Videos of my brother and me shooting 9 ball

Brandon B.

Registered
Hey guys. I wanted to post some videos of my brother and I playing some pool. In the video I am the heavier set guy. The reason for this post is that I've recently began reading these forums again after a 5 year hiatus and began playing pool competitively in the last 6 months and would like some feedback about my stroke and stroke mechanics. My brother in the video actually has a beautiful stroke which he picked up naturally while my stroke it would seem is based off reading and watching pool videos and instructions. Anyway, I would appreciate any comments or snyde remarks...Thank you again for watching.

*NOTE: Volume settings may have to adjust a little lower not knowing how well the audio would record using an iPhone 4 for the videos*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8ubO2au0TA&list=UUHcqJ7WFtca9YAq16qHS2FA&index=3&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j0Wv8tqZm4&list=UUHcqJ7WFtca9YAq16qHS2FA&index=2&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60K5keGQc40&list=UUHcqJ7WFtca9YAq16qHS2FA&index=1&feature=plcp

In watching these videos, I notice I have some subtle movements when shooting a draw shot, and also, I notice that my bridge arm or shoulder is definitely pressed up against my face. Huh.

Last edited:

JLD

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your stroke looks good, not hurried and kept level with the shot. Cue ball control is fairly good as well. The only real negative I saw is that on almost every shot your head begins to move up away from the cue before contact is made with the cue ball. I think that the head movement was a major factor on the few relative easy shots that you missed.

Last edited:

Brandon B.

Registered
Your stroke looks good, not hurried and kept level with the shot. Cue ball control is fairly good as well. The only real negative I saw is that on almost every shot your head begins to move up away on the cue before contact is made with the cue ball. I think that the head movement was a major factor on the few relative easy shots that you missed.

Thanks JLD :smile:. I will be making sure to limit to no movement of my head tonight when I practice/ play my match tonight.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Brandon, I'm going to give it to you straight. I can't get past the fact that you are so young yet you are so out of shape. What's up with that? Do you want to be limping around on bad knees 10 years from now, or wind up with type 2 diabetes?

You have a strong game but I can't imagine that you would have the kind of stamina you'd need to get through long tournaments.

If there's a legitimate reason for you to be out of shape, then my apologies. But if not, do something about it before it's too late.

Brandon B.

Registered
Brandon, I'm going to give it to you straight. I can't get past the fact that you are so young yet you are so out of shape. What's up with that? Do you want to be limping around on bad knees 10 years from now, or wind up with type 2 diabetes?

You have a strong game but I can't imagine that you would have the kind of stamina you'd need to get through long tournaments.

If there's a legitimate reason for you to be out of shape, then my apologies. But if not, do something about it before it's too late.

Fran thank you for your post! You are absolutely right! I notice that all great pool players up to this point are pretty fit like Mika, Shane, and the rest of the pro tour seeing as I don't see big guys playing as much. Even Wu Chia Ching lost a great amount of weight after winning the 2005 WPC. I am working on that as of the last couple months so hopefully when the US amateurs roll around I will have dropped at least 60 lbs. Thank you this gives me even more motivation to lose the weight! :smile:
To answer question...poor eating and workout habits..very poor

Last edited:

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Brandon, with a great attitude like yours, I believe you can accomplish anything. Go for it!!

The talent is there ----Just work on the self-discipline part and you've got it!

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
Okay, I always start posting to these threads before I see it's "Ask the Instructor"...not an instructor, but had to say:

1. I don't see any real head movement or anything else...your stroke looks very solid to me.

2. You can easily give your brother the 6. OBTW, he's got a lot of movement going on when he's down on the shot...kind of sways around. I do this too, if I'm not careful. It doesn't usually hurt me, it's usually to help me see the shot better, but it definitely doesn't help, either. If his stroke was as solid as yours, he'd give you some trouble.

3. You need to find an A or AA player that's willing to regularly knock some around with you...that's about all I see you need to get to the next level.

4. Fran's right...you're way too young to be packing that weight...do yourself a favor, though...lose it slow and steady (like 2-5 pounds per week, no more), focus on cutting carbs and fatty meats (like pork and red meat), cut the portions (NEVER do seconds and keep your portion sizes about cigarette pack sized) and do low impact cardio for at least 45 minutes per day, an hour is better. Cut out ALL soda; diet included--that stuff is killer for keeping weight on. Crash weight loss only comes right back and fools you into thinking you can't ever lose weight. Force yourself to walk very quickly in one direction with an iPod or something for 20-25 minutes, then turn around and go back the same direction. Mix it up with walking up flights of stairs. Make it a true, no-kidding commitment. Once you've cut about 40-50 lbs, then start looking at higher impact cardio/anaerobic exercise for 30-45 minutes (like jogging, windsprints, Fartleks, etc.). If you're into weight training, keep it to slow, heavy reps, not speed weights; that cuts weight, too. Do that and I dare you to stay heavy! Get in the habit now, and when you're an old fart like me you'll stay at a reasonable weight, and won't be waiting for diabetes or a heart attack. :D

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
If you want some more motivation on the fitness regime... PM Donny Mills on here... Donny was in horrible shape and woke one day and decided it was time to change a whole lot of things in his life..... He has a great story and I would bet he would be willing to share it.......

scottjen26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In Brandon's defense, the camera adds at least 10 pounds... :)

Brandon, I'll be down at Riggsy's tomorrow if you want to play some, should be good for both of us since I'm sick of working on my stroke after 5 straight hours last night...

Scott

Brandon B.

Registered
@WestPoint1987 Thank you for the reply! I will be using your tips for losing weight. With my brother, giving him the 6 would definitely be challenge for me because he can easily run out as well, though he hasn't been playing well as of late.

@The Renfro, what's Donnie Mills username so that I can PM him?

@MRP2k12 You are correct that is Bankshots Billiards in Jacksonville, Florida. They no longer hold the tournament there because there is a better place for the tournament played on 9 ft. Diamond tables at Park Avenue. Tournaments are on Tuesday and Sundays. Sundays usually being the better races.

@scottjen26 Haha Thanks Scott. I will try to make it out there. I will text you about it.

:smile: Have a great day guys.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Brandon...Your stroke mechanics look pretty solid. You can't see much of your shooting arm in the videos (move the camera back farther from the table), but you can see that your stick moves well through the CB.

About the weight thing...while everybody is right, about the health issue, there have been a LOT of really expert players who were a lot more overweight than you. The one important issue is that you have to WANT to lose the weight. No outside motivation will have any effect, until you really want to do it...it's just like quitting smoking, or drugs or anything else. Good luck to you.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Brandon B.

Registered
@FranCrimi Definitely being healthy plays a part in shooting, as I began to feel fatigue using the aiming system I've been working on. Whew definitely have to work out!

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
@FranCrimi Definitely being healthy plays a part in shooting, as I began to feel fatigue using the aiming system I've been working on. Whew definitely have to work out!

I hear ya, Brandon. I started going to the gym three years ago. It took a few months to get into the swing of it and to start to feel the benefits. Once you start, keep at it and you will be rewarded!

I now work out at the gym 4 days a week and I feel stronger than I ever did, and I have much more endurance for staying focused during those long matches that come up. Also, when I practice, I don't stop anymore because I'm fatigued. I stop because it's time to stop. What a great feeling that is!

Fran