Virtual Games

HomeBrewer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been talking through it with a buddy of mine who has written a ton of apps of all sorts and it seems initially like it the math, while tricky, can be accomplished but the image recognition of the ball will be the steeper hill.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've been talking through it with a buddy of mine who has written a ton of apps of all sorts and it seems initially like it the math, while tricky, can be accomplished but the image recognition of the ball will be the steeper hill.
There is probably most of the needed image stuff in Virtual Pool but it is a question of getting the developers interested in implementing "table capture".

A nearly working example is "Eagle Eye" used on snooker broadcasts to allow showing the player's view of the shot. Somehow they have not connected the image system to a ball placement helper. Instead the referees futz around seemingly forever to replace balls according to a previous screen capture compared manually to the current position from the same fixed camera. I think the Chinese broadcasters have a complete system.

But an alternative is to generate a set of semi-random positions that each player sets up and shoots. This was the way collegiate competition was done for a while, I believe. I think it was called a "key shot" tournament. That allowed competition without travel.

HomeBrewer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting, thanks!

Yeah, I admit I've always been a bit underwhelmed by the Eagle Eye system. I usually say to myself, 'Geez, how hard can it be?'

Bu then, everything is easy to the guy who is not doing it.

Scratchy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good options of which to be aware, thank you Bob. To me, the attractions of the approach we’re trying to work out are 1) we get real ball hits and feel, stroke practice on real tables, and 2) there is a social aspect with FaceTime. Not just a ‘game’, but a chance to meet a new face and talk about more than just the game; it’s a social experience. I’m tired of just shooting on an empty table. It’s nice to chat on the nuances of various shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk