Warning about Benny's Cues

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why did you buy a $60 cue from overseas?

Thanks for the warning, but the previous question screams "caveat emptor, pal"

Was $300 for two of them. I did tell my son that the cheap Philipino cues are pretty badly made, quickly, not a lot of attention to detail. However painted design is a bit much.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well you have to hand it to them, their painter is fairly amazing. Did you have any pics before it got sanded down? I have come across a lot of cues that look to be a type of vinyl print wrapped onto the cue. Or else it is a printed tube that is shrunk onto the cue after it is made. Some look real nice and are difficult to see that they are effectively a fake pointed cue etc.

I thought I took pictures of the cue to show people the finish bubble, it looked pretty perfect when I looked at it, rings looked good, aside from the finish issue. Hopefully my son learned a lesson here, trying to save money on a cut rate product usually ends up costing double in the long run. Here we have either no cue or a cue that costs a few more 100 to fix hehe.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Imagine how this owner felt about the handle on his wrapless cue?
SURPRISE!

Attachments

• IMG_210622_020030.jpg
    IMG_210622_020030.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_210622_015954.jpg
    IMG_210622_015954.jpg
    245.7 KB · Views: 231

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From left to right:

Steve Urate, Black pearl, Black pearl, Jenor Urate, Steve Urate

jenor urate made a cue for me that had the most beautiful amboyna burl i've seen, ring work and inlays were top notch. no complaints at all. it was a good playing cue but i sold it because of shifting to LD. i guess experiences with PI cue makers varies

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jenor urate made a cue for me that had the most beautiful amboyna burl i've seen, ring work and inlays were top notch. no complaints at all. it was a good playing cue but i sold it because of shifting to LD. i guess experiences with PI cue makers varies

But why not just swap the shaft to an LD? The rest of the cue does not matter. I have one main playing cue butt and like 4 shafts I play around with. The higher end imports are well made, but seems the cheaper stuff is even cheaper than I thought it was.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But why not just swap the shaft to an LD? The rest of the cue does not matter. I have one main playing cue butt and like 4 shafts I play around with. The higher end imports are well made, but seems the cheaper stuff is even cheaper than I thought it was.
Your right. The Butt don't matter.
Make me a one piece, uncored Ebony Butt, 29 inches long and I want the Butt to weigh no more than 14.5 oz .

Have at it!

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought I took pictures of the cue to show people the finish bubble, it looked pretty perfect when I looked at it, rings looked good, aside from the finish issue. Hopefully my son learned a lesson here, trying to save money on a cut rate product usually ends up costing double in the long run. Here we have either no cue or a cue that costs a few more 100 to fix hehe.
well there really is no fix other than repaint it,,,,,,,, can't cost much

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Your right. The Butt don't matter.
Make me a one piece, uncored Ebony Butt, 29 inches long and I want the Butt to weigh no more than 14.5 oz .

Have at it!

Ok--provided you are fine with an OD far less than one inch!

On those photos you uploaded, were those actual cut points with veneers? Seems crazy to go through that effort and then try to save $2 by faking purplehart?

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok--provided you are fine with an OD far less than one inch!

On those photos you uploaded, were those actual cut points with veneers? Seems crazy to go through that effort and then try to save $2 by faking purplehart?
They were cut. Then the wood painted black around it. Not my work.

djv122385

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why did you buy a $60 cue from overseas?

Thanks for the warning, but the previous question screams "caveat emptor, pal"
Gotta agree with this one. If it was actually Ebony, the blank costs more than the cue he sold you. Pretty much knew from the start you were getting a garbage decal cue at best.