Warmup Routine

thejeffcho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any suggestions on how to effectively warm-up before a practice session/competition?

A routine that's been working for me before each practice session is to roll 10 balls on the table, and just start shooting them all in with ball in hand after each miss. Rather than focusing on results (i.e. running balls and playing perfect position), I instead focus on each of the following 5 "mantras" per rack:

1) landing in line, and start practice strokes only when comfortably set up;
2) ending the eye pattern on the object ball, and focus on the set position/getting that "I'm ready" feeling before final stroke;
3) feeling the weight of the cue (this was in another thread--my way of feeling the pause)
4) pendulum stroke (moving only from elbow down);
5) staying down!

After 50 balls I feel like I'm ready for the drills/practice games. Only problem is that this routine takes forever and sometimes I don't have enough time before a match, and the voice in my head keeps wondering if I'm ready DURING the match. Any pointers?

softshot

Simplify
Silver Member
my daily warm up consists of a stop shot line 5 perfect stop shots at 1,2,3,4 and 5 diamonds away..

it's gotten to be a nice tool for staying in stroke as well.. I do it nearly every day (whether I shoot more that day or not) and I can't remember going 2 days in a row without it..

it tells you so much about your game ..

how your aim is. and if its off it tells you which way to adjust..

it tells you if your spin/speed control is off.. and how to adjust to refine it back to perfect.

it took me a long time to master.. almost a year in fact.. but now that I have I find it to be an excellent barometer of my game on any given day..

Last edited:

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thejeffcho...Mother Drills 1 & 2 are all that's necessary to 'warm up' your stroke process...once you have established it. They take only a few minutes, and give you all the feedback you need. The stop shot drill mentioned by softshot is great too, but requires a much better stroke.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Eagles89

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
drills

thejeffcho...Mother Drills 1 & 2 are all that's necessary to 'warm up' your stroke process...once you have established it. They take only a few minutes, and give you all the feedback you need. The stop shot drill mentioned by softshot is great too, but requires a much better stroke.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com
whats the mother drills 1&2 seen in a few forums can you answer.em me at follisjerry@yahoo.com