Viewing of John Schmidt's 626 straight pool run

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm hoping more people watch this traveling show. It's organized and led by Jerry McWorter (retired cuemaker extraordinaire, musician, and excellent straight pool player)

Really not interested in debating anything. Just giving my observations and my opinions on watching it:

• The video production was entertaining and very watchable. Jerry McWorter did a great job as both voice-over commentator and live host for the evening
  • There were a couple of non-voice over sections of about 10 minutes each where the video kept playing, and John discussed live many aspects of what led up to this, the challenges and hardships, and the help he received. He discussed cloth, conditions, clothing, physical and mental challenges. There was a lot of therapy going on.
  • Doug Desmond (the racker) gave some information on Mosconi’s 526 run in Springfield, OH on the voice over. He said it was on an *oversized* 8’ table. I’ve actually never heard it was an oversized 8. I always thought it was a standard 8’ table.
  • Even a non-pool player was in attendance, and he loved it. I guess he came with a friend.
  • Some of the attendees are on AZBilliards. We didn’t discuss AZBilliards, but we had discussions on internet members in general.
  • The video is a single non-moving camera that showed a continuous run, no cutaways or skips for 627 shots with a miss on the last.
  • The only editing was scrubbing the background music/noise and adding voice-over commentary (Jerry, John, Doug).
  • There was one ball cleaning maybe around 350. Both 15th and cueball were ball-marked with what looked like Gibby Tkatch’s ball marker
  • The ball marker was not moved around. It’s a 2-hand process to pick and replace the ball with that marker (and all markers really).
  • John came with some incredibly delicate and difficult shots. Probably around 15 that were just hairy.
  • There were some position shots on the last three or four balls of many racks that needed position within what looked like a 1” or less circle. If any one of these were a hair off, again they easily would have stopped the run
  • No question that the 5” corner pockets were fully taken advantage of.
  • There was one section in the 400’s IIRC that they sped up for time sake. The rest of the 550 or so balls were in normal time.
  • John played pretty fast for the first 300 balls, and slowed down considerably for the next 200. That’s been consistent with his live feeds when he got over 300.
  • After he got through 527, his pace went right back to his normal. He hit some more amazing shots after 527 on his way to 626, given the numbers he was at. John hits a shot at 560 that you just have to see to believe.
  • After watching this, I truly believe John Schmidt has more intimate knowledge of straight pool patterns and runout play than anyone else. Running 300 balls was like automatic for him, meaning there was very little hemming and hawing and looking at all angles (until the pressure of getting past 300 balls, that is).
  • Just John talking about his runout thoughts both on video and in person is worth the price of admission ($50 last night).
  • The video started right around 700PM and finished around 1030PM. It could have been 645PM and 1045PM respectively. Wasn’t paying that close attention to the time. The time went by quickly. There was never a time that I was thinking that it was boring or anything like that.
  • And yes, I encourage every fan of pool to go watch this if it’s in your area. If for nothing else… to stop guessing and arguing about something you haven’t seen. But, maybe that’s a bit too optimistic
If there are more observational questions, I'm happy to try to answer. Some things are better left to viewing as any of my explanation wouldn't do it justice.

Freddie <~~~ thought it was spectacular

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
awesome thank you for the review
it actually inspires my interest in seeing the video once again, should i ever get the opportunity

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm hoping more people watch this traveling show. It's organized and led by Jerry McWorter (retired cuemaker extraordinaire, musician, and excellent straight pool player)

Really not interested in debating anything. Just giving my observations and my opinions on watching it:

• The video production was entertaining and very watchable. Jerry McWorter did a great job as both voice-over commentator and live host for the evening
  • There were a couple of non-voice over sections of about 10 minutes each where the video kept playing, and John discussed live many aspects of what led up to this, the challenges and hardships, and the help he received. He discussed cloth, conditions, clothing, physical and mental challenges. There was a lot of therapy going on.
  • Doug Desmond (the racker) gave some information on Mosconi’s 526 run in Springfield, OH on the voice over. He said it was on an *oversized* 8’ table. I’ve actually never heard it was an oversized 8. I always thought it was a standard 8’ table.
  • Even a non-pool player was in attendance, and he loved it. I guess he came with a friend.
  • Some of the attendees are on AZBilliards. We didn’t discuss AZBilliards, but we had discussions on internet members in general.
  • The video is a single non-moving camera that showed a continuous run, no cutaways or skips for 627 shots with a miss on the last.
  • The only editing was scrubbing the background music/noise and adding voice-over commentary (Jerry, John, Doug).
  • There was one ball cleaning maybe around 350. Both 15th and cueball were ball-marked with what looked like Gibby Tkatch’s ball marker
  • The ball marker was not moved around. It’s a 2-hand process to pick and replace the ball with that marker (and all markers really).
  • John came with some incredibly delicate and difficult shots. Probably around 15 that were just hairy.
  • There were some position shots on the last three or four balls of many racks that needed position within what looked like a 1” or less circle. If any one of these were a hair off, again they easily would have stopped the run
  • There was one section in the 400’s IIRC that they sped up for time sake. The rest of the 550 or so balls were in normal time.
  • John played pretty fast for the first 300 balls, and slowed down considerably for the next 200. That’s been consistent with his live feeds when he got over 300.
  • After he got through 527, his pace went right back to his normal. He hit some more amazing shots after 527 on his way to 626, given the numbers he was at. John hits a shot at 560 that you just have to see to believe.
  • After watching this, I truly believe John Schmidt has more intimate knowledge of straight pool patterns and runout play than anyone else. Running 300 balls was like automatic for him, meaning there was very little hemming and hawing and looking at all angles (until the pressure of getting past 300 balls, that is).
  • Just John talking about his runout thoughts both on video and in person is worth the price of admission ($50 last night).
  • The video started right around 700PM and finished around 1030PM. It could have been 645PM and 1045PM respectively. Wasn’t paying that close attention to the time. The time went by quickly. There was never a time that I was thinking that it was boring or anything like that.
  • And yes, I encourage every fan of pool to go watch this if it’s in your area. If for nothing else… to stop guessing and arguing about something you haven’t seen. But, maybe that’s a bit too optimistic
If there are more observational questions, I'm happy to try to answer. Some things are better left to viewing as any of my explanation wouldn't do it justice.

