Videos showing some nursing shots

Goodness! What was wrong with that cameraman? lol I had to rock my laptop up on its side just to watch the video. But, it was a great run, for sure. I loved the control of the reposition shots when he got a little out of line, then brought them all back together. His miss was funny. I'm sure the other players poked at him about it.

I played straight rail for a few minutes a while back, for the first time. I think I ran 10 or 12 and was like "woohoo!" There's not enough time in the day for all the games I want to learn. ;)

-yow!
 
This game is so damn hard to make a respectable run at and yet the game died because players could not miss for hours and they had to hose down the crowd after I guy ran around the table 30x without missing.

Seriously, I think most decent pool players can make a higher score at 14.1than this game. Could you imagine Mosconi running a couple 1000 at straight pool?

I know what you mean Yow. You could spend a lifetime just learning a book like Daly's book on billiards; throw in balkline, 18.2, 3-C, and the rest of the games on a pocketless table alone and you have a lifetimes worth of learning ahead of you. Controlling both balls, gathers, perfect nurses along the rail, safety considerations... its freakin scary to think how good the players at this game used to be.
 
bud green said:
This game is so damn hard to make a respectable run at and yet the game died because players could not miss for hours and they had to hose down the crowd after I guy ran around the table 30x without missing.

Seriously, I think most decent pool players can make a higher score at 14.1than this game. Could you imagine Mosconi running a couple 1000 at straight pool?

I know what you mean Yow. You could spend a lifetime just learning a book like Daly's book on billiards; throw in balkline, 18.2, 3-C, and the rest of the games on a pocketless table alone and you have a lifetimes worth of learning ahead of you. Controlling both balls, gathers, perfect nurses along the rail, safety considerations... its freakin scary to think how good the players at this game used to be.



Yup, and not to mention the comparative quality of the equipment they performed upon. I think the first twenty or so pages of the Daly book is some of the most facinating billiard reading in print. Guys like Schaefer, Ives, etc. had skills bordering on science fiction.
Yet, anyone willing to invest some time into straight rail and its variants can definitely improve their pocket game as well. But, trying to get your friends to play straight rail, forget it! Not having a billiard table, I've learned my small bag of basic straight rail skills on my Diamond Pro using billiard balls.
 
Straight Rail

One thing that I have learned about Straight Rail and Balkline billiards and 14.1 continuous on pool that I assume a good chunk of people don't have alot of is patience. If there is an obsticle that one should work on, it is this. I have been to many billiard parlors and I know that there are some that wouldn't give a half-minute just for me to shoot (and I am quite methodical when it comes to serious pool/billiards). This is one of plenty of reasons on why I enjoy straight-rail and balkline games.
 
Back
Top