Vintage Bar Table Tutorial

Oh my I am triggered. 😉
Alaska and the pipeline project provided a huge opportunity for a person with on the pool table skills and oh don't forget the gold being mined up there. 🤷‍♂️
I had the pleasure of aquintance with a few that had success up there. One was a Gal that could jump a full ball with her shooter using the pumpkin ball. AT 12 INCHES!

I was tempted by the pipeline but it was cold outside! I knew a handful of people who went up there. Most made some money. One man went up there for two years and didn't bring home a penny! He had a thing for the ponies and company checks in his pocket. He would start cashing company checks for five hundred or a thousand at a time thinking he would catch up on the later races. He managed to make a deal with the company to work the pipeline. The other choice was to break rock for free! Actually farming for free, Angola State Farm. Fifteen cents an hour, last I heard they had cut it to twelve cents an hour.

Hu
 
Again, such a similar history.
To avoid the wait the 9 ball ring game was the logical and profit able solution.
In the Northwest it was an honest effort with up to 5 players. Shooting from kitchen on scratch. Fouled shot generated option for next shooter. Sometimes the rotation was shuffled to make it more fair. Of course there were times I played in a 3 handed game knowing they played from the same pocket. On one such occasion the weaker player was setting up the stronger. The shooter played Almost as good as me. So at 1 and 2 the stuck 20 was approaching, I approached the shooter and said, "I can't beat both of you. How 'bout you and me for 10. I had employed a Cole Stance with Budweiser bottle in hand and quietly making the offer. The set man had rabbit ears and jumped into our conversation with , I Wanna Play TOO!
Sooo, my suck sinked and direct reply was, "you don't understand. I said I can't play both of you but will play him for 10. (As I could be better than even in 2 games). YOU! I will play for 20. Do you wanna play?"
He sat down. 🤷‍♂️
Almost all my bar pool was heads up Eight Ball. Ring 9-Ball was on 9' tables. I did play some bar table doubles a few times when asked.

I actually loved it when two guys tried to put me in the middle. I was getting 2-1 on the money!
 
Almost all my bar pool was heads up Eight Ball. Ring 9-Ball was on 9' tables. I did play some bar table doubles a few times when asked.

I actually loved it when two guys tried to put me in the middle. I was getting 2-1 on the money!

Yeah, I always knew I would get ganged up on. Didn't matter. Like you say, more money so the more the merrier. I thought it was funny.

You may remember this, new to some others I am sure. I had destroyed my left shoulder. Took a major rebuild and the doctor told me strictly in a sling for seven weeks. Wasn't but a night or two later I stopped in a strange place and found a five dollar ring game.

Seven weeks and one night past surgery and I busted that ring game all to hell! I had played a little one handed but I had too big an itch to stall a little and milk the game for weeks or months.

Hu
 
Yeah, I always knew I would get ganged up on. Didn't matter. Like you say, more money so the more the merrier. I thought it was funny.

You may remember this, new to some others I am sure. I had destroyed my left shoulder. Took a major rebuild and the doctor told me strictly in a sling for seven weeks. Wasn't but a night or two later I stopped in a strange place and found a five dollar ring game.

Seven weeks and one night past surgery and I busted that ring game all to hell! I had played a little one handed but I had too big an itch to stall a little and milk the game for weeks or months.

Hu
You're luckier than me. Seems like if I beat a ring game a couple of times I got barred from the game.
 
You're luckier than me. Seems like if I beat a ring game a couple of times I got barred from the game.

I was one and done with that one. As soon as I came through the door it broke up! That was a very rough joint on Airline Hwy. Same place my friends got in a brawl them against the rest of the bar. Two smallish guys and Louis. Louis was about six and a half feet tall and his arms looked fairly smooth. That was a trick, he could pick up the back of a car!

Three against twenty or thirty was fairly even until somebody threw a chair at Louis. Louis started throwing chairs, forty or fifty feet if they didn't connect solidly on the way to the far wall.

When Louis ran out of chairs he started throwing the tables with the heavy pedestal bases. Humming them one handed side arm, still bouncing them off the wall forty or fifty feet away. Everybody hit the doors including the employees and owner!

I knew about three guys Louis's size and when I went to a strange race track I would be sure I loaded up one or two of them. The dirt tracks especially could get interesting. One north of New Orleans just ran the races as intermissions between the fights!

Hu
 
Back
Top