to connect to your computer, you need an HDMI to USB3 adapter (if on a PC), an HDMI to thunderbolt adapter (if on a Mac), or an HDMI to PCI adapter (if on a desktop). They cost from about $100 to $500.

4) To take the camera's HDMI signal and convert it to something usable in file size and bit rate, you need encoding software. There are some free ones, and some paid ones.

I did all of the above and recored to my Mac's SSD for the past 5 years (I never streamed live). The videos I wanted to share I put on YouTube. The whole thing is pretty complicated, as there are many, many separate things you have to figure out. From the optics for pool, to the physical connections, to the encoding software, to a computer powerfule enough, etc etc. The above will get you going.

Here is a good video showing some of the basics. This guy's channel is really good for equipment and how-to for live streaming.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SNBdAL6sxQ

I believe the setup you were looking at comes with an encoder, and you would use that instead of the software in step #4 above.
Great stuff. Thanks for taking the time to go into detail!
This set up sounds like just what I’m looking for.
Is a good SLR better than a camcorder? If so what is a good recommendation? I don’t mind spending a few hundred extra to get better quality video etc. I few thousand extra, maybe not.
BTW I have a 9ft Table, 9 ft ceiling and if I want to shoot from the head or foot of the table, the wall is 7 feet from the playing surface. I have maybe 20 feet to the wall if shooting from the side of the table.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member

Thanks-Jeff
When you break the 626 record, I highly recommend you post the un-edited video ASAP to avoid any controversy.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When you break the 626 record, I highly recommend you post the un-edited video ASAP to avoid any controversy.

I think I may have a vid of my high run laying around somewhere. I'll have to dig it up and post it.

Only thing, it's not been edited eventhough it looks like it's been edited simply because ever so often it looks like the sun is out and then it's night out. The window by the table is messed up, that's all.

Also, the felt on the table was green when I started but, it was blue toward the end. Again, it only looks fishy. The run was so long, the felt got dirty and really looked different toward the end.

Oh, I almost forgot about the cb changing from a measle ball to red circle and then to a cyclop cb. Again, it was no funny business, it's a special effects cb...it's all good.

On second thought, I'm not gonna post the vid. Your gonna have to take my word on it.

Heck, I'm not even gonna sell private viewings. I tell you what I will do though. Just for you, seeing how we been through so much together, I'll tell you the story of the run in detail from start to finish for the low, low price of $19.99.

BTW, if you order now, I'll tell it to you twice with a guarantee that you'll never see your money again.

Jeff

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
I use an Everio 1080p camcorder mounted up high at the foot end of the table and use a USB capture card to be able to record and or stream. It's relatively cheap to setup and maintain.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
This model comes with wifi. You will have to look through the documentation on how to control it via wifi. If that doesn't work, go with IR remote.

If you want to see every that the camera is outputting, get an HDMI splitting so you can view on a TV and still livestream over Webcaster X2.

Thanks-Jeff

Last edited:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've tried a number of camera / TV setups in the past few years. My recorded sessions are all gopro now. Hero8 has streaming capabilities as well. But, it's not easy to do interactive session with gopro. There's is at least one intermediate step to review a session. And, longer videos are automatically broken up.

IMO, the easiest solution for this is an ipad pro + apple TV. You can watch in real time, record, play back, draw on your video, etc etc. It's pretty robust in what you can do. 3 key downsides to iPad. One is the limited ability to control video settings. So, you are kinda stuck with what apple says you need. (note: what's available is actually pretty good, even the slow mo). Another downside is storage space. You need to clean things out often, but not super frequently. Last one is mounting. You can use a tripod with a special mount, but it's not as elegant as a little gopro on the wall.

In terms of time from purchase to recording to reviewing, ipad is literally a 5 minute deal. GoPro injects time from video to app/editing. It can be annoying having to wait. You could also just use an old iphone you have laying around collecting dust. Even the older models have great resolution.

-td

How do you draw on the video? Do you mean take a screenshot of the video, and use the "pencil" to draw on the screenshot?

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OP, sorry for the interruption but, I have a question for Iusetoberich.

Iusetoberich,

My camera is a ....Sony Handycam HDR-CX240 ...the camera has a 128 SD card...... This is how it's set up:

HDMI going from camera to 55" t.v.
Power supply (USB) going from camera to computer USB port.

Currently I have to copy vids from camera and paste them to computer hard drive. Not to mention, I then have to go back and delete the vids from the SD card or it will stop recording after 11 hours.

How can I bypass my SD card and record straight to the computer hard drive?

BTW, I have a 4TB external hard drive hooked to my computer by USB.

Again, sorry for asking but, I'm not hardware savvy and my thinker is on the brinks.

Jeff

You need a USB capture card, and an encoding software. The capture card link here comes with free software. I only have 15 min of messing around experience with this exact one. The one I used for 5 years is a thunderbolt type, and only works with Macs.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07K3FN5MR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great stuff. Thanks for taking the time to go into detail!
This set up sounds like just what I’m looking for.
Is a good SLR better than a camcorder? If so what is a good recommendation? I don’t mind spending a few hundred extra to get better quality video etc. I few thousand extra, maybe not.
BTW I have a 9ft Table, 9 ft ceiling and if I want to shoot from the head or foot of the table, the wall is 7 feet from the playing surface. I have maybe 20 feet to the wall if shooting from the side of the table.

The advantage of the SLR is interchangeable lenses. You can get an SLR for 300-500 (new or used), and the lenses for 100 each to the moon each. The disadvantage to the SLR is they are made for pictures primarily, as opposed to video. Although, now that gap is lessening. Almost all the "professional YouTube streamers" use DSLR's. I bought a used Canon I showed in the thread I linked above. It doesn't work well for streaming. If price were not super critical, I'd go for a Sony mirrorless now, that will record in 4K, and works well for streaming. Spend and hour or two on this guy's page and his YouTube. You will learn a TON.
https://livestreamingpros.com/studio/

If you don't need a special lens (like I did for overhead), a regular camcorder will work fine. The limitation to the camcorder is again the lens. It has to be a jack of all trades, and has a very large zoom range. The better lenses for DSLR's don't have a zoom actually. This lets them bring in a lot more light (because the aperture is bigger), and the result could be a better picture. I'm just learning about SLR's and lenses. Its a whole different world. I'm no expert at all!

7' from the end rail is plenty. My wall is 6' from the end rail. My first camera was a canon camcorder (7 years ago). From that distance, it barely got the whole table. My next camera was a Panasonic camcorder (5 years ago). That one at its widest angle got the whole table, plus about a foot in each direction.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
What lens did you use for overhead, without fisheye distortion?

The advantage of the SLR is \
If you don't need a special lens (like I did for overhead), a regular camcorder will work fine. The limitation to the camcorder is again the lens. It has to be a jack of all trades, and has a very large zoom range. The better lenses for DSLR's don't have a zoom actually. This lets them bring in a lot more light (because the aperture is bigger), and the result could be a better picture. I'm just learning about SLR's and lenses. Its a whole different world. I'm no expert at all!