Vintage Joss or Josswest

Monstermash

Lock Ness Monster
Silver Member
Hey guys,

I'm going to take a look at this cue tomorrow and the owner claims it to be an older "Joss from the 70's". The design is definately consistant of the older Joss and Josswest cues but the buttcap has been replaced and it no longer has any marking on it. If you had to guess, would you think it was an old block letter Joss or a JW? I think there is also the possiblilty he is incorrect as to the time period it was made.

 
I'm not sure. From the photo, it does look like it's longer than a 5/16 x 14 or 18 so maybe a 3/8 x 10?
 
The wood blocks around the joint collars (typical of JW) look to small for a JW. And the butt sleeve looks very long. Maybe it is barrel distortion from the camera, and obviously not the best pic to go by.
 
Didn't it have 4 shafts, including one with a yellow micarta ferrule?

Yes, it had 4 shafts. After looking at the butt I didn't bother to check out the shafts. The point work was some of the worst I have ever seen. It had two large veneers that were very poorly executed with large spaces where they came together and none of the points were even. Honestly I have never seen this kind of shoddy work on an old Joss or JW.

Another tell tale sign the cue wasn't what the seller claimed was the diameter of the butt. It was much thinner than the cue of the claimed time period.

I am curious how you knew it came with 4 shafts and the micarta ferrule?
 
Last edited:
Yes, it had 4 shafts. After looking at the butt I didn't bother to check out the shafts. The point work was some of the worst I have ever seen. It had two large veneers that were very poorly executed with large spaces where they came together and none of the points were even. Honestly I have never seen this kind of shoddy work on an old Joss or JW.

Another tell tale sign the cue wasn't what the seller claimed was the diameter of the butt. It was much thinner than the cue of the claimed time period.

I am curious how you knew it came with 4 shafts and the micarta ferrule?

CL RI... Old habits die hard.
 
Back
Top