Fred, thanks for your observations. To play devils advocate, it’s just a little strange to me why they felt the need to speed up the video just for +\-100 balls of the 626 run, especially considering it occurred in the 400s, before he had broken Mosconi’s 526.

Would it really have been that big a deal if the entire presentation had taken 20 to 30 minutes longer by keeping the playing of the entirety of the run in real time for the entire 626? Just makes one wonder why?

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Where did you see it Cornerman? If I’m remembering right you live just down the road from me, please don’t tell me this road show came to a Clearwater and I missed it??

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
where were you able to watch it? When will it become more widely available?
I’m in Chicago western suburbs this week. It was shown at Qbar in Darian, IL. I believe they’re in Chris’s tonight in Chicago, and them Darian tomorrow.
Fred, thanks for your observations. To play devils advocate, it’s just a little strange to me why they felt the need to speed up the video just for +\-100 balls of the 626 run, especially considering it occurred in the 400s, before he had broken Mosconi’s 526.

Would it really have been that big a deal if the entire presentation had taken 20 to 30 minutes longer by keeping the playing of the entirety of the run in real time for the entire 626? Just makes one wonder why?
Hi, Chris. There really should be nothing strange about it. They mixed in strategic non-voice sections for talking purposes, and had plenty of voice-over sections to keep this is an entertaining piece. High-speeding through a hundred balls or less solved keeping everyone entertained with no boring spots when the hosts already talked about everything under the sun. You certainly wouldn't high-speed in the 500's. Additionally, this is the section when John had really slowed down and tripled his time between shots. Again, for entertainment purposes, it feels like good strategy to high speed through that section. If they didn't high-speed play through there, I would have had a tough time having to get to work the next day.

It wasn't a bad decision at all for Jerry and John. It didn't take away anything. If there were some really cool shots in that span, we had plenty to ooh and aah about in the other 550 balls.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Apparently I'm clueless on this new forum format. I have no idea how I quoted two posts in one post.

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thats awesome you got to see it. I am trying to get a viewing at my local pool room. Anyone have a way to do that? I posted on JS's facebook but haven't heard back yet.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where can I see that?
Well, look what crawled out of jail.

Liar.

There were lots of questions from the audience and the food was not free.

As for counting each and every ball your comment makes me, along with the others, wonder about your familiarity with 14.1. But you are right in a sense: on several shots, which might have been three or four, more than one ball was pocketed, so the run had fewer than 627 shots.

Here are the 45 break balls during the run and the position relative to the rack.

Rack -- Break Ball -- BB Position -- Break Shot Time
1 1 L 0:00:00
2 4 R 0:03:25
3 13 R 0:06:10
4 5 L 0:09:13
5 13 L 0:13:10
6 14 L 0:17:18
7 2 L 0:20:50
8 1 L 0:24:43
9 5 R 0:28:01
10 10 R 0:31:26
11 9 R 0:36:04
12 14 R 0:40:45
13 12 R 0:44:07
14 2 R 0:47:57
15 6 L 0:52:50
16 2 R 0:56:24
17 3 L 0:59:46
18 8 R 1:03:43
19 6 L 1:08:01
20 2 L 1:14:04
21 4 B 1:20:21
22 1 SL 1:26:46
23 8 L 1:36:50
24 7 L 1:40:50
25 1 R 1:46:58
26 6 R 1:51:49
27 11 R 1:58:45
28 9 L 2:04:05
29 5 R 2:08:39
30 3 B 2:16:09
31 1 SL 2:21:15
32 6 B 2:29:03
33 5 L 2:34:46
34 7 R 2:39:53
35 4 R 2:48:48
36 5 R 2:55:49
37 1 L 3:03:29
38 13 R 3:10:05
39 9 R 3:22:55
40 12 L 3:26:55
41 9 L 3:32:22
42 6 B 3:38:39
43 7 L 3:43:26
44 5 L 3:48:49
45 9 R 3:59:58

L and R were side of the rack breaks, B was below the rack, and S was into a side pocket both of which were with ball in hand in the kitchen.

I would be flabbergasted if there were no transcription error in the above data from my hand-written notes.