Wanting to send flyers to other pool rooms

DeepocketsAlvin

Registered
I own a pool hall and thought about sending flyers to other pool halls all over my state and sometimes surrounding states for major upcoming events. Would another pool hang them in their place? I would gladly hang someone else's in my place. I think we can all promote each other. What is the reality of that? Am I just dreaming when it comes to thinking that other owners would welcome this tactic or is everyone out for theirselves? Any input would be welcome!

RackemBilliards

Player, Room Owner
Silver Member
Flyers

:grin:
I own a pool hall and thought about sending flyers to other pool halls all over my state and sometimes surrounding states for major upcoming events. Would another pool hang them in their place? I would gladly hang someone else's in my place. I think we can all promote each other. What is the reality of that? Am I just dreaming when it comes to thinking that other owners would welcome this tactic or is everyone out for theirselves? Any input would be welcome!

I think you're exactly right! I would put up any flyer about any tournament that would be available to any player in our area. I was a little disappointed that the recent 'Raggs Rack em Billiards' event in Eureka, CA never sent us any flyers this year. I would have put them up, and they would have got a few players from them. It's not like our players are going to go there on a daily basis, but there's always value in what's going on, and where.

DeepocketsAlvin

Registered
Thanks for your response. I am assuming that since there have been 40 views and only 1 reply that maybe we are the only ones who think it is a good idea to work together. LOL. I would like input from some more hall owners. Positive or negative. Thanks

Dartman

Silver Member

Besides flyers try starting a mailing list (email) for your regulars and tourny patrons.
This is an effective and free way to communicate event information directly with the players.

RackemBilliards

Player, Room Owner
Silver Member
Internet

Besides flyers try starting a mailing list (email) for your regulars and tourny patrons.
This is an effective and free way to communicate event information directly with the players.

I agree with Dartman. The internet is the way to comunicate with the people you need to reach. Rafael Martinez was in town to play some today, and I posted on Facebook that he would be here, and voila, a building full of people to watch the game. Creating an e-mail list and a Facebook page is definately the way to go. It's the world we live in.

Morgantownfats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have had pretty good luck sending flyers or taking flyers with me to other pool rooms when I was promoting an event. Just be prepared to help promote others events as well. One had washes the other. I think we can all help promote this sport!

DeepocketsAlvin

Registered
I dont have a problem at all posting other pool halls flyers. And I have done the facebook thing but I am just not sure how many actually see it. When you post something it works its way down the list on other peoples pages so unless they are lookig at it at the time you post it they dont really see it. Getting the word out about tournaments has been a challenge. I am just trying to figure out the different ways it can be done without it costing more to advertise than I will actually make.

Zims Rack

Promoting the Cueing Arts
Silver Member
Email me any flyers & I will put on my website & facebook. I have a lot of players looking for tourneys!

I think the pool rooms around my area would post flyers (St Louis/Metro East)

HDR10

HR Custom Cues
Silver Member
some will some wont!cant hurt to try!
the owner of our local WON'T unless paid(but he is a turd on a honey wagon)

highrun55

can`t make a ball anymore
Silver Member
put them up

I always post any flyers i receive, but I have been to rooms, i sent my flyer to and don`t see them anywhere.
We all have to work together or we all go down

highrun55

Professor

Registered
I would but, I'm of the opinion that we will all do better if we work together. I think most room owners feel the same way, it is just that the lack of coordination among us makes it appear that we schedule tournaments and the like on top of each other intentionally. Thus, people get the impression that we do things to spite each other. I think it is more a lack of coordination. Something forums like this room owner fourm help correct.

DeepocketsAlvin

Registered
I agree... I would never intentionally hurt another pool hall. I think if everyone would get on the same side we could really promote some good tournaments in our areas. My husband has on several occasions loaded up his truck with several players from our hall and taken them to play in another hall's tournament. But, the other hall only gets mad when they have players show up at one of our tournaments. If we take 5/6 players to promote thiers and they bring 5/6 to ours, how is that a bad deal? We would both have a successful tournament and make a little money.

topcat1953

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Send them Flyers!

I happened to stumble upon this thread and was intriqued by the topic. For ten years plus, I had a poolroom in PA. My strongest advertiser was my mailing list. I had a list for my regular local area social-serious players, another list for League type players and another list of regional A players. I had tremendous responses from all of those lists and the mailing was always well worth the price. It was a constant project to collect and update addresses. My staff was fully instructed to gather that type of info and they were always cooperative. There were some poolroom owners who did not see eye to eye with my practices and I soon learned who they were and left them alone. Too me, my mailing list was like gold.
Today, I would venture to say that collecting email addresses for the poolroom owner is even more valuable. Imagine sending out 100 or 200 email messages directly to positive or active leads.
Good Luck!!

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

We hang flyers for other regional tournaments, and we encourage players to support them.

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
I have never had a room owner say no to hanging a flyer when I have stopped in person. A mailed one may not get posted. I would make a contact list of players you know and see if they would be your minions and hand deliver them to their local rooms.

And while the internet is great you cannot depend solely on it for getting the word out. I think the small team turnout in Galveston awhile back would be the poster child for using more media forms than the internet.

cueandcushion

Cue & Cushion_STL_MO
Silver Member
We have always posted flyers for other rooms unless they were too large. Up to 11 by 14 is good. I do have people email me a picture and want me to print out a bunch of posters and put them up. Ummm...I dont do that.

I also got a poster once that was 90% advertising their website and sale prices on stuff and 10% of a tournament announcement. I thought that was over the line and did not post it. Tournaments help everyone in the business. I would say you have to respect the other guy trying to make a living in what you put on your poster and how to approach the other business.

DeepocketsAlvin

Registered
I totally agree. I would never ask someone to post our specials or even our weekly tournaments. We have different types of tournaments monthly and big events every now and again. I am just looking for a way to spread the word and in the process spread someone elses word. Lol.

Red Shoes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Always

Red Shoes Billiards...12009 S. Pulaski Rd. Alsip Illinois 60803 ALWAYS posts anybody's tournament announcements. (708) 388-3700 or web redshoesbilliards.com

J-Flo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
E-Mail and Craigs List

You can search Dex for your state or area and get e-mail address for most halls that are listed. Send an short letter and a PDF attch and all will peak to see what yours looks like (kinda like at the bathroom urinall) most will display. Craigslist is good cause you can target large areas fast. List a cue for sale and at bottom post a flyer for the event they also have a community section on there that works for finding player for legues and turnys