Wanted: Dewalt dw670 lamiante trimmer

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BHQ

all of the blue arching you see at the brushes when it is running on AC creates heat and noise. when you switch to DC the blue arch goes away. the fan also causes noise but the high scream comes from the arching..
you can also machine 1/2 the the fan away when you have it apart to help reduce noise.

bill

I looked into building your converter yesterday and other than the bridge rectifier the parts were fairly expensive. I had no clue that a rotary dial dimmer switch could cost from 80 to over 250.00. Do you have any recommendations where to get said parts a little more reasonably? I would hate to spend a couple of hundred dollars on an experiment.

Dick

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
A tip for you router users.

Royce i know you use quite a few routers on a steady basis.
this is for the guys with routers that use brush assemblies.
Run your routers on DC power. your router will run 40% cooler and 40% less screaming noise. your torque curve will increase and carry over a wider rpm range. my dewalts are old and on the original brushes.

here is the parts list for a DC power supply. the three main parts are:
1. 1500 watt AC rotory dial dimmer switch.-any home depot
2. 200 volt 25 amp bridge rectifier -- nothing less
3. 200 volt 10,000 ufd DC capacitor -- the voltage can be higher but not lower. you will blow it up.

this is how you wire it up.
120 ac line volt to on/off switch -to- dimmer -to- rectifier -to- capacitor --to- on/off switch -to- router.

this setup also gives you variable speed control. my box has double outlets . you can plug any extension cord in and run a router 25 feet away . i run two routers off one power supply no problem.

bill
I am confused on how you run this "from 120 ac line volt to on/off switch -to- dimmer -to- rectifier -to- capacitor --to- on/off switch -to- router"? Does this mean you come off the switch with those items then loop them back to themselves? I can't grasp how you are hooking them up to the on/off switch twice.

vasilios

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dick

sorry , but it is on the pricy side. the Cap and the dimmer alone is a pretty good piece of change. check a wholesale electrical supply for the dimmer. the cap you will have to order.

bill

vasilios

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chris

think about the power flow like this.
the first switch is the on/off for the power supply.

the dimmer is between first switch and rectifier.do not use dimmer for a on/off switch.just leave it on. to avoid power surge. just dial your voltage up and down with it.

the rectifier charges the Cap. put the last switch to break the power to the router from the Cap.

this helps to keep contact points from carbon burns.

bill